Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 throttle body to standard air box,the hose from hell

markrnorton

Monza
All

Is it me ? !!!

I've been trying to connect my freshly installed GT3 throttle body onto a standard airbox using the eurocup GT hose.

Its tight, I mean so tight I just cant seem to get it to fit.

Am I missing something ? does it require 'trimming' as to allow the airbox to assume its correct place in the engine bay ?

Any help would be appreciated

Mark

Re: 996 GT3 throttle body to standard air box,the hose from

markrnorton said:
All

Is it me ? !!!

I've been trying to connect my freshly installed GT3 throttle body onto a standard airbox using the eurocup GT hose.

Its tight, I mean so tight I just cant seem to get it to fit.

Am I missing something ? does it require 'trimming' as to allow the airbox to assume its correct place in the engine bay ?

Any help would be appreciated

Mark

I don't have the GT3 throttle body, but I do have an after market induction hose and it is a b*tch to get on. I found that putting it in very hot water for 5 minutes before I put it on made it a bit more flexible. Still a struggle though.

they are very tight fit and a pain to fit

post up a pic just to make sure something isnt wrong

Unfamiliar with this coonnection but I usually find the oil' trick of a bit of washing up liquid around the hose end helps to make it fit.
Give it a try.

Hi Did you buy the GT3 throttle body plenum kit as that comes with the bigger hose so its not like the regular induction kit hoses thar are a bit wider at each end and narrower in the middle the hose I have with the IPD kit is bigger and doesnt narrow. have a look and see if you can buy just the IPD hose .dont forget your trying to fit a hose made for 74mm or something to the TB thats now 82mm or similar . ,I will post a pic of my 997.1 IPD GT3 TB & plen set up so you can see what I mean.
hope that helps :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• 9car_161.jpg
    9car_161.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 2,903
  • img_0512_128.jpg
    img_0512_128.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 2,903
Thanks all

Yes I did have the larger 84mm hose to start with

I trimmed 5mm off each end, gave it the fairy liquid and squeezed it on. Done now, thank heavens !

I'll post some pics later but with the K&N element, the modified air box , gt3 throttle body and iPd plenum it now sounds immense, popping and cracking on overrun in my garage

Will test it out tomorrow

Thanks everyone for your input

markrnorton said:
Thanks all

Yes I did have the larger 84mm hose to start with

I trimmed 5mm off each end, gave it the fairy liquid and squeezed it on. Done now, thank heavens !

I'll post some pics later but with the K&N element, the modified air box , gt3 throttle body and iPd plenum it now sounds immense, popping and cracking on overrun in my garage

Will test it out tomorrow

Thanks everyone for your input

Good to hear its sorted mark, it will also drive far better much more responsive, the car will compensate a bit but ideally after doing this you should get it remapped for optimum running and performance. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

A remap was next on my list as I also have a stainless exhaust on the car

markrnorton said:
A remap was next on my list as I also have a stainless exhaust on the car

Good call mate , just to be sure its not running rich or lean and it will bring together a nice set of mods for optimum performance :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

How much is it for this sort of mod? And what bhp can be expected? Any downsides?

lewisf182 said:
How much is it for this sort of mod? And what bhp can be expected? Any downsides?

Not sure of the gains on the 996 on the 997.1 you looking at something like 20/25bhp but its all in the low mid range with no top end losses so is makes the usual driving range much more responsive and adds big grins. these are realistic gains as some will tell you the tb plen is 15bhp the remap 25 bhp and the exhaust 15bhp but you cant just add them all together. the main thing your looking for on a fast road car is low and mid range gains.
Prices vary hugely for all the components , I went with IPD which is about £800ish for the throttlebody plenum and hose and resinator cap , bmc air filter £60, remaps again vary, mine was done by DMS automotive and was about £600 but you can get a remap for £250 and up depends if you want off the shelf or a custom to your cars specific set up. and a sports exhaust with 200 cell cats would add more to the low mid range and can be from £700 up to £2000 and lots higher than that even. again I went with a valvetronic set up from topgear so I can turn the loud off if I want to that would cost around £1200/1500. I would suggest to anyone looking at these types of mods to start BMC/ K&N induction kit makes the engine breath much better adds a nice induction note and a few BHP SECOND do the sports exhaust and 200 cell cats as this is a straight fit and no remap needed the improved flow and lighter stainless steel makes a big difference the cats adding the most to that mod. finally the TB/PLEN and remap this give the best air intake with the better gas flow from the exhaust makes the car what it should have been from the factory without all the compromises from accountants, emissions legislation, and the sales guys not wanting base models to be too close to the flagship models.
:thumb:

Phil 997 said:
lewisf182 said:

Not sure of the gains on the 996 on the 997.1 you looking at something like 20/25bhp but its all in the low mid range with no top end losses so is makes the usual driving range much more responsive and adds big grins. these are realistic gains as some will tell you the tb plen is 15bhp the remap 25 bhp and the exhaust 15bhp but you cant just add them all together. the main thing your looking for on a fast road car is low and mid range gains.
Prices vary hugely for all the components , I went with IPD which is about £800ish for the throttlebody plenum and hose and resinator cap , bmc air filter £60, remaps again vary, mine was done by DMS automotive and was about £600 but you can get a remap for £250 and up depends if you want off the shelf or a custom to your cars specific set up. and a sports exhaust with 200 cell cats would add more to the low mid range and can be from £700 up to £2000 and lots higher than that even. again I went with a valvetronic set up from topgear so I can turn the loud off if I want to that would cost around £1200/1500. I would suggest to anyone looking at these types of mods to start BMC/ K&N induction kit makes the engine breath much better adds a nice induction note and a few BHP SECOND do the sports exhaust and 200 cell cats as this is a straight fit and no remap needed the improved flow and lighter stainless steel makes a big difference the cats adding the most to that mod. finally the TB/PLEN and remap this give the best air intake with the better gas flow from the exhaust makes the car what it should have been from the factory without all the compromises from accountants, emissions legislation, and the sales guys not wanting base models to be too close to the flagship models.
:thumb:

Awesome stuff, thanks for that.

I've actually put a deposit down on a C4S with a topgear valvetronic, don't think it has the 200 cell cats though? It's got a hartech rebuild so quite a strong engine so just seeing what options are available to raise the BHP a bit. sounds like getting it to £350 is quite achievable? Would the gains be the same for the tip or are they reduced a bit?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back