Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Annoying squeaks

thedarkknight

3.5k miles in and it feels like the springs in the drivers side seat bolsters have failed producing a very annoying squeak. I also have another suspension related squeak from the left rear passenger seat. Add on top the black cab like squeals from the brakes at low speed and I'm thinking it's 488 or DB11 time. Not happy! Anyone else experienced these? At over £100K I would expect more :eh!:

Sounds like your expectations were similar to mine, but sadly 100K sticker price doesn't mean rattle or squeak free. The build quality and fixings are not twice as good as those VW, Audi or BMW use. Plus the cars are not built in the same volumes. I've never had an Aston or Ferrari, but if anything I reckon they would be worse.

As petrolheads understandably we are all hyper sensitive with our cars when they are new as we've just shelled out a load of cash and want silence and the perceived quality associated with that. The good news is that in my experience the rattles are no worse after 3 years than 3 months. That hasn't been the same on other marques where they just get noisier as they get older (BMW's for example).

I also have a theory that noises in front of you are far more annoying than those located behind you. Cant really explain that, but somehow a rattling dash is worse than a rattling rear seat. The only issues I've had have been from the seats backwards so the dashes are well constructed.

My advice is get the seats sorted, hit the brakes hard a few times and enjoy the car. Cars are made up of a huge number of parts all made from different material all getting bumped around and jiggled at a variety of frequencies on a variety of roads. But it is frustrating!

BTW - Seats squeaks could well be the rose that goes around the lever at shoulder height for tipping the seat forwards. Mine used to make a noise as my weight moved around and they popped in replacements and its been quiet ever since. I've had a rattle from the rear drivers side from about 3.5k miles and have just got used to it.

My other tip is to keep all the door rubbers lubricated and even more so if you have a sunroof, especially the glass one. They chatter and squeak as the rubbers dry out. 5 mins running some lubricant on them gets you another 6 months of silence. Dealers will try to change the mounting but its just rubber chaffing.

"Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick" is the mutts nuts.

Yup, give the brakes a few swift 100-30 runs and they'll stop squeaking... likewise the rubber treatment.

If any noises continue, increase stereo or exhaust volumes and enjoy the noise.

Enjoy the 911... its not a Rolls Royce :thumbs: :wink:

And totally agree that an AM will be 10 times squeakier and rattlier in the Noise Vibration & Harshness fronts of car design and production.

thedarkknight said:
Add on top the black cab like squeals from the brakes at low speed. At over £100K I would expect more :eh!:
Have this low speed "taxi" squeal on my brakes (apparently from the rears). :x

3 visits to the dealership and all sorts of cleaning and replacement, and the squeal is still there. Am now told it is a "characteristic" of the car and even says so in the owner's handbook!! Don't understand how Porsche have the gall to say such a thing. :bandit:

Done all the high speed rapid decelerations pulling 1g+ - has not made an ounce of difference. :nooo:

So fully understand where you are coming from with the brake squeal and all your other unwanted squeaks. :what:

I'm booking into service to have a look. The seat bolster has definitely gone as the passanger seat doesn't creak like the drivers side.
The rear squeak is getting worse to the point that music won't drown it out.
Has anyone replaced the pads? Any difference in eliminating the noise?
My 16yr old £300 Polo doesn't squeal so I don't understand why the £100k+ 991 should!

thedarkknight said:
My 16yr old £300 Polo doesn't squeal so I don't understand why the £100k+ 991 should!
My dealer replaced my rear pads as a goodwill gesture - did not make the slightest difference to the squeal at low speeds. :nooo:

Low speed brake squeal is a recognised issue by Porsche UK, but they're not prepared to do anything about it and hide behind the weasley words of the owner's handbook. :wall:

As previously said, ultra-hard stops have not solved the issue on my car. Think this is because the squeal is a natural frequency issue of the pad/disc combo as opposed to glazing on the pads.

weejimmy said:
My other tip is to keep all the door rubbers lubricated and even more so if you have a sunroof, especially the glass one. They chatter and squeak as the rubbers dry out. 5 mins running some lubricant on them gets you another 6 months of silence. Dealers will try to change the mounting but its just rubber chaffing.

"Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick" is the mutts nuts.

That's quite interesting because mine on rutted surfaces has an occasional rattle from the sunroof (glass). I'll use the BMW equivalent of the lubricant and see if it settles it.
It used to work beautifully on the Beemer even though it needed a reapplication once a year.

thedarkknight said:
I'm booking into service to have a look. The seat bolster has definitely gone as the passanger seat doesn't creak like the drivers side.

To be fair my brakes have never squealed. That would drive me nuts too!

If the bolster thing is when you shift your weight around I'd put money on it being the roses. Sounds like the bolster but it's actually the movement twisting the roses where it's plastic on plastic. The chief Tech at my OPC said it was a common issue. 90 second fix. He said he couldnt see any obvious difference with the replacement units from porsche but that it worked. And it did! Mine started at about 2k miles. Been fine since they were swapped(23k now).

thedarkknight said:

Its a brake engineering impossibility to design a system that covers such a spectrum of use for a 911... from those that use for track, to those that use for daily driver, to those that have garage queen occasional use. Configuration, densities, compounds, forces, temperature management, durability.

There are other car sectors / types where you can narrow down your focus in design, and eliminate whichever element/ characteristic you don't want... A polo has a considerably easier band to design and engineer for... a great experiment would be to put your Polo callipers, discs and pads on the 911 for a few months. might get a squeal or two... ;)

DRZ911 said:
My dealer replaced my rear pads as a goodwill gesture - did not make the slightest difference to the squeal at low speeds.

The only reason they would do that is for perception/ customer service management... practically no mechanical logic to do so, unless they were worn out, or changing to a different compound. If its same spec of pad, you'll simply get the exact same result.

Some great comments. Thanks.
Well after some spirited Sunday driving on the sports suspension, a wash and clean inside including checking all the rear seatbelt/ seat pads, rear camera+cables the squeak has gone!
Now sounds solid except the brake squeal and seat bolster noise.
My only solution is to stop a bit more abruptly !

thedarkknight said:

Glad you're making some progress with some of the squeaks. :thumb:

In terms of stopping more abruptly, pulling 1g in a Tesco car park or approaching traffic lights is probably not a viable alternative (especially for the car behind!). :nooo:

DRZ911 said:
thedarkknight said:

Glad you're making some progress with some of the squeaks. :thumb:

In terms of stopping more abruptly, pulling 1g in a Tesco car park or approaching traffic lights is probably not a viable alternative (especially for the car behind!). :nooo:

:floor:

I shall revert to engine braking instead :)

It really depends on how lucky you are with squeaks, guess you can complain more loudly on a RR or Bentley since those marques are built for serenity.

gtb5 said:
It really depends on how lucky you are with squeaks, guess you can complain more loudly on a RR or Bentley since those marques are built for serenity.

True, the rear one is intermittent and sounds like rubber tubing against plastic. Front seat is more reproducible but seams to be temperature dependent (cold mornings). Either way both can be eliminated with sports mode and foot on the accelerator. Not good for my MPG though: 14/21mpg average on normal/sports mode.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back