Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996tt intercoolers

e92

Does anyone know how long stock intercoolers last? The reason I ask is I replaced my intercoolers about 8 months ago with standard intercoolers. In hindsight I should have just gone for the gt2 rs intercoolers. In my defence I wasn't planning on doing any power mods. I want to buy some gt2 rs intercoolers but can't help thinking it's a waste to do it so soon. Any chance these intercoolers break after say two years? :grin:

No power mods ? And a list like that under your post?
Or are you describing someone elses car :lol:
I can feel some bigger intercoolers coming on, this could be an expensive itch to scratch :)

I was going for more handling and feel than power initially. The reason I didn't want to go for power is that it would have a knock on expenses such as clutches etc and it would be quite addictive to get more and more power. So as it stands now it has gone from no power mods to remap and looking for intercoolers and possibly K16 billet turbos in the future. The questions is how do I hide all this from the mrs :?:

Stock intercoolers will last many years. They are really in a position where they get very wet etc. There was a seller on amazon selling gt2 rs coolers for a silly price a while back, something like £400 for the pair... I think they all sold quickly so this may be of no help. Perhaps do a search on this.

1. Just with a remap on the stock K16's you'll be approaching the need for an uprated clutch. GT2 Rs coolers to help keep AITs down

2. K16 hybrids. To make the most of them you will need to alter your fuel system. Best to upgrade pump to a walbro 450. Ideally you will want to change injectors as they will be maxed out. You can get around this by fitting a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator. IDCs will still be 90% so not ideal and probably to keep it safe you will not be getting the most out of the turbo's. GT2 rs coolers are still widely deemed to be the best solution at this level.

3. BIGGER turbos. You need to set out a limit here of how much power you are aiming for. If you are getting close to 700hp then it gets more serious, uprated rods, head studs are a must. The fuel system needs some serious thought.

Options are endless but you really do need a target power level and budget. PM me if you like or just speak to the normal suspects, 9e, ES, fearnsport.

As far as hiding it from the wife so long as the car stays the same colour she probably won't notice. :thumb:

911tom said:
As far as hiding it from the wife so long as the car stays the same colour she probably won't notice. :thumb:

:floor:

:thewife:

HSC911 said:
911tom said:

Ain't that the truth. I bought an M3 CSL and it sat on my drive at home for a month before my wife realised, only after a friend asked about it. She thought it was my Dad's 330d :)

MC

MisterCorn said:
HSC911 said:
911tom said:

Ain't that the truth. I bought an M3 CSL and it sat on my drive at home for a month before my wife realised, only after a friend asked about it. She thought it was my Dad's 330d :)

MC

:floor: that's a great story! You must have thought she was giving the silent treatment.

I thought she finally didn't care. I had had the 996 C2 for over a year before one day she asked me 'How come we now have 2 Porsches?' I explained that they were different and all was fine again. I had previously had both parked on the drive at the same time but she hadn't spotted it. To be fair, one is polar silver and one is arctic silver, the C2 had been at work for a long time.

Photo of two almost identical looking cars....

MC

As for the intercoolers. I would expect them to last a very long time indeed. I will have a pair of GT2 RS ones up for sale at some point in the future so if you want some keep your eyes peeled on here.

MC

911tom said:
Stock intercoolers will last many years. They are really in a position where they get very wet etc. There was a seller on amazon selling gt2 rs coolers for a silly price a while back, something like £400 for the pair... I think they all sold quickly so this may be of no help. Perhaps do a search on this.

1. Just with a remap on the stock K16's you'll be approaching the need for an uprated clutch. GT2 Rs coolers to help keep AITs down

2. K16 hybrids. To make the most of them you will need to alter your fuel system. Best to upgrade pump to a walbro 450. Ideally you will want to change injectors as they will be maxed out. You can get around this by fitting a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator. IDCs will still be 90% so not ideal and probably to keep it safe you will not be getting the most out of the turbo's. GT2 rs coolers are still widely deemed to be the best solution at this level.

3. BIGGER turbos. You need to set out a limit here of how much power you are aiming for. If you are getting close to 700hp then it gets more serious, uprated rods, head studs are a must. The fuel system needs some serious thought.

Options are endless but you really do need a target power level and budget. PM me if you like or just speak to the normal suspects, 9e, ES, fearnsport.

Thanks for the information. I was going to replace the injectors but hadn't considered the fuel pump. As for the intercoolers I am going to buy ones from the OEM manufacture, just need to do a bit more research. I think they got from around £500 - £620 for the pair.

I wouldn't want to go down the route of changing rods etc. Im thinking around 600hp with the k16 hybrids will be good enough for me. I plan on keeping the car for a long time so will do these upgrades as time goes on. Just want to get the intercoolers first.

MisterCorn said:
HSC911 said:
911tom said:

MC

:floor: One of the best M3's and highly sort after being confused for a run of the mill 330d!! I wouldn't know how to respond.

On the plus side you have a very understanding wife to keep all three cars. I remind my Mrs every two weeks that my car is here to stay just so its engrained in head :grin:

I went with the Markski 3.5" coolers as proven and some of his injectors.As you know the coolers make a massive difference.
I don't know what to say to wife !!

MisterCorn said:
HSC911 said:
911tom said:

MC

Ha! I very seriously nearly bought a BMW 1M the other year as I figured my wife wouldnt notice the difference between my existing 123d Coupe and a 1M as long as they were the same colour.

Slight thread hijack (sorry OP!). On a stock 996T with no ECU tweaks planned - would slightly larger intercoolers make any real-world difference?

I appreciate that AIT ought to be lower, thus repeated pulls from 20 to 70mph on a dual carriageway ought to show better results with larger intercoolers than stock. But without a remap, exhaust etc, would there really be much of a perceived difference in lower AIT (thus less loss of power) compared to stock OEM intercoolers?

I've always assumed larger intercoolers were one third of the basic power upgrade route (exhaust and remap being the other two), and that all three are needed to really get any tangible improvement in power?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back