Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Front Bumper

rocket_richard

I have been mulling over the ways to get my car back to an original state over the months the car was away getting the engine re-built. Now I'm thinking about the front bumper, I'm just not sure about it? It's not original and it does give me the impression that the car is trying to be something it's not. Does the vent really improve cooling or is it purely aesthetic?

So, should I swap it for an original one? I have found one that needs painting for £50 on eBay.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uyujvly25z9g0y/Photo 06-05-2017, 09 10 01.jpg?dl=0

I'm sure the original PU was designed by the boffins at Porsche to be more than adequate for the cooling needed. With this mind it comes down to personal opinion and the "look" you want to go for.

I am one for OE myself but I quite like the front PU you have there - I'd be tempted to add some rear aero :thumb:

I think it looks good! Be wary of a bumper off ebay for only £50!! Soinds a bit too cheap, any damage on it?

The smile grille will be purely aesthetic, as you will find if you look behind it there is nothing there, on a car it is designed for there is a duct that goes down to a centre rad, this rad would assist cooling as its angled differently to the centre rad you find on tips which is designed to cool the gearbox not the engine and the one on the tip vents under the car not through the smile grille.
If you hate it I would get the one off ebay get it painted ,and sell on ebay the one with the grille to cover much of the swap cost.
personally I like the smile grilles but it is personal choice as on any non GT car they are purely aesthetic. :thumb:

I dont think it looks like its trying to be something its not these cars lend themselves to being personalised and having bits added . unless its badged as something its not then I see no issue. :thumb: :thumb:

I can see where you are thinking. The darker colours cars seem to be more accepting of the smile GT vent. Whereas the Arctic silver ones give the impression you've got a big hole in the front without the rest of the GT body kit.
I'd put it back to standard via a breakers yard and sell that one you've got now.
Personal choice at the end of a decision, it's your car so have it styled how you want it to look. No right or wrong decision.

The ebay bumper is pretty scratched but undamaged and it's black! I'll get it painted and see how it looks, but I do like the stock look.

Thank you for the input so far. :D :thumbs:

Lovely looking car but if it were mine I'd put an aero kit on or back to standard, no in between for me.

Incidentally, what did you have done to the engine? Symptoms etc beforehand?

:thumb:

Alfaian said:

I had no symptoms just a catastrophic failure. Thankfully I was very lucky that I bought the car from an honourable dealer who worked with the warranty company and Hartech to get the car back on the road. It took a little time but I am delighted I waited as I now have a car I can trust.

The long and sorry tale can found here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118500&highlight=minutes

Nightmare richard and I remember the thread and contributed to it.

It's mad why the ims bearing wasn't changed in the original re build :what:

Bumper looks good, i would leave it on !! Pic of my bumper below, its how i visualised mine.. and i like it..

J

Attachments

• 20170514_203452_166.jpg
    20170514_203452_166.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 3,968
rocket_richard said:
I have been mulling over the ways to get my car back to an original state

It will never been in its original state as the engine has been rebuilt by Hartech! I like the smile grille and think your car looks very nice. I'm sure there will be another owner on the site with the same colour that would do a pu swap :?:

rocket_richard said:
Alfaian said:

I had no symptoms just a catastrophic failure. Thankfully I was very lucky that I bought the car from an honourable dealer who worked with the warranty company and Hartech to get the car back on the road. It took a little time but I am delighted I waited as I now have a car I can trust.

The long and sorry tale can found here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118500&highlight=minutes

I was following your thread with interest, debating with myself what I would have done in your situation, but I never saw a final update to you getting your car back. Did I miss it? The thread above doesn't seem to have a final update?!

Glad you have it all sorted, now go and enjoy it! :thumb:

I thought everyone was bored with the thread. Maybe I should write a posting so end the story, it does have a happy ending!

I think you should add a final update, there was a lot of interest in the thread!

Back to this thread, i'm a stock man myself and like to keep everything standard, that's why I paid just under £3k to get my local OPC to retrofit a PSE just after I bought my car; it ticked all of my other must-haves but was missing the PSE. Mad I know considering I could have got a better exhaust system that was non-oem for less money!

Overall its a personal preference really; the grill looks good in the pic but those who know Porsches recognize its an add-on and may think the car is trying to be something it is not. If you've found a standard bumper that is cheap to buy and respray then worth a shot to see which you prefer. :thumb:

The £50 bumper arrived today and it looks dirty and scratched but, in pretty good condition. I dropped it off with the body shop guy in town and he agreed with my assessment of it's condition. He's not the cheapest at £250 but, the trade use him and he's the best around. I'll collect it when I'm back from work in a week and see which one I like the best.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back