Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anybody removed the soft touch paint?

mkoenigsheim

Monza
Hi all...
I have bought a new centre console as a project - i want to spray it body coloured. Has anybody every done this themselves?

I guess i need to get the current rubbery soft touch paint t off - has anybody done this?

Chemicals or sanding?

If i screw it up I will get it covered in leather :)

I did this in my old boxster. I recall I just used some fine wet and dry - it came off fairly easily, and then primed it.
Good luck.

If you make a mess of your job , don't worry you can send it to Wicked Coatings in Poole who will paint it body coloured or even carbon dip it for you . they do a fantastic job and a number of guys on here have used them . I will post a pic of my centre console done by them and also the frunk battery trim etc done by them in carbon dip. Hope that helps you.

Attachments

• 10car_131.jpg
    10car_131.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 2,761
  • 8car_136.jpg
    8car_136.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 2,761
  • img_1330_211.jpg
    img_1330_211.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,761
  • img_1337_155.jpg
    img_1337_155.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,761
Hi Phil - i saw the group buy! Awesome result.

I live in Germany so need to pay shippong.. to be fair I just fancy a play to see how I can get it to look - like you say, if i screw it up i can get it fixed by an expert!

mkoenigsheim said:
Hi Phil - i saw the group buy! Awesome result.

I live in Germany so need to pay shippong.. to be fair I just fancy a play to see how I can get it to look - like you say, if i screw it up i can get it fixed by an expert!

I do know one member who sanded his with a fine paper and then used plastidip to recoat it , pretty decent result . keep us posted on how it comes out. :thumb:

rob_p said:
I did this in my old boxster. I recall I just used some fine wet and dry - it came off fairly easily, and then primed it.
Good luck.

Job done! Thanks Rob

Phil 997 said:
If you make a mess of your job , don't worry you can send it to Wicked Coatings in Poole who will paint it body coloured or even carbon dip it for you . they do a fantastic job and a number of guys on here have used them . I will post a pic of my centre console done by them and also the frunk battery trim etc done by them in carbon dip. Hope that helps you.

Phil - where did you get your steering wheel Porsche crest from?

I removed this soft touch rubberised coating from my hard back seats and it was easy using normal paint stripper. It only attacked the top coat and didn't harm the hard plastic underneath, it peeled off with a scraper. This then allowed me to prime and paint as you would normally do.

I was considering a similar task recently, with different options to re-coat it.

Ive used plastic-dip in the past with great results, would definitely bring back the OEM result and anything like a fine sand paper/alcohol would take it off i think!

It gets far too damaged easily though, clumsy women and handbags!

Carrerascott said:
Phil 997 said:

Phil - where did you get your steering wheel Porsche crest from?

It was custom made by this guy in the states he did my bonnet and wheel crest in matching acid green but can do anything you want, very good quality and they are refurbed genuine crests he can even fill it with a clear resin if you want that . have a look at his facebook page there are lots of options

https://www.facebook.com/Porschecrestscom-390130604461406/

https://www.carreraeast.com/hood-crests

Attachments

• hoodcrests1312433533_156.jpg
    hoodcrests1312433533_156.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 2,473

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back