Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Home Lights acting up?

bradmax57

So new tyres fitted and the vibration issues solved on my 997.2 next thing is I seem to be having some intermittent issues with the home light function.......

Not sure if its something I'm doing or not but the dial is set to Home and usually when I unlock the car or lock it the front LED's light up along with rear number plates and rear lights, then occasionally when I either lock or unlock it it doesn't, at first I thought there might be some light sensor to tell it to do so but ive noticed a couple of times in almost complete darkness they don't light up :?

Any ideas?

Mine occasionally also does this. Never really bothered me though.

Same year and model...

James

Ive been thinking about this .. im going to take a wild stab in the dark and go for a software fault in the Rear cu .. its kinda part of the alarm system and i feel it would be the unit that would tell the front cu to activate the lights ..

Its under the passenger seat so worth checking if its damp at all there or any drinks bottles jammed under that seat that might leak on it .

Have noticed this on mine but only once in a while!

Demort said:
Ive been thinking about this .. im going to take a wild stab in the dark and go for a software fault in the Rear cu .. its kinda part of the alarm system and i feel it would be the unit that would tell the front cu to activate the lights ..

Its under the passenger seat so worth checking if its damp at all there or any drinks bottles jammed under that seat that might leak on it .

Cheers will have a look :thumb:

i noticed this when i first got my 997 GTS just over a year ago, i had it back into Porsche Reading for some warranty work and asked them to check this at the same time... they claimed that they had not heard of the issue before... however it turned out when i pushed them on it, that they then checked some other 997's they had in and they all did it! but was very intermittent. basically they just fobbed me off with some BS and did nothing about it at all... :nooo:

still does it now from time to time, annoys the hell out of me why something so simple does not work as per design!

My car is going into Portsmouth OPC in a few weeks for a service i will ask them to have a look as well while its there, just to see if they have a different view. i think the sensor for the home lights is in the corner of the speedo or rev counter (cant remember from the top of my head) but you can see it clear enough when you are sat in the car and looking for it.

funnily enough there was a bottle of water under the passenger seat but was sealed and carpets etc are dry, but seems they have stopped working all together now :(

Strangely I opened the car to come to work this morning and they came on but since getting to work no longer works, bizzare :(

How did i know there was going to be a drinks bottle under the seat :D

Its possible it has leaked in the past but either way after the other comments people have made and an OPC looking then im of the opinion that its a random software fault and as such you wont be fixing it im afraid .

Or in other words if you replaced the rear cu the new one would have the same fault if it is that cu .

Demort said:
How did i know there was going to be a drinks bottle under the seat :D

Its possible it has leaked in the past but either way after the other comments people have made and an OPC looking then im of the opinion that its a random software fault and as such you wont be fixing it im afraid .

Or in other words if you replaced the rear cu the new one would have the same fault if it is that cu .
haha I couldn't believe it when I saw it :) anyway oddly its been working perfectly this evening.......

I thought I'd had the same issue. In fact I was going to check how it was supposed to work because I thought I was imagining things. When you lock the car they should come on - and as far as I can remember they do. It's the coming back to the car and unlocking when I think they don't. Are you saying the home light function is light dependent?

On a related note, are the DRLs supposed to be on all the time, but then when you actually put sidelights on they dim slightly? That's what seems to happen but I thought this was a bit odd :dont know:

I think I need to dig around in the manual.

Yes, mine dim slightly when headlights are on.

James

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back