Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1st track day oil question

simonsti

I'm doing my 1st trackday at Anglesey tomorrow in my 6tt and was wondering what oil level is ok. I checked last night and it was bang on half way, I know it's bad to be too full but is this enough?

Absolutely fine. Enjoy!

simonsti said:
I'm doing my 1st trackday at Anglesey tomorrow in my 6tt and was wondering what oil level is ok. I checked last night and it was bang on half way, I know it's bad to be too full but is this enough?

Hi Simon, will be at Anglesey tomorrow in the same car. I always run mine at max or 1 bar down, just puts more oil in the system to absorb the heat. If it is ever over-filled you will be in trouble though.....

See you tomorrow, silver 996T

Mike

I personally wouldn't run it at full. Oil can get warmer when running on track which causes the density of the oil to drop resulting in a larger volume of oil in the system.

As for the argument of having more oil making it act like a heat sink, I'm not sure how much effect it will have when at operating temperature, although I do agree it would take the oil a little longer to reach operating temperature in the beginning.

Run it this way for5 years with no ill effects. Definitely a no go to over fill though. I figure that Porsche have tested the Mezger thoroughly so would advise if it was a bad idea to run full. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong though, every day is a school day!

Thanks for the replies, I'll probably stick a bit more in just to be on the safe side.
I'll look out for you Mike. :thumb:

I thought for tracking you want to run at max to avoid starvation issues under cornering and braking. I think right hand turns are a particular 996 issue?

Actually, I run at max all the time anyway :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back