Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TC button / TC off button MY98 MY99

Pearcy

Hi,

I am aware that all 97/98 C2's were cable throttle and that majority had TC. I believe these had a 'TC off' button on the dash?

IRO MY99 C2's, specifically looking at one with 030/220/222 it has a 'TC' button on the dash. Does this mean it's a cable throttle car? - this particular one was manufactured early very early Jan 1999

Thanks!

I can't answer your question, but you can spot a cable throttle car from a photo of the engine bay if that's any help. The throttle bodies are different (fbw has a plug on the side or something - google will clarify).

As mentioned, the easiest way to spot a cable throttle car is to open the boot and look for the cable. As you look at the throttle body it will be on the right hand side. I believe that the C2 changed from cable to e-gas at some point in MY99 so if yours is an early one it might be cable throttle. It looks like this:

MC

As above for visual confirmation, but regarding the TC button, where fitted, it does mean mechanical cable, eGas models are PSM.

TC on cable throttle was an option, my MY99 doesn't have it.

TBH the TC is so basic its not worth looking for. AFAIK it just retards the ignition to cut the power when slip detected, which you can do with your right foot.

Personally I've never missed it, having had similar basic TC in other cars.

PSM on later cars and c4 would be worth having, as its the proper individual brake setup of modern cars, but some say those cars are different to drive with increased electronic interference, so you have a trade off.

I do wish I had cruise control though, which is an easy mod on a electronic throttle car, but on a cable throttle you need a cable actuator wiring in.

MisterCorn said:
As mentioned, the easiest way to spot a cable throttle car is to open the boot and look for the cable. As you look at the throttle body it will be on the right hand side. I believe that the C2 changed from cable to e-gas at some point in MY99 so if yours is an early one it might be cable throttle. It looks like this:

MC

Thanks, but forgot to check when I viewed the car! hence asking on here re TC button on dash

GT4 said:
As above for visual confirmation, but regarding the TC button, where fitted, it does mean mechanical cable, eGas models are PSM.

Great! - that's the info I was looking for, thanks for confirming that :)

wasz said:

TBH the TC is so basic its not worth looking for. AFAIK it just retards the ignition to cut the power when slip detected, which you can do with your right foot.

PSM on later cars and c4 would be worth having, as its the proper individual brake setup of modern cars, but some say those cars are different to drive with increased electronic interference, so you have a trade off.

I do wish I had cruise control though, which is an easy mod on a electronic throttle car, but on a cable throttle you need a cable actuator wiring in.

Not looking for TC, but am specifically looking for a cable throttle C2 coupe, pref with M030/220.

Not generally a fan of 'egas' type throttles - have that on the daily driver, looking for something purer on the 'weekend toy' but I appreciate that we're all looking for different things depending on personal preference/opinion :)

wasz said:

As indicated ("where fitted"), yes it was an (expensive) option.

I believe the OP was simply looking for a way of determining (confirming) a mechanical cable model.

Although optional TC was not fitted to all non-eGas, IF it is fitted (ie TC button on dash) that does confirm the car is non-eGas.

As MC mentioned, best bet (in person) is the visible cable!

If perusing Autotrader ads (for example), the TC button is more likely to be posted as a general dash shot than a close up of the throttle body! (although it obviously only confirms a very small proportion of perfectly valid non-eGas)

Pearcy said:
Not looking for TC, but am specifically looking for a cable throttle C2 coupe, pref with M030/220.

Not generally a fan of 'egas' type throttles - have that on the daily driver, looking for something purer on the 'weekend toy' but I appreciate that we're all looking for different things depending on personal preference/opinion :)

I have a '98 M030/220 car with TC
- it also has >200k mileage... because its good to drive and has been driven every day i.e. don't let high mileage put you off if you find the spec you want

FYI - TC is a performance enhancement, not a safety aid (like PSM) i.e. it is intended to allow you to apply a heavy right foot with reduced finesse yet more consistent results when accelerating/launching the car hard..... so you might find you rather like finding the little TC button : )

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back