Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Really costly mistake today

A deisel nozzel is wider than a petrol one so it won't fit a petrol car. You can't mis-fuel a petrol car so you have to take it out on the unfortunate people who can ***** it up. Shouldn't try running your car on heating oil - end of :hand:

Chris W said:
I saw a flyer for one of the major roadside assistance companies today and I was curious that they charge from £150 + VAT for a fuel drain. This makes me wonder about the ethics of this service (opportunistic half measure fix/cheap) vs the dealers (opportunistic scaremongering/expensive).

It seems to be targeted at diesel drivers. The PR on their website does not advise to contact manufacturer or warn of potential problems down the line making me wonder how many second hand cars out there have problems that unsuspecting buyers are blissfully unaware of.

Some UK stats:
-misfuelling is 3 x more common than running out of fuel.

-every 3.5 minutes a car in the UK is misfuelled.

-it happens around 150,000 per annum

-this company has invested £1.7million in this service!

Quote service provider: "We came up with this unique service that gets 99 per cent of vehicles back on the road after the 45-minute fuel drain. We save them the hassle of having to wait for a garage to book them in and, potentially, up to £5,000 in repair bills."

Dealer guideline: "the only way to ensure that no lasting damage has been done is to replace the fuel system/pumps pipes"

Interesting stats that I'm sure will fuel Wattie's anti-diesel campaign :lol:

Thanks Chris :D

Im glad to see I am not the only one to have made this mistake. It didnt cost me quite as much as all this because I only put a tiny bit in and didnt drive off. I contacted a company at the petrol station from a number another customer gave me. They were really helpful and their site has lots of information on misfuelling and what to do to avoid huge costs.

Take a look at
http://www.autofuelfix.com/blog/wrong-fuel-in-car-your-ultimate-guide

Really informative. :) :bye: [/url]

I did this 5 years back in my Focus TDCI, filled to the brim from near empty with petrol at 5am one morning, about to head off on a long motorway journey up north.. I did about 3 miles before I noticed the hiccups and smoke, it then hit me what I did!

I carried on, car was driving fine apart from odd misfire, at the next stop I squeezed not much diesel in and bought a 5ltr tank and filled that.. The car kept going and I stopped at every service station to top it with diesel.

I still have the same car with 165k on it and still going strong :)

Trusty Fords :)

Never repeated the mistake since however :)

NikWilk said:
Im glad to see I am not the only one to have made this mistake. It didnt cost me quite as much as all this because I only put a tiny bit in and didnt drive off. I contacted a company at the petrol station from a number another customer gave me. They were calledwww.Autofuelfix.com. They were re...om/blog/wrong-fuel-in-car-your-ultimate-guide Really informative. :) :bye: [/url]

And so kind of you to register with the sole purpose of telling us about this fine service on this thread dragged up from '08... :cop:

Robertb said:
NikWilk said:
Im glad to see I am not the only one to have made this mistake. It didnt cost me quite as much as all this because I only put a tiny bit in and didnt drive off. I contacted a company at the petrol station from a number another customer gave me. They were calledwww.Autofuelfix.com. They were re...om/blog/wrong-fuel-in-car-your-ultimate-guide. Really informative. :) :bye: [/url]

And so kind of you to register with the sole purpose of telling us about this fine service on this thread dragged up from '08... :cop:

:sad: :sad: :sad:

:floor: :floor: :floor:

One more

:bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

Robertb said:

:judge: are aware

Robertb said:
NikWilk said:
Im glad to see I am not the only one to have made this mistake. It didnt cost me quite as much as all this because I only put a tiny bit in and didnt drive off. I contacted a company at the petrol station from a number another customer gave me. They were calledwww.Autofuelfix.com. They were re...om/blog/wrong-fuel-in-car-your-ultimate-guide. Really informative. :) :bye: [/url]

Slow news day............? :dont know:

I blame the Tube Strike and those unused to working from home. Not like me with my self discipli.......oh........ :eek: :oops:

We put 2 gallons of petrol in a diesel Focus, phone a mate who is a diesel fitter he said put a can of engine oil in the tank and brim it with diesel and top it up at short intervals to dilute to petrol asap as its the graphite in petrol that shags the diesel pump, the car ran fine and never missed a beat and went on to do 200,000 miles and still running strongly

Chris W said:
Update. After a bit of back and forwards and investigative work the final bill will be £1168 including VAT, delaer reckons not as bad as they thought and no swarf in engine etc. We did say we were thinking about moving it to a local garage and perhaps this influenced them!

It's funny how BMW go for the doom and gloom it's going to cost you option first :?:

I know pump technology etc has moved on but back in the early 90's the handbook for my new 5 series BMW diesel actually advised adding in a few ltrs of petrol with a tank of diesel if the temperature was below freezing, something to do with raising the centene rating of the diesel.

Anyway glad you got it sorted ok

:thumb:

wrong fuel in my 2003 porsche 911

Hi, im new here :D . Sorry to bring up this old thread but i've finally had my first problem with my 911 :nooo: and as you can guess i've filled it with diesel. The AA came out to me and towed me back to my home but said it will need to be taken to a garage for a repair in the morning. When i got the car back to mine i was in such a panic searching the internet and hearing of all these horror stories of vehicles being wrecked, then i came across this site http://www.wrongfuel-recovery.co.uk . I called them up and they have quoted me £140 to get my car back up and running. I then called my garage in the morning who said i will need to bring it down for a diagnostic and they will run some tests and will see what parts need replacing etc. he said he could not give me a price because he has not seen the vehicle yet, but gave an estimate of around £500. He also stated he had no availability until next week :sad: .
So my question is, has anyone used a company like http://www.wrongfuel-recovery.co.uk ?
Can they actually get your vehicle going on the spot without needing to take it to a garage?

Any help or recommendations on what to do will be appreciated!

Re: wrong fuel in my 2003 porsche 911

JamesGreen said:
Hi, im new here :D . Sorry to bring up this old thread but i've finally had my first problem with my 911 :nooo: and as you can guess i've filled it with diesel. The AA came out to me and towed me back to my home but said it will need to be taken to a garage for a repair in the morning. When i got the car back to mine i was in such a panic searching the internet and hearing of all these horror stories of vehicles being wrecked, then i came across this site http://www.wrongfuel-recovery.co.uk . I called them up and they have quoted me £140 to get my car back up and running. I then called my garage in the morning who said i will need to bring it down for a diagnostic and they will run some tests and will see what parts need replacing etc. he said he could not give me a price because he has not seen the vehicle yet, but gave an estimate of around £500. He also stated he had no availability until next week :sad: .
So my question is, has anyone used a company like http://www.wrongfuel-recovery.co.uk ?
Can they actually get your vehicle going on the spot without needing to take it to a garage?

Any help or recommendations on what to do will be appreciated!

It depends what model of 911 you have :dont know:

An air cooled will be fine, as long as you have sandals fitted.

996, forget about it, you've scored the bores for life now :sad:

997, you may be lucky, the upgraded interior fuel gauge will not acknowledge the diesel mixture as diesel is the way forward.

If you have a 918 the electric and diesel defo DO NOT mix :eek:

Keep us updated :thumbs:

I filled one of my motorbikes up with diesel once. How did I manage that? Well, I had drained all the petrol out into a Jerry can whilst I was servicing the bike - had to get the tank off etc to get to the airbox/carbs. When I finished the job later in the week I refilled it and off I went.

The bike ran terrible. Mis-firing, cutting out etc. Sounded mega rough. I got home and it was only then that my Dad pointed out that he had stuck diesel in the Jerry can.

I just drained the fuel, changed the spark plugs and all was fine again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back