Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie to forum & Porsche ownership, any advice welcome

Thanks for the response & advice from everyone just what I needed some further insight and peace of mind. I've read online Cath was very good & on the phone she's straight talking I liked how she explained things with no *****.

I don't doubt the BMW will go out the window once you start in a 911 & modifications wise I've already got a few things in mind, my main objective is obviously to bring the car up to scratch mechanically first.

Cosmetically I'll be giving the car a hefty detailing to bring paintwork back to its best, I like the idea of doing the inside of the claw wheels in black or gunmetal I've seen some pictures of that & it gives the 997 that retro Porsche look which really suits the car. On top of that I fancy the guards red seatbealts & the short throw gear stick sounds a simple one. I've read on here few people getting the steering wheel recovered aswell for not lot of money so that sounds like a nice way to freshen things up inside the car.

Sounds like you've done your homework.

Yes, the short shifter is a great mod. You'll love it and buy the one on ebay £40. Simple to install. Just Google search it and theres a great ( how to) on pelican parts website.

Theres an intake mod with bmc filter on design 911 website which is excellent imo. Lets the car breath more freely and a lovely howl when over 6k rpm 8)

Zunsport front grills to stop any crud getting into the rads.

LED front and rear lights freshens the look.

All the above ive done plus wheel refurb.

Now onto suspension mods on my list. Lowering springs with 15mm wheel spacers all around. Gives the car a more aggressive looking stance .

Oh yeh baby :grin:

Alfaian said:
Sounds like you've done your homework.

Yes, the short shifter is a great mod. You'll love it and buy the one on ebay £40. Simple to install. Just Google search it and theres a great ( how to) on pelican parts website.

Theres an intake mod with bmc filter on design 911 website which is excellent imo. Lets the car breath more freely and a lovely howl when over 6k rpm 8)

Zunsport front grills to stop any crud getting into the rads.

LED front and rear lights freshens the look.

All the above ive done plus wheel refurb.

Now onto suspension mods on my list. Lowering springs with 15mm wheel spacers all around. Gives the car a more aggressive looking stance .

Oh yeh baby :grin:

Those all sound great aswell be looking into that cheers.

I think anything in keeping with the subtle evolution of the car is going to look awesome on a 911. I have considered a white or nardo grey wrap on it but part of me says stick with keeping to its classic looks I actually quite like the car in artic silver there's something classy about the lines of it.

I love the silver look of mine.

Tyres is another thing to look at. Went from Pirelli P zeros to Michelin pilot sport 2 and it transforms the handling. On mine anyway :grin:

It's also recommended to change tyres on the 911 when they hit 3mm.

All good food for thought and this site is brilliant for help and advice.

We're all enthusiasts and my place has Porsche wall art in 2 rooms ( bachelor pad ) :)

Monkeynutz said:
DP911 said:
Same story mate Harry Fairbairns in Glasgow rang me last week probably after seeing the car being searched for an HPI or something & started probing me when I told them what I was doing he started telling me about a lovely M4 5£36 had sitting that in 'the real world would blow away a 911 anyway' and if I wanted to still go ahead with 'my midlife crisis supercar' then he would understand lol he was only having bit of joke and banter & the conversation ended with come on in & chat anyway & fair play to you if you do it bcos it's a beautiful car & highly desirable but 'you'll be back like many others have'

But for once I don't believe him, I haven't even got my hands on a 911 yet & I know owning 1 is going to be something very special I love BMW's I think they are fantastic cars but not as special as the Porsche and well yes the depreciation curve is horrendous on them. I could have owned a couple of 911's by now in what I've lost & still have the money looking timeless, providing a big grin & still sitting on my driveway so perhaps it won't be my last BMW ever but I'm already thinking it won't be the only Porsche I ever buy either.

Likewise, I love BMW right from when I bought my first one over 10 years ago. Still like them but I can't stomach the money lost anymore when there are affordable 911s out there. The only BMW I would buy now is an E46 or E90 IF I had the spare cash and space but I don't and the 911 is a joy. I don't miss the toys from the BMW at all now and am firmly of the belief that the toys are needed in those cars because they are not that fun to drive. I don't care that I don't have DAB anymore, iDrive or a seamless phone interface in fact I rarely have the radio on at all ;)

Only other advice I would throw out there is to get involved in the community like PCGB, Tipec and of course the community here. Go to some of meets etc. It's been a real eye opener for me and I have already made some cracking friends as well as learnt a huge amount about these cars. I went to the World Endurance Championship at Silverstone a couple of weeks ago, fantastic event and to see over 500 Porsches in the in-field parking area was just something else!

BMW e46 330 clubsport was probably the best BMW I owned. I had an e91 D3 Alpina aswell & tho it was nice and a very different beast you could just start to see the ergonomics and the traditional driver focused BMW cabin & whole experience was being replaced with countless driver aids and gadgetry. The F30 I have just now is just more of the same still great cars but I feel a 911 like many on here is something bit special compared to an M or a big engine 3 series it's just a fast saloon vs a real sports car.

