Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carwow (Mat Vlogs ) 996 suspension upgrade

wasz said:
gc99634 said:
I tried the par number you gave me with my local OPC for the 996.2 mo30 kit 911munky but they said they couldn't trace it? We are getting a local OPC in teesside shortly so I am going to check there when it opens. Which OPC did you use as the new one is still part of the same group who don't seem overly helpful. Thanks

This list might well indicate what stock is left, you'll note theres no 3.4 coupe variation listed :sad:

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt65_1385_-cma81-cmo110/Porsche/996--911--1997-05/Porsche-Kits/

Inevitably you'll also need a load of other bits too. Top mounts (get sachs), bump stops, and you'll likely have to cut your front drop links off. Probably worth whacking in a full set of coffin, forked and rear doggone arms whilst its in bits.

Should handle like new after that!

It is advertised, but may not be available. As well as OPC and the other recognized suppliers, I tried design911 who were very helpful and tried not only the manufacturers, but their other contacts including Europe and the US to find me a kit. All to no avail at the time.

These kits are very reasonably priced and they are OEM as well which was important for me, so if anyone suspects their suspension could do with an overhaul in the future, I would look out for these kits and keep them until you need to fit them.

Unless I am missing something the design 911 price is £1140 Inc so if I can get one from an OPC the £300 saved will go some way to getting the other parts to replace everything. Just need the correct part number to check with OPCs. I think carnewal are a bit cheaper than d911 but still more expensive than the quoted OPC price. I could do with new arbs so the kit is very appealing.

gc99634 said:
Unless I am missing something the design 911 price is £1140 Inc so if I can get one from an OPC the £300 saved will go some way to getting the other parts to replace everything. Just need the correct part number to check with OPCs. I think carnewal are a bit cheaper than d911 but still more expensive than the quoted OPC price. I could do with new arbs so the kit is very appealing.

Hi gc99634, when I was looking for the kits in Dec, and supported by 911munKy's experience, OPCs and other suppliers were advertising these kits at £850 - 900 inclusive of VAT. Design911 was closer to £850. As these are German made and subject to currency fluctuation, I expect the price increase is down to the drop in the Value of £ sterling since the June referendum of approx 20%? It would be good if OPC prices are lower than the independent suppliers by 20%, but past practices tells me this is highly unlikely - worth checking out though.

Ah yeah suppose that makes sense. Do you mind giving me the details you were able to get a price from the OPC using please?

Hi gc99634,

I left the pursuit of the kit from official Porsche sources to the Indie I use, so I don't know where was contacted. I was told by the indie, they are normally around £900, (last time they fitted a kit) but have not been available for some time, and none were. I presume they used OPC Blackburn and possibly head office.

In an effort to avoid paying for the components on an individual component basis, I carried out the more time consuming task of ringing around a large number of the other dependent suppliers. Frustratingly, many were showing the kits as 'in stock', but when I tried to purchase they said they would have to order them in and then realised they weren't available. As I said earlier design911 tried very hard to source for me.

I think 911munKy was fortunate there was a kit available that was close to his requirements. Note, my car is a cab, and I was prepared to consider as a final resort fitting a coupe kit if one was available and the handling would't be a problem, but nothing was available.

I have to say, with the M030 kit at the price it is, I'd much rather put something with a real pedigree on the car, even if it is more expensive.

If it was nearer to the original price, then it's a good step up as it has the stiffer ARBs (which do help). Worth noting that the front M030 ARB is the same as a Boxster S standard one, unfortunately the rear one is a bit more expensive to source; I managed to find one new for £150 so fitted those as an initial 'step up' from the base 'comfort spec' suspension. They do flatten the car out and make it a little more pointy.

Long term, à–hlins R&T are going on my car, and I'll look at bushes too - either Poly or monoballs. One thing in that article that disappointed me is he used standard top mounts, which is foolish when you have such good dampers, you really want top mounts with a spherical bearing to avoid the undamped spring effect of the original rubber mounts. Those ARB drop links won't last long without weather shields on the spherical joints either.

Nice to hear that the à–hlins ride so well though. Make the car into a sports car rather than a fairly soft (albeit capable) grand tourer designed to suit fat bankers.

Cheers for the info guys much appreciated. I am sure there are better but the mo30 kit still appeals to me on my limited budget and limited knowledge :D

gc99634 said:
I tried the par number you gave me with my local OPC for the 996.2 mo30 kit 911munky but they said they couldn't trace it? We are getting a local OPC in teesside shortly so I am going to check there when it opens. Which OPC did you use as the new one is still part of the same group who don't seem overly helpful. Thanks

I used Tonbridge OPC, it took them a couple of days to order it in,
maybe I just got lucky?

If you can't get M030 at a decent price try Bilstein B6 dampers and, say, Eibach springs, I wouldn't worry about replacing the ARB's just replace the other suspension components and bushes. It will cost a more but will be much cheaper than quality coilovers (I was advised to give cheap coilovers a wide berth) unless you are into track days.

thecarfixer said:
Long term, à–hlins R&T are going on my car, and I'll look at bushes too - either Poly or monoballs. One thing in that article that disappointed me is he used standard top mounts, which is foolish when you have such good dampers, you really want top mounts with a spherical bearing to avoid the undamped spring effect of the original rubber mounts. Those ARB drop links won't last long without weather shields on the spherical joints either.

This is essentially the exact place I end up, having started out from a MO30 setup that was then fully polybushed and a GT3 rear ARB fitted...
- so far the Rennline/Tarrett top mounts that seem to be the ones from my research, as fitting them in combination with the Ohlins should mean that the weather seals are retained (whereas they would need to be removed if fitting with a standard factory option shock)

http://www.rennline.com/Strut-Mounts/products/877/

Would be nice to find an effectively weather sealed set of adjustable droplinks is such a thing can even exist... (my own research hasn't extended this far yet)

Just an update I have located an m030 kit from France, the last one the place had in stock. Just waiting on arrival now. Wasn't far off OPC price so went for it. Thanks for help guys.

Well bit of a strange situation and just looking for interest at the moment. After trying to find one kit it appears I have two so just gauging interest from anyone who might want to purchase a 3.6 M030 kit (not looking to make money just to cover costs).
I haven't totally decided to sell as yet but PM me if you are interested and we can discuss and I can send photos etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back