Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buggered OBC

NeilShar22

Seems like my OBC in my '96 C4S has packed up. Any thoughts on:

1 - where I could get it repaired? Have asked my indie to give Tore a call as I am out of the country at the moment. I know that he has tried a couple of other places also but with no result.

2 - where I could perhaps get a replacement. Either new or used. Seems like a new one could be c£1,000!!!

:-(

Thanks

Neil

......... scratches head in confusion ....... what exactly is the OBC? ...... I am sure I will have a "doh" moment when you explain further ....... and also I am old dinosaur fart ....... hence I own a 993 ...... and wear sandals with socks ...... not necessarily white ...... :)

I am sure a younger owner with half a brain will be along shortly to perhaps your question in great detail ....... :)

With the ign on give the rev counter a firm smack with the palm of your hand. It's been known to put OBC's back in to active service many a time.

Well ...... as I said a younger and more ...... er ....... knowledgeable 933 owner would rock up ....... but I am still none the wiser ......... :dont know:

OBC = On Board Computer :thumb:

There's an LCD in the Rev Counter where OBC fitted.

Thanks Dom ....... that is a weight off my mind ....... and having one of the older variants ........ mine came without ...... lol

Sorry for not being clearer! On Board Computer.

I have given it a thump but might try again, slightly harder!! To explain the issue further, I do have a display but nothing is changing on the computer, speedo always 0, temp, range etc not changing.

The garage has done what they can, they believe that the signals are getting to the unit but nothing registering (I can't add more info here!)

:dont know:

Ah ok that's a different matter then. Usually it's just the LCD that's gone out.

Tore fixes the heads and may be able to give a steer on other checks to carry out.

Did the garage disconnect and reconnect the Battery? Might be worth a shot as another freebie attempt.

Yep, that's been done too, naturally quite a lot as the battery was duff. Been changed now and not changed anything.

Thanks for your ideas Dom.

madalaa said:
Thanks Dom ....... that is a weight off my mind ....... and having one of the older variants ........ mine came without ...... lol

Majority that have OBC also have air con :thumb:

This is a typical fault of the OBC, a chip inside it fails due to age, and is easily replaced. I repair this, as well as do seveal other modifications to the instrument to avoid future damage.
Please do not hit the instruments. This might fix backlight bulb that has intermittent contact, but will mostly cause other damage.
Cheers,
Tore

Hi Tore, I was hoping that you would pop up! I emailed you directly earlier today and have just sent you a pm.

The hasn't been any moisture in the dials at all, if that's what you mean. It literally just stopped working one day.

Zingari said:
madalaa said:

Majority that have OBC also have air con :thumb:

........ indeed ......... ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back