Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PS2s obsolete, n-rated and warranty

Chewey

My 2011 997.2 needs 4 new tyres (urgently on the back).

Spoke to Michelin UK yesterday, and they confirmed that PS2s are no longer available in my sizes (295/30/19 and 235/35/19).

There are still a few about in stock, but I do not want to fit them as should I need a replacement, finding another in a few months is unlikely.

Due to the withdrawal of PS2s, I asked my OPC if I could fit the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which are coming as standard on 991s (I have read that some new cars have been delivered with non n-rated PS4S tyres, I've seen a photo too)

OPC said "No", they said it must be n-rated. I still have Porsche warranty until the end of the month, and am considering if I should renew it for 12-24months. I am told that I can not renew if I use non n-rated tyres (which is plain stupid)

It is utter b0110cks that Porsche think they can force me to fit an inferior and obsolete tyre, just because they haven't tested new tyres in my sizes yet. I think you'll find Michelin know what they are doing, and if Michelin think its better than a PS2 and a PSS, then it is.

If anyone from Porsche is listening, get this mess sorted out. You need a full scale review of your N rated policy and get ahead of the curve, not way behind.
:x

Chewey said:
My 2011 997.2 needs 4 new tyres (urgently on the back).

Spoke to Michelin UK yesterday, and they confirmed that PS2s are no longer available in my sizes (295/30/19 and 235/35/19).

There are still a few about in stock, but I do not want to fit them as should I need a replacement, finding another in a few months is unlikely.

Due to the withdrawal of PS2s, I asked my OPC if I could fit the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which are coming as standard on 991s (I have read that some new cars have been delivered with non n-rated PS4S tyres, I've seen a photo too)

OPC said "No", they said it must be n-rated. I still have Porsche warranty until the end of the month, and am considering if I should renew it for 12-24months. I am told that I can not renew if I use non n-rated tyres (which is plain stupid)

It is utter b0110cks that Porsche think they can force me to fit an inferior and obsolete tyre, just because they haven't tested new tyres in my sizes yet. I think you'll find Michelin know what they are doing, and if Michelin think its better than a PS2 and a PSS, then it is.

If anyone from Porsche is listening, get this mess sorted out. You need a full scale review of your N rated policy and get ahead of the curve, not way behind.
:x

Couldn't agree more. What irritating bollox!

Just fitted a new set of PS4S to mine and they're fantastic. I know I've lobbed the OPC warranty thing out the window but I couldn't care less. My car's a keeper and I bought it for me, not the next guy. Needles to say I won't be renewing my warranty :lol:

I find the OPC warranty restrictions ridiculous. It's like they still own it! Aaaand breathe :thumbs:

Chewey said:
....... I still have Porsche warranty until the end of the month, and am considering if I should renew it for 12-24months. I am told that I can not renew if I use non n-rated tyres .....

It's all about what they'll allow you to have fitted when you renew your warranty.

If you still have 3mm on your rears the solution for you is to renew the warranty now for 12 or 24 months and then fit whatever tyre you like.

It won't affect a claim unless you moving to a non 'N' rated tyre caused the fault.

NB: Sadly if you have less than 3mm on your tyres currently they may not agree to the renewal.

Hit eBay and get yourself a set of lightly used N rated winter wheels for the next cold season (include german eBay in your search for maximum choice, but in the hot season bargains can crop up. Perhaps see what these get bid up to). Put whatever you want on your main wheels for normal use, but whatever time of year the warranty renewal is due - present the car wearing the N rated winters. :wink:

[Alternate strategy is of course that at renewal time, see if you can beg someone's winters to put on the car for a couple of days]

Plenty of PS2's online and I tend to agree with Norfolk & idea - load of bollox

:grin:

I'm liking the n-rated Bridgestones I have on the latest set of wheels I bought, much nicer than the Pirellis on the other set of wheels so will probably renew with the same when the time comes, less expensive than the Michelins too.

Chewey said:
If anyone from Porsche is listening, get this mess sorted out. You need a full scale review of your N rated policy and get ahead of the curve, not way behind.:x
Myself and a long list of others have been saying this for a number of years, but no-one from Porsche seems to be listening. :nooo:

The irony is that if you go to the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone, you will see all sorts of rubber fitted which is not N-rated. Porsche hypocrisy at its best. :eek: Would also make you think it is more about the commercial arrangements between Porsche and the tyre giants rather than any real technical reason. :?:

rhino-man said:
I'm liking the n-rated Bridgestones I have on the latest set of wheels I bought, much nicer than the Pirellis on the other set of wheels so will probably renew with the same when the time comes, less expensive than the Michelins too.

I moved from the Bridgestone Teflon 050A or whatever it was to PS2 on my turbo and it was a remarkable transformation in all conditions other than hot and dry.

Chewey said:

I have PS2 in the 235/305 combination, had the same concern re PS2 being made obsolete, but I recall Michelin explicitly saying that they had committed to Porsche supply for some time yet.

Also, for the N-th time, no pun intended, the N-rated PS2 is not the same as the non-N-rated.

rhino-man said:

Any other views out there on Bridgestones? I have to get my rears changed by the end of the week and it might be a case on what I can get in time (at a sensible price....)

Thanks

Mike

I have the Bridgestones. They grip well and last well. They are hard and noisy. I prefer michelins but the Bridgestones perform.

Jcx said:
I have the Bridgestones. They grip well and last well. They are hard and noisy. I prefer michelins but the Bridgestones perform.

That's a good point. I've noticed the PS4S's are noticeably quieter. Even my Mrs. commented on that :)

rhino-man said:

I had them on my 996 c4s. I thought they were better than the michelins that were on it. Reasonably priced as well. Interestingly I thought they were quieter than the Mitch's. I don't think they last as long though.

I will be fitting a full set to my 997 c4s In a week or 2 and report back.

My car came with Bridgestones fitted which I find to be quite noisy. My local Porsche Centre recommended changing to Michelins which I am about to do. The new PS4S, I think they are 2 or 3 db quieter than the Bridgestones. :)

mikeluke said:
Any other views out there on Bridgestones?

Only that the set of RE050A that came with my BMW were so bad that I'd never put them on any other car..... :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back