Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The first 1700 miles in my 911.2 4S

Just returned from a drive trip to the Isle of Skye

Just returned from a drive trip to the Isle of Skye

Visiting Edinburgh, Fort William, and the Isle of Skye. The Weather forecast did not sound great - arctic temperatures, high winds and snow!

Driving up we stopped at Jedburgh for afternoon tea and the weather couldn't have been better. The weather forecast predicted high winds and freezing temperatures and snow for the following day, all that you need for a long drive up to the Isle of Skye. It snowed in the night so we woke up to an icing-topped mountain landscape. It's going to be a day to remember!

34327859315_17007425dd_b.jpg

On the drive up it started to rain and as we got higher up the rain turned into snow. However this snow flurry provided a very scenic view once it stopped and the sun started to come out. Typical April showers but in our case it was April snow showers. With the snow on the mountains this made the landscape amazing. My wife said you could imagine we were driving through the Swiss Alps and sometimes there was a resemblance to the Norway fjords. The road we took is called 'The Road to the Isles' and is known to be a 'Driver's road'. Whoever decided this, they were not mistaken. One of the best roads I have driven, for its 'S' bends, tight bends, inclines/declines and most of the time not riddled with potholes. However there were times I felt I was driving through a slalom course trying to dodge the various potholes on some of the other roads on our journey.

Just before the Isle of Skye, the weather turned for the worst, so we parked up to let the worst pass. However once over the bridge it started to look much brighter and it became a lovely sunny day and with the snow on the mountain tops the views were stunning. We drove on for late lunch at Portree and then headed back to Fort William, stopping at various laybys for photo shoots.

34169738682_0eb6e12e60_b.jpg

On the way back we actually saw a White-tailed eagle, which is very rare. It was massive! With easily a 7 foot wingspan, it looked like a prehistoric Pterodactyl, coming towards us slowly flapping its enormous wings!

Whilst driving in Skye I had an anxious time as there was a speed camera van parked up in a layby and I was not sure if I was within the 60 mph speed limit as it was a very wide and long straight road. However, now back at home I am relieved to see that the dashcam recording displays my speed below the restriction. This was the same day the government has increased the penalties for driving over the limit. Unfortunately I was not able to view the recording until back at home.

34197064111_885a0a5825_b.jpg

34327915955_3ee2b04ed8_b.jpg

34327912825_aae51a0017_b.jpg

34286859756_39895a240b_b.jpg

34169740582_52e6cd111a_b.jpg

The next day we decided to take a long detour from Fort William to Edinburgh, driving down the west coast lochs to the Cowal peninsula before heading back to 'Rest and be Thankful' and then to Callander for lunch.

33486059864_6a94cdf6de_b.jpg

34169751302_9be110f237_b.jpg

33944006990_bb449b5f6b_b.jpg

We are definitely going to give the Isle of Skye a second visit in the future. However some of the roads will not be suitable/ ideal for the 911 due to the low height (20mm drop from standard) of the car and firm suspension. My Wife said the car eats the miles and she did not get bored at all being the passenger, however I think this was due to the fact that the drive/ride is like a theme park ride, being jiggled about so much on poor road surfaces and dodging potholes. On the drive we regularly received from fellow drivers 'thumbs up' signs and comments complimenting the car :).

The car has met and even exceeded my expectations and ticks all the boxes. It definitely delivers to both the passenger and driver 'an experience'.

One thing that did alarm me (to which now I am getting used to the noise) a few times a stone gets logged in the drilled disk holes, it can sound like a broken bearing, this happened three times on the trip twice on the rear discs and once on the front.

Re: Just returned from a drive trip to the Isle of Skye

alpinaB3 said:
One thing that did alarm (to which now I am getting used to the noise) a few times a stone gets logged in the drilled disk holes, it can sound like like a broken bearing, this happened three times on the trip twice on the rear discs and once on the front.

Yes I've had the same in my .2 Targa 4S!!

Fab write up and pictures. It really makes me wanna take a trip up to Scotland in the 911 :)

Great write up and lovely looking car.
We love touring Scotland and are really looking forward to may trips in our 991.2 GTS (July build). Taking into account the roads where we live and some of the remote areas of Scotland I'm glad I opted for the normal (-10) PASM.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back