Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Internal Telephone Not Available

rocket_richard

I'm now working my way through my 997.1 and I'm delighted with almost every aspect of it. The drive from Bolton was fantastic and I was sad it was only 220 miles.

The one thing that troubles me is the phone. It appears to have a telephone module under the driver's seat, the handset is fitted but, there is no 666 on the option list in the service book and the phone isn't listed on the PCM menu.

Whilst it's not essential, my aim is to keep the car as original as possible and if it's not too expensive, I would like to get phone working.

I would be grateful if anyone has and ideas or can point me in the right direction.

If you have the phone system fitted which it sounds like you have and its not working then its an Indy or OPC to put a tester on it to see if its coded off or any faults on the system .

Basically any investigation needs to start with a tester to see whats going on.

A couple of points worth investigating:

If you have s Dension or the likes fitted, then they may have bypassed the fibre to the phone module.

If the seats have been out, or possibly someone with big feet have been in the back, they might have disturbed the fibre cable to the phone module under the drivers seat.

I had an intermittent problem with mine before swapping the head unit which could usually be fixed by simply giving the fibres a wiggle under the seat.

Agreed get it tested first , strange its not listed on the build option , maybe someone did a retro fit. first port of call the OPC get it looked at , if its not fitted then a mobridge, denison, navtv unit hidden away behind the head unit will fix it and give you bluetooth. :thumb:

If you want to replace the phone unit I suggest you look at the Tooki BT system, it plugs straight into the existing connections and fits neatly under the drivers seat really simple compared to the alternatives works well with my iPhone

wingco said:
If you want to replace the phone unit I suggest you look at the Tooki BT system, it plugs straight into the existing connections and fits neatly under the drivers seat really simple compared to the alternatives works well with my iPhone

agreed I used to have the Tooki from Navtv before changing my head unit for an Alpine one

Thank you for the comments, I think I will go and visit Portsmouth OPC in a few days and see what they come up with. I may even be tempted to remove the seat and have a look at what's going on first. It will make a change to be working on something different.

I will look at the Tooki system and think a little more. As I said earlier, I do like to keep things original as possible but, bluetooth could be really useful.

Richard , the Tooki and others like it fully integrate to the PCM 2.1 and the functions are through the head unit and its very very easy to remove anytime . :thumb:

No Fibre

I've taken the front seat out and looked at the telephone module and I have found the problem, it wasn't connected! So I plugged it in and still no joy.

Then looking again at the connectors the fibre optic cable comes out of the loom but then goes back into the loom. It appears to be spliced together to bypass the phone module.

Any suggestions on the best way forward? As I said earlier, this is for my amusement and I would like to get the phone working if possible. If not, Tooki!

At the point of the splice you need to separate it and place the two ends into the appropriate connector and then plug it back into the phone unit.

You can look down the ends of the fiber to see which way the light is shining and plug them in accordingly - although if you have them the wrong way around it wont harm anything, it just won't work!

Thank you for the input, I do like a challenge and I have a spare pay-as-you-go sim. Bluetooth seems too easy - and if I do go down the Tooki route, I'll need to sort out the MOST cable anyway (I think).

Now I need to learn all about cutting fibre optic cable and fitting a new female connector.

If the most has been set to bypass the phone module then it wont be working i expect and thats why it was bypassed.

I think ive done it in the past , rings a bell anyways .. i think you either get an error message when its faulty and connected or it just blocks the most so no cd changer etc working.

As you say Demort, there must be a reason for the phone module bypass but my curiosity has got the better of me. I have just ordered a kit that will allow me to put on a male connector but, it comes with a female loop so I can reinstate the bypass if necessary.

I have a little bit of spare time but, I really don't want to spend money on a phone when it would be better spent on tyres and petrol!

From a person that loves to diagnose things then i say you carry on .. fix it or not its always satisfying to diagnose to a conclusion reguardless :D

Btw it may have been coded off in the pcm options so without a tester you wont prove anything im afraid if thats the case .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back