Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My long overdue 964 project

Whoop, sorted.

With a heavy heart I fitted a new set of discs (40 minutes, a new personal best) this morning and the judder has gone, I really didn't expect that.

I wondering, the discs had been powder coated by the previous owner, all surfaces except the braking surface faces and inner hub mounting face but including the inside of the vents as best I can see. Could the power coating or the coating process have warped the discs?

The question is, do I now fit my new and powder coated rears or take advantage of the Christmas sales and buy new - I think I might know the answer.

Thanks for the help and all the best.

Chuffed you've sorted it Steve, that calls for a celebratory wine!

Chris

Good news Steve :thumb:

Mr Bacchus said:
I wondering, the discs had been powder coated by the previous owner, all surfaces except the braking surface faces and inner hub mounting face but including the inside of the vents as best I can see. Could the power coating or the coating process have warped the discs?

Odd problem, especially if the discs are showing no run-out.

Powder coatings typically cure at 200 degC, so well below the potential temperatures that the discs run at. Maybe the vents have been clogged up with powder, causing the discs to go out of balance and creating a vibration which is discernible under braking? Or maybe the discs were out of balance even before the powder coating?

Hi All,

Finally, after waiting longer than I wanted, I have the wheel alignment done and a proper ride out yesterday.

Whilst I'm still grinning like a Cheshire cat, I'm a bit disappointed that the ride still seems very crashy at the rear, which is a surprise given all the suspension is new. Engine mounts also very recent. I seem to be able to feel every road scar in my bottom.

Any experts on here have a view, and what is your ride like :eek:

For the future...

I'm currently fitting a Tore Bergvill LED lights to the centre console after busting one of those teeny bulbs.

I managed to buy, at extremely good price, from OPC, new fuel delivery and return tubes. As some will recall, I sprung a leak last year and replaced half of the delivery tube with modern PTFE hose - but that was not sitting well so I thought I'd get the tubes in readiness.

Cheers

Well, now that my bodywork, wheels, suspension and brakes are sorted I thought I would start making the engine compartment look pretty.

I thought I would start with fan and add to the thousands of pictures of the same on these forums

Here is my method:

Top left - as removed
Top right - after 60 minutes of hand polishing - gave up!
Bottom left - media blasted
Bottom right - hand polished with steel wool and Mothers Mag polish, about 60 minutes.
Big picture - back in the car and protected with Gibbs Fluid.

I polished the inside of the cowl at the same time, but without blasting, and blew the alternator clean with compressed air.

All in about 2 hours of polishing, £15 of blasting. I'm quite pleased with the result.

Next the dreaded sound deadening that is hanging off following a fuel leak.

Fans.jpg

Hi Steve,

Your polished fan looks great! I'm planning on doing something similar with my 3.2. Will catch up on your details when on our next run.

Did you resolve the harsh ride? My suggestion is to drop the tyre pressures by 2psi.

Cheers, Keith.

Hi Steve,

You're really cracking on now, well done mate :thumb:

Cheers,
Paul

looks great Steve , i had my fan powder coated plus the black housing the paint is already coming off the housing ! ..

Note: tyre pressure i use is 36 all round just a little over is noticeable

deutschland-dobson said:
Who are you using to host the images now Steve?
Chris

Hi Chris,
I'm hosting on my own domain. I've had it for years for email only, so thought I'd put it to more use. I upload photos to the website with an FTP server thing and then link here as you would from Photobucket.

Cheers
Steve

Saw your pics on Facebook, looking grand!

Still smarting about photo bucket to be honest, I still need to go on and see if I can get my pics back!

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted on this project but I'm going to post some images of my engine work just as soon as I get them myself from the North East's most popular builders.

In the meantime has any one experience of the Pad Keeper for the engine bay? Are there any alternatives (carbon fibre?) and is the David Ketter product best bought from Tore Bergvill?

Thanks

Steve

A few random images from when the engine was out recently.

I had a broken head stud, discovered at the last routine service, so decided to have a few bits and bobs done whilst the engine was out. Namely:

Cyl head bolts.
Various seals replaced.
Some engine tins and consoles replaced.
Alternator refurbished.
Clutch release bearing and lever replaced.
Engine bulkhead pad thing replaced (I need a pad keeper now).
Gas struts on the engine lid.

I trusted the work to our local (North East) independents, D&G Porsche, and they provided great service.

Next on the list (sadly), other than a wheel alignment next week, is revisiting some bodywork issues.

Engine1.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Clutch.jpg

And the leftovers....

Leftovers.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back