Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carwow (Mat Vlogs ) 996 suspension upgrade

Lovely, but £4k in parts plus 2 day's labour - so probably £7k in total! OK if you make your money out of your car like Matt, but not really too realistic for most people. I still enjoy his videos though. That car cost him £16k and he must have spent another c£8k on it (plus at least another £2k of warranty work) so it has cost £26k!

As has been said many times - there is no such thing as a cheap 996!

Great piece; he's got me saving up for a complete bush set, now!

Regards the Ohlins, Exe-TC make even better suspension for 4K (comes with top mounts and drop-links, so not that much more).......and it's entirely British. They also could not be more helpful.

Fastlane said:
As has been said many times - there is no such thing as a cheap 996!

Sure there is. Like any 18 year old car though they need constant fettling. You wouldn't expect to run an 18 year old Golf without any attention.

This is what adds up the running costs. If you can do your own, they are pretty fantastic value.

He could have replaced the shocks with OE bilstein for £750.

wasz said:

Or full M030 kit for £850.
Taking into account that also 70% of the suspension would benefit (but it's not necessarily essential) from a refresh & geo by +100k a budget of under £1.5k would have sufficed if he'd done the spannering himself.

The car may not handle quite as precisely as his but you'd save yourself ~£6k!
(over half the price of the car), that won't be reflected in the sale price.

Ohlins DFV (or the equivalent KW v3 or Bilstein PSS10 kit) are simply a level above standard shocks or the MO30 suspension set up (Porsche do need to make budget and end user led production considerations)....
- yes there is a BIG step up in cost, but there is a true gain.... whether you feel the value adds up with the cost is a very personal thing, particularly if you merely drive briskly within the limits on the road...

I've had my car for 6+ years and did an all polybush, all new ball joints, all new MO30 components rebuild about 5 years ago
- rebushing does make it a different 19 year old animal

....and I will be upgrading to Ohlins next year (my wallet has to recover from front and rear Girodisc brakes (fitted last week) first!)

but that's because I'm struggling to see why I would ever sell my car - which is a tad dangerous when it comes to spending money, as recovering costs when you sell all becomes a bit irrelevant(!!!)

Fitting and setting up Ohlins alone is realistically in the £3k bracket these days...... thanks Brexit.... and Trump :x

911munKy said:
wasz said:

Where can you get full M030 kit for £850?? There are plenty advertised both at OPC and other suppliers, but non available. I was looking for these kits about 4 months ago but could only buy them as separate components. Front and rear was £1700 for shocks and springs alone. ARBs, bushes etc were extra!

Just watched the video, interesting. I presume the Ohlins R/T setup is made for a coupe though?

I have a cab and I'd worry that a suspension setup optimised for a coupe would not work as intended.

Anyone with knowledge of this care to weigh in on this subject?

Bluebird911 said:
911munKy said:
wasz said:

Where can you get full M030 kit for £850?? There are plenty advertised both at OPC and other suppliers, but non available. I was looking for these kits about 4 months ago but could only buy them as separate components. Front and rear was £1700 for shocks and springs alone. ARBs, bushes etc were extra!

I have a 3.4 C2 coupe but bought the 3.6 C2 coupe M030 which OPC still had in stock Oct last year, different part number but same kit. OPC won't offer a 2 year guarantee as it's allegedly for a different model but it fits perfectly, weight difference between the 3.4 & 3.6 C2 is less than a tank of fuel so no issues there. It may be different so other model 996's though.
Kit came with shocks, springs, ARB's, bushes etc. It may have been nearer £875 but you get 5% discount with PCGB05 membership.

+1 for the poly bush recommendation.

I had a 10yo Audi S3 fully bushed, Bilsteins, Eibach springs & upgraded ARB's & it drove better than my new one!

Sharp turn in & went where it was told to!

:thumb:

You can save a ton of cash by fitting the suspension yourselves. Really not that hard and the Paragon "101 Projects" book tells you exactly how.

I tried the par number you gave me with my local OPC for the 996.2 mo30 kit 911munky but they said they couldn't trace it? We are getting a local OPC in teesside shortly so I am going to check there when it opens. Which OPC did you use as the new one is still part of the same group who don't seem overly helpful. Thanks

gc99634 said:
I tried the par number you gave me with my local OPC for the 996.2 mo30 kit 911munky but they said they couldn't trace it? We are getting a local OPC in teesside shortly so I am going to check there when it opens. Which OPC did you use as the new one is still part of the same group who don't seem overly helpful. Thanks

This list might well indicate what stock is left, you'll note theres no 3.4 coupe variation listed :sad:

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt65_1385_-cma81-cmo110/Porsche/996--911--1997-05/Porsche-Kits/

Inevitably you'll also need a load of other bits too. Top mounts (get sachs), bump stops, and you'll likely have to cut your front drop links off. Probably worth whacking in a full set of coffin, forked and rear doggone arms whilst its in bits.

Should handle like new after that!

911munKy said:
Bluebird911 said:
911munKy said:
wasz said:

I have a 3.4 C2 coupe but bought the 3.6 C2 coupe M030 which OPC still had in stock Oct last year, different part number but same kit. OPC won't offer a 2 year guarantee as it's allegedly for a different model but it fits perfectly, weight difference between the 3.4 & 3.6 C2 is less than a tank of fuel so no issues there. It may be different so other model 996's though.
Kit came with shocks, springs, ARB's, bushes etc. It may have been nearer £875 but you get 5% discount with PCGB05 membership.

I think you were fortunate that a kit was available at the time you were looking. I was looking end of Dec and absolutely no kits of any kind about. The supplier make the parts continuously, but makes up the kits in batches approx twice a year by my investigations.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back