Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just stumbled across an RS 4.0

There was a lovely article in a magazine a few years ago on the little MOT centre in Woking where McLaren send F1s for their annual test. :thumbs: certainly nowhere special, but 100% certain they trusted the old fella carrying out the checks to be careful!

Last MOT I had done on the GT3, the guy said "that's too low to go on the ramp" so he left it in the car park & admired the car from the office for 45 mins.

Car passed with flying colours ;)

I take my 993 to a local garage which used to be next door but 3 to me. They are proper old school but love older cars. I always get it there as they unlock (after a run to get it nice and warm) and they get started on it straight away whilst I wait and chat.

They don't do the brake test on the ramp as its 4 wheel drive so he just drives it up and down the entrance road for the test :grin:

Last year the number plate fell off as I'd only blue tacked it on (slight spacing issue ;-), he just laughed and threw it over to me.

NXI20 said:
Last MOT I had done on the GT3, the guy said "that's too low to go on the ramp" so he left it in the car park & admired the car from the office for 45 mins.

Car passed with flying colours ;)

That sounds familiar. We had to do a brake test - me driving and him in the passenger seat grinning from ear to ear... :mrgreen: Passed with flying colours...

same for me...
took my 996 GT3 to Halfords a few times, as they were the cheapest; No probs.
now the local MOT place where I've been taking all the cars for a while.
I'm pretty sure he did the same to my GT3 for its first MOT; he just handed me the cert and said "well it passed, of course..."

Diggermeister said:
As far as the DVLA and insurers are concerned, an MOT is an MOT. It doesn't really matter who does it - they all have to meet a standard - as long as you either trust them with your car or are prepared to wait with it.

I'm convinced a dodgy MOT place cost me £1200 for a new ABS control unit for my Audi A8.

Seems an unfortunate coincidence that the system failed when they were doing their brake test, but couldnt prove it as I was not there.

badlands said:
Did not expect to see this sticking out the nondescript garage round the back of my work....mechanic said it was in for it's MOT and the car is used extensively on track, nice to hear. Is the owner on here?

Always great to stumble across such pork at a local garage......some OPC's tend to be up their own back-sides when it comes to just booking an MOT as it is a cheap hassle some prefer not to have(hence most farm it out)

Who the hell cares where the MOT cert comes from?? Not me. For me it's a document that enables me to get taxed and insured. End of.

Norfolk & Idea said:
Who the hell cares where the MOT cert comes from?? Not me. For me it's a document that enables me to get taxed and insured. End of.

From my point of view I need somewhere for the GT3 where they have low entry ramps and ideally know the type of car. I use a nondescript place on a small industrial park in Kings Langley (Langley Autocraft, the same place that JZM use {they are just down the road from it}).

For my BMW I actually let my main dealer do it. They don't charge me any more than the usual going rate and they do a very nice job of cleaning it for me at no extra charge.

Norfolk & Idea said:

I think depending on the kind of car you've got, a lot factors in on the probability of it passing, and whether a less scrupulous place offering cheap MOTs make it up by turning advisories into fails on the grounds they then get the work to fix it.

Firstly there's no snobbery. There are stories a plenty of small garages taking cars for joyrides and even crashing them. Unlikely but it's happened. There have been people on here ranting about cars being taken out for no reason.

Secondly I take mine to the main dealer because I trust them. I'm happy to pay them £50 to get it taken care of. And I get a new car for the day to play with. I'm not going to complain about paying an extra £20 rather than have someone take my car out and drive it or it be scratched or damaged etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of stories of small garages doing a great job and I'm not trying to knock them as I said in the first comment, but I'm not going to take the risk for £20 even if I risk being called a snob. Haha

But now I should take it to a small garage but taking it to the Alfa main dealer via my OPC is a bad idea???

badlands said:
Exactly. I'm waiting with mine at kwickfit on Saturday, don't trust them but for £27...!

"That will be £27 for the MOT, sir, and £1000 for those new tyres that you 'need'" said the nice man at Kwikfit....

isysman said:
Firstly there's no snobbery. There are stories a plenty of small garages taking cars for joyrides and even crashing them. Unlikely but it's happened. There have been people on here ranting about cars being taken out for no reason.

Sadly, not just confined to small garages :nooo:

I know of at least 3 Carrera GTs that a nameless OPC not a million miles from me have crashed over the last few years while "road testing" them. The last one took out 150 metres of Armco :what:

Robertb said:
I'm convinced a dodgy MOT place cost me £1200 for a new ABS control unit for my Audi A8.

Seems an unfortunate coincidence that the system failed when they were doing their brake test, but couldnt prove it as I was not there.

Ouch, that doesn't sound like cricket.

mikeluke said:
badlands said:
Exactly. I'm waiting with mine at kwickfit on Saturday, don't trust them but for £27...!

"That will be £27 for the MOT, sir, and £1000 for those new tyres that you 'need'" said the nice man at Kwikfit....

well that was an interesting MOT @ KwickFit and £27 well spent. Look at this, the brand new pss10 suspension I had fitted a few months ago by JAZ is missing a screw on the front passenger side! The car failed obvs, pretty dangerous. Zoom in and the nut is cracked, which makes me think something hit it then the screw then worked itself out? Will be very surprised if JAZ missed ever putting it in during installation, but calling them today to discuss

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back