Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo as an investment?

MisterCorn said:
EGTE said:
I think collectors have to be careful in the very long-term; there will pretty likely be a day where all non-electric cars will be banned from the roads, I bet.

That is a long way off, if we are going to move to all electric cars we will need a huge amount of new charging infrastructure, never mind the amount of new power generation. Given the problems we hear about with just keeping the lights on through the winter it will take a huge change in government thinking and for them to stick with it for 20 or 30 years before this gets anywhere.

MC

Mister Corn, you have nailed it perfectly, have been saying the exact same thing for years now since the government started pushing for electric cars. Not to mention the resultant Nox pollution from the power stations etc make Dieselgate look tame.

As for electric propulsion? Great if you like being hurled toward the horizon with no fuss or drama, but for me at least, one look at Drivetribe's review of the 991.2 GT3 succinctly nails why petrol power will take some beating for many years to come. Soul.

tom_nieto said:
Bund said:
Again this thread has got me thinking if I've done the right thing?

This is the R8 I'm keen on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282412604314

The price is high but would have cost me about another £7/8k over the bid I turned down on my Turbo X50 manual car(70k) as we discussed a much lower outright purchase price for the R8. .

Have I made a mistake?

Your mistake is looking at the V8 rather than the V10. I just can't see that the V8 R8 is a good enough upgrade from an X50 996. More modern, sure, but you'd get into a 997 turbo if modern was what you were after. What did you think when you test drove the R8?

Its the second R8 I've been in or driven, I think they are great road cars as is the Turbo but you don't have the interior room of the Turbo, the R8 sounds better under load, feels planted and goes quick enough. Subjective but i did prefer the looks of this particular R8 to my car and Id have this particular car over a 997 Turbo. I wouldn't pay more to have another 4wd Turbo is how i feel at the moment.

I haven't been in a V10 but the buckets and full extended leather are more important to me than which engine is in it as the standard seats kills the interior for me.

I would get as much out of a V8 as I would a V10 on the road so I don't see the need paying up for the 10.

The reason i didn't follow through with it was just because my head told me my car is going one way albeit slowly and the R8 is likely to still be going down. After reading some the posts though Im starting to doubt myself. :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back