Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paint - how far to go and where to go?

Leosayer

My 993 has got some typical problems - stone chips on the luggage cover and front wings, scabby wheel arches and some strange rust inside the door shuts. Some pics below.

The rest of the car is pretty good ie. roof, door and rear wings (apart from the arches).

I had the windscreen surround seen to a few years back, but I'd like a new windscreen because it's pitted to hell.

First question is - where to go to get it seen to? I'm in NE London but happy to travel if necessary.

Second question - how far to go? Should I get local repairs done or go the whole hog with a respray? It's not a daily driver but not a garage queen either. I use it in all weathers.

Attachments

• p1020776_153.jpg
    p1020776_153.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 5,838
  • p1020779_510.jpg
    p1020779_510.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 5,838
  • p1020781_467.jpg
    p1020781_467.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 5,838
  • p1020784_129.jpg
    p1020784_129.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 5,838
  • p1020788_651.jpg
    p1020788_651.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 5,838
  • p1020793_187.jpg
    p1020793_187.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 5,838
Colour match is an important consideration. Hard on silver and in particular Polar silver.

I really rate Harpenden Performance and Classics - ask for the owner, Kieran. Really old school and knows his onions. If you're NE London it shouldn't be that far from you.

The car looks a pile of poo, I think Zingari will probably offer you £15k with a bit of luck.
No seriously, these cars are now 20+ years old and surely it is simply a case of a bit of annual expenditure to stop a bit of rust getting serious. I have a little wheel arch corrosion which needs sorting, but we are not talking a complete respray here and looking at the photos neither are you.

Give Tyrone @ Riviera Autobody a bell. He always has loads of old & new pork & other high-end stuff in for work. He's honest about what's required & won't lift your leg on the bill. I've been using him for years. Top bloke.

http://www.rivieraautobody.co.uk/

That rust where the rear wing folds over the B pillar worries me the most. Is the other side the same? How do the spot welds look where the rear wing is welded to the car under the engine cover? Are they nice and smooth underneath as well.

phelix said:
That rust where the rear wing folds over the B pillar worries me the most. Is the other side the same? How do the spot welds look where the rear wing is welded to the car under the engine cover? Are they nice and smooth underneath as well.

The other side is almost clean, just some minor bubbling about 2cm starting at the seam.

Under the engine covers looks fine, see pic. Smooth underneath.

Attachments

• img_20170513_205357_697.jpg
    img_20170513_205357_697.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 5,708
Thanks for the quick reply. The other spot to check is inside the rain gutters near the back of the rear window - you should be able to feel a slight unevenness in the trough where the rear wing has been welded to the roof. It should only be slight and the same on both sides.

My suspicion is/was that a rear wing was replaced and not sealed properly but so far your checks don't support that.

I would strongly suggest using a shop that understands how aircooled 911s are put together to ensure that the rust is fully removed rather than just ground out at the surface and then painted over only to reappear in a few years.

Thanks for your quick replies Phelix.

The trough matches your description on both sides. Here's a pic of the offside - same side as the rusty bit.

Attachments

• img_20170513_213554_379.jpg
    img_20170513_213554_379.jpg
    721.8 KB · Views: 5,674
rust

I agree that the most worrying bit is the bottom of the b pillars. I suspect that will be more than a rub down and treat with rust inhibitor to sort that. My wheel arches are much the same as yours but when I asked the bodyshop that did my scuttle he said he would have to paint the whole side of the car. I am sure a good painter could do just the arches.

Looks like the original welds have been drilled out and a new wing attached using puddle welds, also the whole area is a bit messy,bits of solder etc. Not how it would have come from the factory.
If it was mine and a keeper I would do a full bare metal respray,maybe leave the roof? To see what's lerking under the paint. But silver is very difficult to match especially polar, I had my windscreen surrounded repaired at a top body shop and in some lights you can see the colour difference. What does the near side wing look like?
Steve

I use bob at rga in Vauxhall for both servicing and bodywork. He is thorough and his labour rate is very reasonable. He also Tells me off for not using my car enough so likes seeing well used cars!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back