Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A few notes from a very smug 911 owner.

T8, great to see someone that truly enjoys the whole ownership experience so much and still gives it a European run or two per year :thumb: increasing financials are great, driving it is priceless..

I'm similar, although wish I had not sold my 993 Turbo, or to matter my 964 Turbo. I've had it longer though and due to around 10k of mods and some common things giving up I've spent more.

Still love it though, and its a much hated black on black manual !

Good cars these ticks nearly every box, even the "its all to easy to drive fast" box, and I think its one of the best looking 911's, though it very nearly went for a F430 a month back.

Need to use mine more, as I'm loving the M3, so I have drove it once this year !!

I am going to try and make this big beaulieu meet with it. :thumb:

I agree with man maths I bought 997.1 trip turbo from pct my second from them for £47k 12 months later 56k on clock I've had it valued by an independent for the Insurance and its come in at £54k I have spent £2-3k on it on nice things such as carbon dipping trips to Le Mans, plus next month spent hours and hours polishing and unwinding after a stressful day wish my Range Rover sport was as good like all things one goes up and the other goes down or breaks down thank good for Land Rover warranties

You Can't beat it, hears to winning again at lemans I shall be there to enjoy it with my son for bottles of leffe and food and spectical.

In the words of joe Walsh life's been good to me so far

Beautiful 911. Nowt wrong with red either. My childhood dream. After Sam Fox :wink:

Looks really great in Guards red. I really like the bright colours. I missed out on a Speed Yellow car when I was looking which I'm still gutted about.

I eventually bought a manual Atlas Grey Turbo in August 2014 with 28k miles for £41k. It now has 34k and despite the usual consumables, has been reasonably trouble free. I've added a Kline exhaust, TPC racing DSC module and a few other bits and bobs, but even now nearly 3yrs later I don't think it would owe me much if I decided to sell it.

Not sure what I'd swap it for though, so I think it'll be staying with me for a while longer. Really are great cars.

Another year on and more than ever I can't believe just how cost effective running such an awesome car has been.

By the time I get back from Beaulieu next Sunday 'Red' and I will have covered 20,000 miles in our 39 months together and without wanting to tempt fate I'm assuming I won't have to have paid out anything else on her by then.

Incredibly in that 39 months my trusty spreadsheet hasn't needed updating very often but it seemed a timely moment to revisit it and update this thread accordingly.

I won't refer in detail regarding the costs of Insurance, tax and petrol as those would be incurred in keeping any car on the road. For those that are interested, an average of £401 p.a Insurance, tax currently at £535 and an overall mpg of 21.9 mpg are the key figures.

Regarding the cost of owning my car specifically:

On Day 1 I paid out £44,700 for the car that had just received a major service and everything it needed to also include a full 12 month warranty. Since then pre-warranty inspections and renewals have cost me £4035, servicing and non-warranty items have added £2299 and tyres a further £1710.

The grand total cost of owning my car to date is therefore £52,744.

With 68,264 miles now showing I am once again considering whether to change for something newer but as any replacement 911 I'd be interested in would mean me adding at least £15k I feel inclined to just get on with enjoying every mile. As it stands today she's only done 6000 miles on her current set of tyres, won't need a service until February 2019 and is under warranty until February 2020 so I'm trusting that she'll see me through this year with no additional expenditure.

Whilst on display at a car show recently a fellow Guards Red enthusiast examined my car in detail. He told me that he'd been looking for a Mezger 997T for a while and asked if I'd consider selling it proclaiming that my car ticked every possible box for him - model, colour combo, tiptronic, sunroof etc - and that condition wise it was far better than anything else he'd viewed.

We discussed current asking prices and he didn't baulk when I suggested that I wouldn't let mine go for less than £53k. He gave me his phone number and asked that I give him first call whenever that time comes.

Checking the classifieds it seems that, after a short spell of them not moving, in recent weeks asking prices are on the rise again and it appears that my suggested figure wasn't actually as ambitious as I thought.

Obviously at that time I wasn't aware of my ownership cost figures (as shown above) so today I found it very interesting to note that, purely by coincidence, if I was to take his £53k I would have recouped every penny that the car has cost me.

It's amazing to note that the longer I've had the car the less it's actually cost me to own. :thumbs:

Great news when almost financially neutral motoring is achieved. A profit possibly would have n the future

Hi only have a old 996 and paid £23k for it. However dred to know how much I have spent on it LOL 😂. However. Happy Dayzz indeed

Great write up and update, having seen your car up close it really is in top condition and you'll definitely make a little on it when you do decide to sell it on :)

Great post and an interesting read.

Can't think of many other cars that would achieve similar "running costs" and be a fun car to drive.

Personally I'd hold onto the car for another year and see where the market is then.

It's good to see you using it and enjoying it, that's the main thing :thumb:

I'm not sure on the marmite?.. it's guards :dont know: surely macadama, forest green etc are marmite, guards is the holy grail (along with White obviously) :grin:

Great thread and a very similar experience to my own. Purchased in July 2015 997.1 Manual with 56k on the clock for £46k. Three years later and now sitting at 71k on the clock, 3 Euro trips under its belt and the north coat 500. I have spent a bit more on mods & detailing, but most mods are removable if required and it's still in amazing condition. I'm fairly confident if I sold tomorrow I could break even which is amazing. This is the first car I have owned that has not cost me thousands in depreciation and it just ads to the joy of owning and using such a wonderful car. Long may it continue as I can't think of anything that would compare to it for less than double it's value!

Nice one T8 :thumb:

Looking forward to meeting you and the turbo at simply :grin:

And everyone else and their cars :grin:

Hi T8, I've recently bought a Turbo Tip and your correct on values on the up again.
I looked at a few cars with miles varying from 50k upwards and there are some uncared for cars out there on the market.
I ended up buying one with higher miles than I really wanted 75k but had it inspected by OPC who asked me if I didn't buy they would so hopefully I've bought a good one.
It did have a new tip box under warranty at 60k miles.
Still got OPC warranty on it for another 8 months also.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back