Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Cheers JM. If my car ends up looking like a black version of yours it'll be "job done".
As for the knowledge, I'm not sure about that. As I'm approaching 40 I'm getting more like Homer Simpson. Every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. :grin:
We just have a go. What's the worst that can happen.
Loads of good lads on here with advice and plenty of good how-to's. Really good forum.
All the best with your car!
:thumb:

Haha, well you got a great portfolio of some tasty 911's past and present learning the cars weak points and what to look for goes a long way it seems,

Thanks for the comment on mine mate, well i love a good build tread and yours is going to be of great interest 8)

Good luck with the progress i'm excited for you, love having a big pile of goodies waiting to be fitted!

Great forum this. :thumbs:

J

Righto, quick update as I managed to get a day or so on the car.
I've been off work on the sick and thought I'd get loads done whilst being off but as the op was on my leg, stopping me from bending it or kneeling I actually couldn't do much, hey ho.

So first off Craig popped up and we had a big ghey rear wiper delete fest. :grin:

Now this is a mod that I'm not really bothered about until I get my aero kit on but it's easy and indoors so why not.

I had made my wife take me to Halfords on the way home from hospital so I could get some paint mixed, much to her bewilderment.

So armed with my paint, primer, lacquer and bung, we began.

Materials -

Before -

After -

That was a week or so ago. This weekend just gone, Craig brought his gundo'd Dansk sports boxes up as he now has the Topgear switchable system on his which sounds very nice. 8)
That is exhaust system number five in his ownership. I'm now onto number three on mine.

Now I was content with my standard Dansk sports as coupled to my stainless manifolds they sound fine. Without the manifolds they are quite quiet, hence Craig gundo'ing his.
Anyway, I thought I'd try the gundo'd ones as we are selling whatever ones I don''t want.

You can see the standard set at the back and the gundo'd set in front.

So, the verdict? Very little difference. Slightly more bark when blipping the throttle but pretty much the same at tickover. Craig done a vid of them when on the move but it's always hard to tell through a speaker.
I'm happy to keep them though.
I have the EP4110 tail pipes to go on but they weren't polished up ready and to be honest I quite like the ones that are on, even though they're aftermarket.

While we had the rear bumper off we decided to do my engine mounts. I haven't photographed it all like a how to because there are loads of guides online already. Basically stick a bit of wood on a jack to support engine and swap them over.
My first one took 5 mins, but the second was seized solid. We battled with it, which involved power bars, drilling and much fluid leaking out and in the end got it done.

Materials -

Free jelly beans are always welcomed -

Old one -

Comparison -

You can see the rubber section of the old one protrudes slightly further than on the new one. Not much though and I've seen worse.

New one -

The verdict - To be honest I was expecting a revelation but it wasn't. Rear end slightly tighter maybe and a bit of driveline shunt gone at low speed throttle changes but other than that , not a world away from before. Still its one of those age related 996 items that are generally due by now.

So that's it for now, just keeping it up to date. Still can't get properly stuck in as I want to get my house to a certain point before I can really concentrate on car.
It's going to my indy in June for a boat load of work and there are a few jobs for me to do first such as rads, condensers and fan resistors, so that will no doubt be the next job. Need to get my garage loft boarded so I can make space in the garage to strip the front end down.

Anyway, cheer, au reservoir!

;)

Great thread and technical write ups for future reference :thumbs:
Aero Kit will look great on your car, look forward to see the progress.

Where did you purchase the 'bung' for the wiper delete? I am doing the same on my 911.

Thanks Yas,

My bung isn't on Ebay at the moment, but this one looks identical.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/De-Wiper-...629349?hash=item43e370cce5:g:uyQAAOxy4YdTTCup

If I were buying one now though I'd probably go for the one Rich (ELA) recommends, as it's metal and available in 3 profiles, dome, flat and trapezoidal.

I think this is it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-C...091524?hash=item4b08f91fc4:g:uuEAAOSwUKxYlOdt

One thing we found mind was that it was tricky to get the rear nut into position. The rear panel is double skinned but the stud sticking off the bung only reaches in through the outer skin.
We ended up drilling a small hole in the rear nut and tying a piece of thread to it.
We then pulled it in through the rear centre brake light hole then held in in position while screwing the bung in. Fiddly but not hard.

Interested to hear if we missed something daft anyone? :puh:

Great thread Marky.

Love reading people's threads and hearing their passion for their cars. We all approach everything in a different manner which is what makes these types of threads so interesting.
Souns like you are well competent and will be doing some interesting things along the way, which I look forward to seeing and reading about :thumb:

Thanks Mark for the links and useful tips. A job to try and do over the Bank holiday weekend, if i get the time! have to get some Speed Yellow paint mixed up. Wiper delete makes a whole difference IMO. :thumbs:

Wiper delete for me also, certainly on the list.
Going into Revolution in a couple of weeks to get an uprated clutch new IMS AC rads and calipers painted Yellow.
Then i'll be calling on Exel wheels fancy a change of colour on the GT3 wheels.
Cars Arctic Silver so thinking maybe Black or Anthrocite?

Current look

Attachments

• 17916597_10156004755983102_1662224270_o_493.jpg
    17916597_10156004755983102_1662224270_o_493.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 8,573
Cheers Cappers - Yes I love watching peoples car evolve. Some lovely ones on here, not least yours. :thumb:

Go for it Yas. It looks so much better. If I sat on motorways regularly in the rain I may have kept the wiper but for a summer car you don't need it. Plus you can get these glass treatments so the water just beads off anyway.

