Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT - In, then out, then in love again!

DANK_ART said:
ok, any idea where to get one, can't find them anywhere!?

Any OPC mate - part number 996 580 981 00

Should be circa £1,200

thanks, i'll see what they say, when you mention trim cutting, which trim is cut, i really don't want to visibly cut or alter / damage any pert of the car, so it remains 100% standard if cage is removed. Do you have any pics of the trim you mention needs cutting?

thanks

Seeing this thread makes me want to put seats/cage in mine :( Nice work OP!

DANK_ART said:
thanks, i'll see what they say, when you mention trim cutting, which trim is cut, i really don't want to visibly cut or alter / damage any pert of the car, so it remains 100% standard if cage is removed. Do you have any pics of the trim you mention needs cutting?

thanks

Not visible at all, small piece at bottom of b pillar. I'll get a pic!

I'm guessing you could probably cut a flap so damage is minimal and when cage is removed possibly invisible.

Nice work. Seats. engine mounts and a good geo setup work wonders on these cars. :thumb:

If you ever fancy increasing your rear footprint for a little more traction, I have a couple of OEM GT2 12" Wide Rears sat in the garage.

C.

any pics!? keen to see what it looks like

the cage they have on Design911 looks very nice, like the X bars in the centre rather than one horizontal for harnesses which i'll never instal as it will never go on track!

think that's about £1k plus £500 fitting, same price as Tequiptment?

P996RB_LR1.jpg

So - I thought it was about time that I updated this thread!

Yesterday I took my car to Donington for it's first 'official' track day. I have done a couple of Milbrook session etc previously, but this was the first time I was letting it loose on a proper track... loose being the way to describe my driving style it would seem!

I attended with a friend in his first outing in his 991 GT3, and his nephews... seasoned racers (Radicals / Caterhams & soon to be more serious drives).

Firstly - the day.

If you have never experienced a proper track day - do it. I was amazed at the etiquette of the majority, and also hugely surprised by the pace I had around there. Expecting to be spending the day letting everyone go, I found it was more balanced. Also on the day were a couple of race teams - including an Aston GT4 car, couple of Audi TT race cars and a historic cup XK120! So a real mix.

I did spend some time under instruction - but that was in the afternoon. Was really pleased with the Milbrook sessions, this training flooded back, with throttle and steering control being more precise then it would have prior to those session.

My pace built through the day, to periods I was over stepping my skill limits - forcing myself to reign it in. Which culminated in a 4 wheel slide through Craner Curves - probably from backing off the power thinking I was going to fast. Car gathered it perfectly - but was a lesson for me in taking it easier!

That leads onto the car.

Firstly... the positives. The pace the car could carry on the straights on a track like Donny really helped. Learning to carry this speed will also really help. Most of the time the car felt planted, and was quick to gather up my mistakes.. of which there were several. I learnt that to much pace into corners, with to rapid progression onto the throttle sent me straight into oversteer. I didn't encounter any spins, but I was very close. The steering felt direct, with the RSS engine mounts removing some of the potential sway from the engine. At high speeds the car feels at home, really urging you to push on.

The flip of that however....

I had a major issue with brake cooling - despite cool down laps I was having to come in every 5 laps at most. Hammering the anchors from high speed highlighted the weight of the car, had never really noticed it until yesterday. The other issue I had was major brake judder when the brakes were hot - this may be a recurring problem with a hub I've had previously that I'll look into.

This does show that one of the first things I'll do is a brake upgrade - advice welcome.

Attached to that is the standard suspension set up. Although it was fine, it did feel like it struggled with fast changes of direction. I countered this my taking left and rights in 2 movements... left.. balance... right etc. But a stiffer, more compliant suspension set up would help. This again highlighted the cars weight

So in summary - I had a great day, really tested myself and learnt my car on a level I've never experienced. I'll certainly do more track days - but have to think long and hard about my options... I.e.. do I continue to modify the turbo, or sell and buy a more track specific car. Is it an awesome car... undoubtedly. But to get it right for what I now want it for.. I'm on a knife edge with it!

Food for thought! :bye:

Hi
Really enjoying this thread and thank you for sharing :thumb:

Had my turbo for over a dozen years now and it has evolved somewhat!

Having just returned from our annual visit to Germany/Austria/Italy and France, I can honestly say how proud I am of mine in the variety of cars that we share between us on these incredible trips
You have now hit the inevitable point that most turbo drivers meet in that the standard suspension and brakes are really only 'adequate' :grin:

I had this back in 2010 when Matt at Fearnsport carried out the engine upgrades and although my brakes were pretty new, he said i'd be back for brakes in the near future and my first trip to Route Napoleon a few months later proved him absolutely correct. (I had already had KWv3 fitted only 3 months and 1 track day after I bought it so that was already sorted in that department)

there are many options covered on this excellent site and the one I would thoroughly recommend FWIW is the 996 3RS 6 pots up front / 997 turbo discs all round / RS29 pads / regular fresh brake fluid - superb and I've never had any probs with them since whether in 30degC on mountain Passes or track days

they are brilliant cars but they really need these updates to fully enjoy them IMHO :thumbs:

Re Brake Upgrade.

Dont mess about!

Totally agree with snb993 above.

997 Turbo/gt3 Calipers/discs bolt straight on, 8mm slightly longer calliper bolts required.

Most importantly Pagid RS-29 Yellows.

I spent 2 years of trying the best solution to a very soggy/vague pedal. I resisted the Pagid pads due to the cost, but from the moment I fitted them and pulled out of my drive onto my lane I was astounded by the difference....your lap times and confidence will be transformed as well!! :thumb:

Thanks Guys - certainly on the lookout now for 6 pots. Pair on ebay at the moment but think it's important to sort a couple of stock issues prior to further mods.

Few areas of bubbling along the sills, and a front end respray required.

Going to check the hubs are all running true - suspect one is out ( front o/side). Not worth touching brakes until that's sorted 8)

angry said:
Re Brake Upgrade.

Dont mess about!

997 Turbo/gt3 Calipers/discs bolt straight on, 8mm slightly longer calliper bolts required.

I spent 2 years of trying the best solution to a very soggy/vague pedal. I resisted the Pagid pads due to the cost, but from the moment I fitted them and pulled out of my drive onto my lane I was astounded by the difference....your lap times and confidence will be transformed as well!! :thumb:

:yeah:

A very strong recommendation from me is to call Nick at Uber9s, what he and Matt don't know about transforming the paltry brakes on 996Ts isn't worth knowing :thumb:

DynoMike said:
angry said:
Re Brake Upgrade.

Dont mess about!

:yeah:

A very strong recommendation from me is to call Nick at Uber9s, what he and Matt don't know about transforming the paltry brakes on 996Ts isn't worth knowing :thumb:

Thanks Mike - had a quick chat with Nick via PM a couple of days back. He made that exact recommendation. I'm now crystal clear on the next change! :thumbs:

Also wanted to share these images from Monday - great shots!

1zr1d9l.jpg

35d0m8j.jpg

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back