Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best way to buy a new spare key

The Chippy

So I've done a little snooping around on eBay and found the fobs and blades but I can't seem to find the transponders anywhere.

What the best way to go about sorting a spare key for my 996?

I only got one when I bought the car recently.

Thanks

I got my local indy to order the fob part from porsche and program it to the car as porsche are funny about releasing the access codes. A Piwis is needed to program the fob to the car. I got the blade made by one of the ebay companies that do it from a photo. Got the blade sent to a different address for added safety. All works perfectly!

As above, order the blade section online (about £20 from memory)
Then get the fob and transponder through your indy/OPC, who will also program it to your car.

Does £200 sound about right?

That's what my local Indy said the cost is.

Think i paid about 180 for mine all in last year, got my blade sorted for about 8 quid though i think??

Ok, I'll go for it then for £200, that's everything all in for that.

Thanks bud.

Last year I bought a new key head from "9 Apart" for £115 then a blank head & blade from eBay for £8 which I got cut for a few quid and used the blade in the new key head and then it cost £78 to get it programmed and my other non working key checked at the same time,

Del.

If you are not fussed about the remote button unlock you can just get a plain key cut on eBay and an immobiliser chip for about £2

You still need the codes and piwis to add it to the car though, indies are cheapest for this.

Or you could just tape the immobiliser chip out of your working key inside the dash. Do you feel lucky?

wasz said:
Or you could just tape the immobiliser chip out of your working key inside the dash. Do you feel lucky?

I tryed this the other day after reading about it here .. they do seem to come out easy enough , i was then curious to see how it worked so .. " disasembled " it .. glass with a soft core surrounded in copper wire .. im none the wiser :(

£180 -- £200 is about right , most of the cost is the fob from Porsche .. indys and OPC charge about 0.5 hrs as a stand alone job to code.

Ordered today, should get it on Tuesday.

He said he's charging £55 for coding and the rest is coming from Porsche.

I like the sound of leaving the chip in the car and spending a fiver on an eBay key! 😂

Spare key

Express Autokeys.co.uk

No remote, needs coding by indy but saves a fortune on porsche prices

£44.99 for transponder key up to 2004

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back