It's highly unfair on BMW to compare it to a Porsche :hand:

Even saying the two names doesn't sound right. If a stranger asked you what car do you drive, saying a Porsche 911 gives you a glorious feeling inside :grin:

Yes there's plenty of fast cars out there but the 911 is just sublime in all aspects and in a league of its own 8)

DP911 said:
This looks lot of car for the money just the mileage would bother me at that money & the fact it's a 996 conversion rather a genuine 997 at least.

I just found my dream car... Search for yours via Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703062987970

You either buy a GT3 or you don't imo.

Tarting these cars up to look like something else isn't right. Leave it to the max power brigade :thumb:

Alfaian said:

Even saying the two names doesn't sound right. If a stranger asked you what car do you drive, saying a Porsche 911 gives you a glorious feeling inside :grin:

Yes there's plenty of fast cars out there but the 911 is just sublime in all aspects and in a league of its own 8)

Couple of boys in my work who've admired by bm in the past got wind I was thinking bout changing car & when I said I was looking at a 911 997 the response just was facially shock and awe and then 'that's my dream car, buy it buy it' lol so instant street cred in fact that's also what they said imagine the respect factor when you drive a 911 it just doesn't compare to the Bavarian ultimate ***** car they've always struggled to get past the reputation of being a car for ***** tho I've met an awful lot of great enthusiasts at the BMW car club events it's just the rep mobile 3 series salesman image

DP911 said:
Alfaian said:

Couple of boys in my work who've admired by bm in the past got wind I was thinking bout changing car & when I said I was looking at a 911 997 the response just was facially shock and awe and then 'that's my dream car, buy it buy it' lol so instant street cred in fact that's also what they said imagine the respect factor when you drive a 911 it just doesn't compare to the Bavarian ultimate ***** car they've always struggled to get past the reputation of being a car for ***** tho I've met an awful lot of great enthusiasts at the BMW car club events it's just the rep mobile 3 series salesman image

I'm glad you said it mate :lol: but yes, that's what I'm getting at.

I know a lad who's into his m3's and seen in the local one night. He came over to me and said have you got a Porsche :) couldn't stop him asking questions after I said yes :grin:

Alfaian said:
DP911 said:
This looks lot of car for the money just the mileage would bother me at that money & the fact it's a 996 conversion rather a genuine 997 at least.

Tarting these cars up to look like something else isn't right. Leave it to the max power brigade :thumb:

That would be my issue with it, knowing it's not the real deal & then resale time your trying to flog what a 10k 996 with its good clothes on?

So is someone gonna pay 20k again for the mods very limited market & in lot of ways I do just like the lines of a 997 Carrera it's very classic Porsche.

I like the turbos & GT cars with the spoiler and pumped up kit but like you said it needs to be the real car.

DP911 said:
Alfaian said:
DP911 said:

That would be my issue with it, knowing it's not the real deal & then resale time your trying to flog what a 10k 996 with its good clothes on?

So is someone gonna pay 20k again for the mods very limited market & in lot of ways I do just like the lines of a 997 Carrera it's very classic Porsche.

I like the turbos & GT cars with the spoiler and pumped up kit but like you said it needs to be the real car.

I agree. The 997 will be a classic in years to come imo.

As for that tarted 996. I'm sure there's a market , all be it small, for it.

It will appeal to a small minority but like you said. It has its nice clothes on :lol:

Turbos and GT3 are absolutely fantastic and everybody's dream but are expensive and expensive to run. I might get there one day but a fully sorted Carrera isn't a bad alternative at all 8)

Ok update on where I'm at with this 997.
Cath Burrows has came back & gave it a clean bill of health mechanically, only thing she's brought up on the inspection is air con needing regassed, 1 of the back quarter panels has had a bad respray (I personally didn't notice this) but she said to her can see it quite obviously so perhaps I need eyes testing or it was nice showroom lighting & finally rear tyres are right on the limit.

Other than that car's pretty straight, dealer has spent 7k with her doing the engine rebuild and though she said she couldn't do ALL of what she wanted to do due to their budget constraints she's done most of it and is relatively happy with the finished engine.

Now I will be getting a final talk with her on Friday to understand exactly what she has and hasn't done on the engine and take it from there but subject to that going well and me being happy going forward with the car what would you think I could potentially be knocking off the "agreed" price of the car after my mechanical inspection?

agreed £23k on the car I was thinking £500-700 off to sign the deal to cover me couple of tyres and getting the panel sprayed?
I am fussy if I know its there it will bother me.

Rear tyres alone will be £400-£500, never mind the respray..

You might have more luck asking for a free service (major/minor/spark plugs?) instead of cash off for respray. This will look better in their accounts.

They may also want to source the tyres for you.

That's how I negotiated when my dealer wouldn't budge on price. 4 tyres and a future major service inc plugs.... and a Porsche child seat.

Happy haggling :)

I think you in the right ball park with your expected discount up to a 1k sound spot on. RE the tarted 996 ,IMO there is nothing wrong with giving your car the aggressive look and stance, but to badge it a GT3 or RS when its not, will just get the P taken out of you. these are stunning cars in any of the variants and will bring comments but I can imagine nothing worse than when asked directly is it a GT3 and you have to say mmmm no :oops: :coat:

There are some lovely internal, external and engine mods you can enjoy doing to these cars without trying to make it something its not.

Keep us posted on progress :thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back