Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My miserable DANSK sport box experience - now RESULT!!!

Demort said:
I fitted Dansk boxes to a 996 today :oops:

So did my mechanic, well one of them, with something like this welded on :grin:

c25045te_1.jpg

After having a blast tonight and me and me mate giving it the :thumb: I may invest in getting the other side done.

Chose not to do both in case it didn't work but will soon be getting the other side done.

Simple solution but an annoying fix to have to make.

Still, I'd guess you'll be doing it again in 2 years yeah because if Dansk can't make one that lasts longer than that then no-one can, right? Right?!

:floor: :grin:

wasz said:
I think the earliest 996 exhausts didn't have a flexi at all.

From what I have seen the silencers are attached to brackets which fix on the cam covers. As such the entire exhaust system moves with the engine. If that is the case then I can see why they might not have flexi couplings on them.

MC

I asked my mechanic this. He said its probaly to relieve stress placed on the exhaust when it expands with the heat.

Exhausts are complicated beasts! Obviously there are airflow, emissions and noise issues but noise is a mix of gas flow noises and vibrations.

Exhausts are quite complex for vibration because of their shape and they can have a variety of resonances that are not desirable for noise and also can lead to fatigue failures. When I used to test them at Vauxhall (many years ago) we excited the exhaust with both the engine and a mechanical vibrator over a range of frequencies. We used accelerometers along the exhaust to measure the displacement and modelled the vibration modes. From this we could adjust design parameters to minimise noise and vibration, mounting the exhaust at major vibration nodes wherever possible. No doubt this is all achieved with computer modelling nowadays and probably using lasers to measure displacement rather than accelerometers.

The problem is that aftermarket suppliers won't test to this level and mixing and matching components certainly won't achieve optimum results in all areas. Flexible couplings will alter the way in which the exhaust as a unit vibrates but that may or may not be desirable.

Mike

Its deffo louder!! :lol:

Of course, glad you're pleased with that......

Not 100% sure on the aesthetics yet. Will look better once the cat/back box clamps shed the sealant. Must admit, it looks pretty snazzy, better than the ribbed one originally on.

Since I've had it done the top's been down - I'm just loving the sound :grin:

20170428_160044_HDR_zpsj2dpxuyl.jpg

20170428_160055_HDR_zpsf2avyopt.jpg

20170428_160130_HDR_zps2e8h7kgj.jpg

Forgot to mention, cost me £108 for flex + Labour. Had it serviced at the same time and also had the bolt removed from where my aircon was leaking (underside joint in front of the rear wheel).

Grand total for full service inc. plugs (Bosch), oil (Mobil 1), filters, removal of seized bolt and new O ring for joint, flexi joint on exhaust, labour and VAT came to £384

Pretty much the same as what ECP's best offer was.

I posted on here a couple of months ago when the flexi went on one of my Dansk sport boxes. I made a temporary repair while I dealt with dansk but they were very unhelpful so I gave up and will soon be taking the car in for new flexi sections to be fitted. Won't be buying or recommending dansk again.

i wont be recommending them either! espescially now i know i'm not alone in having both flexi's fail!
i do like the sound but having flexi's made out of kit kat wrappers with poor customer service doesnt get my seal of approval

Just done a sound check to see if we can give the fix a :thumb: or not.

Here's just filmed now:

and here's from 2.5 years ago when I had my Chinese manifolds fitted:

:grin: I especially like the little snarl / snort when you come off the power. Nice job with the woven flexi. Looks 100% better than the Dansk corrugated tinfoil cr@p. Fair enough it's an unwanted or should be unnecessary cost to the weekend, however I would say it actually looks like a quality exhaust system now. A rather good ending to a bad start of the week. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back