Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying my first 911. Advice please?

Just because there's an IMS bearing replacement out there that's expensive - don't confuse this as an upgrade. Some local washing machine shops will sell you a far superior product for £30.

bparry911 said:
Yes I like the look of that 997 Gen 2, really alternative colour too..

Thanks for the response Phil 997, some useful stuff in there.

I hadn't really considered a 997.1 but it seems a good option to me now as they tend to look around £10k cheaper than the Gen 2's. So are the post March 06 997.1's IMS problem free due to the better bearing? Yes I will have a bore scope done anyway. But is there an upgrade for the RMS too which could be worth doing/looking out for?

Finally, regarding the C2 I shared the link to, does this look too pricey for a 996 C2 or not? It does look a lovely thing but conscious it's nearly in C4S territory.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...era-2-2002-my52--landn--m030--pse-fsh/6987671

P.s love the 996 turbo but think I've missed the boat on the spec I'd want (manual coupe with mid miles - can't see any at mid 30's any more)

Yes mate the post march 06 gen1 has the better IMS regarded as a solution to the previous one. as with the 996 if you found a perfect car pre 06 then the upgrade IMS is available circa £1000. Its only my opinion but the 997.1 has hit the bottom of the depreciation curve it cant drop as the 996 is sitting just behind it and slowly increasing which in turn will force the 997.1 price to stay flat, other than the special models I think this is where its at, because the 996 cant continue to rise as the 997.1 is in that price slot and cant go up much as the 997.2 is sitting there,the 997.2 cant go up much as the 991.1 is sitting in that price slot . Now what we dont know is how the market and used car buyers will react to the 991.2 as for many inc. me making it a 3ltr turbo has finished the 911 Sporting heritage line. So will the used 991.1 become more desirable than the 991.2 if thats the case then the whole 911 range pre 991.2 might continue to rise. :dont know: :dont know:

re the turbo 996 yes tips in your budget but not manuals

996 is the new 964. Once an ugly duckling, then rocketing beyond belief in value. I'm already getting scared about selling mine. I've even come to work on my Vespa to avoid putting miles on................nothing to do with my snapped DANSK.....honest :oops:

Thanks for the replies everyone, this forum has turned out to be very useful for me, I'm glad I asked some questions before buying anything :thumb:

I'm going to keep an open mind when looking now, still looking at a manual coupe 996 c2 (normal or aero), 996 c4s, 997.1 (post march 06) and gen 2. hopefully I will find the right car soon

If anyone spots anything else popping up worth looking at please can you let me know.

good history, nice spec and looks nice! It certainly appears to have been looked after. PPI with scope and eyes wide open as to potential pitfalls of owning these types of cars as they all cost good money to maintain and it will never be cheap.
have another read of some buyers guides, the advice here and watch a youtube video or 2 and go armed with the questions you need answering.

The only thing I am not sure about is the extra radiator?

If it feels right then it probably is, if it doesn't then walk away ;)

Yes I will get the car PPI'd first.

Where is the extra radiator? I can't see anything about that?

Thanks

bparry911 said:

Thanks

Low temperature thermostat fitted as recommend by Porsche to run the engine at lower temperatures
Centre radiator
Genuine GT3 split rim BBS wheels

I thought only the GT cars had the extra oil radiator and I recall seeing some discussions previously on here that some people add an extra radiator to assist with cooling but there was some debate about it's effectiveness...way outside of my knowledge base though.

Monkeynutz said:
bparry911 said:

Thanks

Low temperature thermostat fitted as recommend by Porsche to run the engine at lower temperatures
Centre radiator
Genuine GT3 split rim BBS wheels

I thought only the GT cars had the extra oil radiator and I recall seeing some discussions previously on here that some people add an extra radiator to assist with cooling but there was some debate about it's effectiveness...way outside of my knowledge base though.

All Tiptronics had the centre radiator as standard.

The reasons why were discussed here => http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=60...ostorder=asc&highlight=center+centre+radiator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back