Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Floating disc options for 996 GT3 ?

Pip1968

More just a chance to post and glean some expertise (probably from NXi20 but hopefully others too).

I still have plenty of life in my discs but as a look forward are there many option for going to a floating set up assuming I stay within the OEM 350mm set up. Are these ones (below) any good. anyone have any experience of them??

Pip

Attachments

• design911_138.png
    design911_138.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 4,346
Just buy Alcon for similar money i think. D911 brake disc who?..I doubt they even have stock but even if they did, that price will probably be plus vat too..?

You would be better off without a drilled disc too...they will crack prematurely same as OE. (Used on track)

My 2p

ditto. go for grilled on the floating bells Pip if you are spending that money.

no bigger in size either so speak to Nick at Uber 9s if you are doing the swap.

or stick to OEM discs and buy a few sets.

Ah I did notrealize Alcon did floaters in OEM sizes. I sort of assumed that you could only go for the upgrade 362mm.

Good news.

Thanks Senoj and Nick (Nick they are only "grilled" after being on track - predictive text ? :D )

Pip

If the car is seeing regular track use then you want a grooved but not drilled rotor (I've always used Alcons, but there are people out there with PF and Brembo). If you are not hitting the track with any serious frequency then just buy the (non-floating) 996 Cup disks at about 500 quid per pair (for the fronts) and put the savings towards a lighter set of wheels (more effect on reducing gyroscopic mass and not consumable).

I am a track attendee although in the last couple of years I have been waylaid. I have only been to the Nordschleife which do not seem to be to bad on disc wear. Probably best described as a 'hobby driver' (those that were ever on the old BM3W site will remember the guy who was always using that expression).

Are the Cup disc of the floating variety and grooved too Disco or just cheaper than OEM non Cup?

Pip

Pip1968 said:
I am a track attendee although in the last couple of years I have been waylaid. I have only been to the Nordschleife which do not seem to be to bad on disc wear. Probably best described as a 'hobby driver' (those that were ever on the old BM3W site will remember the guy who was always using that expression).

Are the Cup disc of the floating variety and grooved too Disco or just cheaper than OEM non Cup?

Pip

Cup disc is bi metal but not floating. Even Alcons can be non floating depends on the bells and bobbins you use.

I was on BM3W donkeys years ago...what happened? Did it morph into cutters..not the same thing at all really :floor:

Right if I went to a non OEM disc I would probably try and get a floating type :?:

I am not sure what went on there really. I think it was some sort of fallout even though the people on there were such a good bunch and all quite grown up as well as being a brilliant source of information. Cutters seems to be a bit boy racer "Innit bruv" and I sort of assumed they were not linked to BM3W.

I jumped onto CSL Register and only occasionally look at Cutters.

Pip

Agree - grooved better for track use than drilled.

I've been using grooved GiroDiscs with RS29s from 9e.
I haven't used Alcons but they get good press too.

I've been through all the options and has OEM, Cup, PFC, Girodisc and now Alcon.

If you're going to do a fair amount of track work or just want the best then go with Alcon.

2nd is Girodisc, well made, slotted, relatively priced, Ken @ 9e supported. Additional factor of good life and weight. When I was researching I got the following rear weights as reference:

Girodisc slotted 350x28mm rear = 18.19lbs/ 8.25kg
The PF dimpled 350x28mm rear = 22lbs/ 10.0kg
Stock/OEM drilled 350x28mm rear = 22.05lbs/ 10.02kg

There's actually a fair amount of info here if you search.

:thumb:

Another vote for the Girodiscs. I have the slotted versions on my 996.2 GT3 with RS29 pads, excellent combination.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back