So you got that MK2 then ED. Great stuff!

I PM'd you the other night to see if you'd bought it but the bloody thing wouldn't send.
It looks lovely as it is but I know you like to put your own stamp on it.

For the wheels I'd be thinking Weiss Gold but Agate Grey probably just tops it. I'm sure you'll have it tip top in no time! Cracking car and how rare is a MK2 Carrera with MK2 GT3 kit!? Unicorn hunting. :thumbup:

Pointless update but I'm excited so will bore anyone who reads this -

Nothing much done this week. Took my wife car shopping as she's had her '08 Focus for years now. She'd usually change much more often but we've had bigger fish to fry, what with doing our house for over 3 years etc, plus her and I having health scares and things.

Anyway, I wanted to use the C2, as salesmen respond better to you and take you a bit more seriously. I know it shouldn't be like that and some people purposefully go in a banger and if the salesman over looks them they go elsewhere, but I just wanted to get the job done and unfortunately in life people's impressions sometimes affect a situation or the service you get.
Like I say it shouldn't be like that and I'm not shallow at all, but it's not great pulling up in £1500 worth of focus to test drive a £25k car.

So I gave it a quick wash yesterday morning anyway.

So we had a test drive booked and completely believed we'd be buying an Infinity Q30.
They are to Nissan, what Lexus is to Toyota, using Merc components and built at Nissan in Sunderland, so we thought 'quality car and we can buy British", what with Brexit an' all that.

Anyway, long story short, bad budget creep kicked in, no car available in our ideal spec and sluggish (1.5D). Nice interior but the car itself was generally bland and just didn't excite us. Disappointing as we honestly thought that was our next car before going there.

So it was almost closing time at the Silverlink, which is a big area of car dealers in the north east and we popped into a different manufacturer dealer on the way past. Great sales lad. No slavver, just honest and helpful. We ran out of time so booked an appointment for 9 this morning, to test drive a bog standard car, as my wife was changing cars to save on fuel and running costs primarily. We then drove the version I liked. The result? Well we left a deposit on this. :D

The pics don't do it justice, especially the side view. Loads of nice little touches and styling bits.

Press pic.

So bear with me... :D

It's a Fiat 595 (formerly 500) Abarth. These have been a guilty pleasure of mine since they were launched. They look cool, have Italian flair and sound like old skool 80's RS Turbos and Renault 5 GT Turbos, which I grew up around.

Of course they're so girly I could never own one for me and my wife generally needs a decent boot as she's a teacher. So why now? Well we wandered around the dealership when we first passed on Friday night and were generally like kids in a sweetshop. These cars are just so much fun. Not mature, not a premium product, but they just make you smile. Then sitting in the corner of the showroom was a brand new Trofeo model. It has telemetry for trackdays, different wheels and most importantly a mental exhaust. Honestly I don't know of any cheapish hot hatch that makes a noise even half as good. It's bonkers. It has a few other bits too like Apple Car Play, full digital dash with loads of screens for telemetry, tyre monitoring, sport mode etc. Sport mode moves the speedo out the way and the rev counter appears in the centre of the dash. Very 911. :wink:

We paid £500 for the metallic Rekord Grey paint and it comes with yellow accents, centre caps and calipers. Apart from that, thats it. It's bordering on chavvy but you know what, I don't care. For once we are going with our hearts not our heads and it feels bloody great.

Anyway, we both just loved that exact car so we've bought it. It's honestly the most excited I've been about a car for years and years, 911s included. It's like being 18 or 19 again. Obviously I love my 911s but buying a 911 for me is one half 'excitement", other half 'I hope this thing doesn't bankrupt me".

Buying this Abarth is just pure excitement, worry free. It feels good I must say. I knew I'd own one one day and that time has come. :grin:

Anyway, I know this is 911uk not Abarth jizz-fest uk, but that's the focus of my attention this weekend, so there. :p
Next update will be Porsche related.

Congrats on the new purchase. Those things look so much fun.

:congrats:

Pocket rockets and loads of fun.

:thumb:

Mark great buy with the Abarth! I used to own a Punto Abarth. Little Italian pocket rockets with the 1.4 Turbo engines. Easy to mod too and great go karts for the town driving. Enjoy! :thumbs:

Looks like you have the Monza exhaust, they sound great :)

Abarth Jizz-fest Forum :floor:

Got a soft spot for these too... heard one in a multi-storey once and thought it was a Lambo or something then this little fiat 500 crawled around the corner :eh!:

Love em, slam it and put whitewalls on it :bandit:

Enjoy Marky, sounds like you and the miss's deserve it!

Cheers lads! I wasn't sure there'd be much love for them in here but I'm glad a few people can appreciate them for the daft bit of fun they are.

Yas - You're exactly right re the exhaust, it's the Monza. We actually test drove a Turismo but then when we got back to the dealer's he started up a Trofeo which has the different exhaust and we were sold. It's 5hp down on the Turismo at 160 instead of 165, but torque is the same and the Trofeo has "that" exhaust plus a few trinkets and Apple Car Play which is cool.

I only recently realised they were still doing turbo'd Puntos. My mate had a yellow Mk1 Punto GT just after we left school. It was mega back then. We thought it could bend the space-time continuum :grin:

Cheers Cappers and yes I just love the sound of them. As I've said they have that old skool turbo burble which takes me back 20 years.
... and yeah my wife definitely deserves it. She puts up with me for starters and this is a little bit of fun after a couple of gloomy years. All good at the minute though.

Again thanks for the comments lads. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back