Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cab top electrical gremlin

kerb scraper

Dear fellow cab owners and any others who may interested,

The top open/close has always been a bit temperamental after winter storage and usually improves after a run.

Not this year :sad:

Right now only the offside latching motor runs when the top down switch is activated.

Spent half of yesterday checking the four microswitches at the front and the two at the rear and they all seem to work.

If I connect 12v to the nearside latching motor it runs just fine but even when both sides are unlatched the rear motor doesn't start running. The 30A fuse in position 13 is good.

I took out the electronic control unit and tried re-flowing solder on some of the dry looking joints (worked once before!) (and shaking and twisting it!) - still no joy; but I suspect this famously unreliable unit might be the problem.

Does anyone have a recommendation for place that could test and fix the control unit?

Is there a go-to cabriolet roof guru in the land?

....... for all things electrical ....... in fact all things 993 ....... Tore B is the man ......... :)

madalaa said:
....... for all things electrical ....... in fact all things 993 ....... Tore B is the man ......... :)

D'oh! - why didn't I think of that? :roll: Thanks. Just checked Tore's website and sure enough there is even a picture of his purpose built test rig for the cab roof control unit.

:?: Quite fancy a little road trip to Norway

Thanks for the trust guys.
The most common problem in these units are failing solderings, and is easily repaired. I have indeed a bespoke test rig for the cabrio module, and my repair includes a full functional test.

If anyone fancy coming up here you are very welcome! Would be great fun to see you fellow 993 nuts up here.

Cheers,
Tore

Hmmmm ....... a trip to Oslo in the 993 sounds very tempting ........ the son of my dearest friend is dancer with the Norwegian Ballet Company ...... I have been there with her to visit him and have been to several performances at the fabulous new Theatre ....... it's time I returned ....... :)

Shouldn't be to much driving to get here, there's a ferry from Newcastle to Kristiansand. That'll be an opportunity to take the scenery route up to Oslo.
Cheers,
Tore

ToreB said:
Shouldn't be to much driving to get here, there's a ferry from Newcastle to Kristiansand. That'll be an opportunity to take the scenery route up to Oslo.
Cheers,
Tore

Well - sadly that ferry it seems is no longer running so I've taken the slightly easier but infinitely less exciting option of posting my roof control unit to Tore.

Before sending it I popped into Jaz this morning with the control unit already unbolted and easily accessible so we could easily try swapping it over with Jaz's spare test unit. As expected the roof then opened and closed normally; so that's the problem then.

Well at least you now know that is problem ........ :)

When did that ferry stop running?

madalaa said:
Well at least you now know that is problem ........ :)

When did that ferry stop running?

Yes indeed. Don't know about the ferry - but it was a nice idea.

UPDATE

Control unit received back from Tore and very pleased to say it is fixed and the roof now glides up and down when required.

No more irritating 'roof fault' light glowing on the dash and a persistent rattle from one of the front motorised latches has gone.

I also took the opportunity while the glovebox was out, to properly hide away my Loudlink bluetooth unit and associated wiring so it is now a proper 'stealth mod'.

Massive credit to Tore for a great service once again. Cruising back from Ealing late yesterday evening with the Berville 'T lights' illuminating the dark lanes was another pleasure.
:worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back