Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 all Electric power

There are thousands of Porsche's left on the road. Every flavour, colour, condition....

There is always room for something a bit different.

I applaud you for going against the grain, and putting another slant on 911 ownership :thumbs:

Please bring her to Beaulieu, and let me be the first person to buy you a beer for another classic pork saved :bandit:

askgeez said:
There are thousands of Porsche's left on the road. Every flavour, colour, condition....

There is always room for something a bit different.

I applaud you for going against the grain, and putting another slant on 911 ownership :thumbs:

Please bring her to Beaulieu, and let me be the first person to buy you a beer for another classic pork saved :bandit:

Cheers!!! :)

Henryv said:
jonttt said:
I enjoyed the video and can appreciate the effort that has gone into this but I just don't get it. I love the new electric technology, just ordered my second hybrid and I love classic cars but I don't get the appeal of the two together. Especially so with a classic porsche where the heart and soul of the car was the motor :dont know:

Great show piece but not for me I'm afraid (there is always one :wink: )

I'm sure you'll enjoy it though :thumb:

An electric car is faster, quieter and cleaner - MUCH cleaner.
Much cheaper to run.
All manufacturers, including Porsche are pushing ahead with all electric cars.
I bought an old Porsche on it's last legs, and decided to have it completely restored.
For safety I had modern brakes, power steering etc to get the best car I could.
I got rid of the 'smelly' engine, for Electric power - another step into the future.
I understand how restoring to it's original form would interest some, but I want to drive this car, not keep it as a fossil of the past.
Even the radio looks old but it plays CD's and has Sat Nav. :)

Evolution of cars is always better..... and worse at the same time. The nature of classics to me is to preserve that which is lost and so thats why its not for me. There is no need to defend what you have done, its done well but if I want what your offering I'll simply by an electric car. The evolution curve of electric technology over the next few years will far exceed that which the petrol engine saw, where will that leave your car then, neither one nor the other ?

I too would love to see the car, it looks gorgeous but normally I would love to hear it run as well which in this case of course would be pointless.

Ps I have one of those new fangled radios in my classic, well its an old version now, there are better available ;-)

jonttt said:
Henryv said:
jonttt said:
I enjoyed the video and can appreciate the effort that has gone into this but I just don't get it. I love the new electric technology, just ordered my second hybrid and I love classic cars but I don't get the appeal of the two together. Especially so with a classic porsche where the heart and soul of the car was the motor :dont know:

Great show piece but not for me I'm afraid (there is always one :wink: )

I'm sure you'll enjoy it though :thumb:

An electric car is faster, quieter and cleaner - MUCH cleaner.
Much cheaper to run.
All manufacturers, including Porsche are pushing ahead with all electric cars.
I bought an old Porsche on it's last legs, and decided to have it completely restored.
For safety I had modern brakes, power steering etc to get the best car I could.
I got rid of the 'smelly' engine, for Electric power - another step into the future.
I understand how restoring to it's original form would interest some, but I want to drive this car, not keep it as a fossil of the past.
Even the radio looks old but it plays CD's and has Sat Nav. :)

Evolution of cars is always better..... and worse at the same time. The nature of classics to me is to preserve that which is lost and so thats why its not for me. There is no need to defend what you have done, its done well but if I want what your offering I'll simply by an electric car. The evolution curve of electric technology over the next few years will far exceed that which the petrol engine saw, where will that leave your car then, neither one nor the other ?

I too would love to see the car, it looks gorgeous but normally I would love to hear it run as well which in this case of course would be pointless.

Ps I have one of those new fangled radios in my classic, well its an old version now, there are better available ;-)

My car is both classic in shape and modern in performance.
I was going to get a Tesla but wanted something unique.
The sound is something you may well miss, but there is something about the torque on an electric car that takes your breath away.
Vehicle pollution is a big problem Worldwide - 10,000 people a year die in London from vehicle pollution alone.
It has amazed me how the EV revolution has gathered force so quickly after a lot of resistance from mainstream manufacturers.
I am not a tree hugger, and look at my past ICE cars with affection.
I miss the steam engine too!! :eek:

:thumb:

I totally agree that Electric will be the way forward but........ I'm a cynical old fart...... the Petrochemical manufacturers and governments will do whats best for them not the climate. Hybrid tech will be the next big thing now that the big diesel scam has run its course. Electric won't take over from combustion just yet IMHO

I can run a £110k Porsche for <£300 per month car tax (hybrid - my Mrs could run it for <£180/mth), no real benefit in me getting a tesla especially when I do 40k miles pa the government is already up to its old tricks lol Its supposed to get >100MPG :floor: The fact I will probably never actually plug it in has nothing to do with it :bandit:

jonttt said:
:thumb:

I totally agree that Electric will be the way forward but........ I'm a cynical old fart...... the Petrochemical manufacturers and governments will do whats best for them not the climate. Hybrid tech will be the next big thing now that the big diesel scam has run its course. Electric won't take over from combustion just yet IMHO

I can run a £110k Porsche for <£300 per month car tax (hybrid - my Mrs could run it for <£180/mth), no real benefit in me getting a tesla especially when I do 40k miles pa the government is already up to its old tricks lol Its supposed to get >100MPG :floor: The fact I will probably never actually plug it in has nothing to do with it :bandit:

It will be an interesting next 5 years!! :?
You get the same problems with EV's.
The 30Kwh Nissan leaf is supposed to do 150 miles per charge, but 110 is the true range, driving very steadily!! :D
Twas ever thus!!!
The big change now is that governments and oil companies are investing in Electric power, wind power and Solar power!!
All manufacturers are now suddenly seeing the change and not fighting it.
There are some lovely cars in the pipeline!! Not an oil pipeline!! :nooo:

Somewhere in Wales!! :?

Attachments

• 20170511_122146_200.jpg
    20170511_122146_200.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 10,380
Hi Henry,
I saw your car today and you will be VERY happy with it. It is a superb refurb job and I think you will have a lot of fun with it. Let me know if you ever want to sell it and I'll trade in the wife!

Keep in touch once you have taken delivery, I want to know how you are getting on.

Went out in the Beetle today and boy that thing moves along.

Trev

TJW964 said:
Hi Henry,
I saw your car today and you will be VERY happy with it. It is a superb refurb job and I think you will have a lot of fun with it. Let me know if you ever want to sell it and I'll trade in the wife!

Keep in touch once you have taken delivery, I want to know how you are getting on.

Went out in the Beetle today and boy that thing moves along.

Trev

Really glad you liked it Trev!!
The Beetle is Richard's 'plaything' !! :eek:
Once a Rally driver, always a Rally driver!!

This is Richard on his 'Day off':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUKOXHeH1bc

Henry.

This hurts my head! I don't want to like it but I love it!

I mean its a beautiful car, no doubt. My heart would miss the noise and smells of an engine, but I really admire the engineering.

Excellent work, and so much better than a Tesla.

Thanks for posting :thumb:

cliffbase said:

I mean its a beautiful car, no doubt. My heart would miss the noise and smells of an engine, but I really admire the engineering.

Thank you!!! :worship:

Attachments

• 20170503_104211_617.jpg
    20170503_104211_617.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 10,285
Out and about!

Attachments

• 20170503_112352_213.jpg
    20170503_112352_213.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 10,225
cliffbase said:

:yeah: Beats a Tesla hands down in the appeal department and I understand the rationale, just not sure I'm ready to loose the flat six symphony yet. Putting the propulsion issue to one side, from a purely visual perspective it's a highly desirable object. Hat's off to you for even thinking of going down this route :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back