Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 2S oil level gauge/ sender

rob001

Silverstone
With car on flat surface drained the oil as usual and approx 5 liters came out. Changed filter and put back approx. 7.5 liters and now the cluster gauge is already showing full. Any ideas? Will drain soon again to measure exactly how much will come out. I suspect oil level sender. Is this easy to reach for replacement or any known issues with the sender on a m97 engine?

Hi rob, all those views and no replies so I felt compelled :D

It sounds as the level sensor had packed in. Can't help with its location but running with 5 litres of oil in the lump is dangerous as they hold just over 8 litre's to max.

Someone else will certainly chime in with better advice. There's a great bunch of fellow enthusiasts on here :thumb:

Good luck.

Will drain first and carefully measure how much come out and then see what the cluster gauge will indicate after draining (empty, not starting))) and then again with 6 liters. If still full it must be the sender. Still try to figure out if it it can be easy replaced.

Is this a gen 2 ?

Gen 2 if only left for a few mins draining would be around 5-6 ltrs , gen 1 and around 7 .

Its best to leave them to drain out for approx 30 mins then youll get about 8 ltrs when refilled.

They do hold approx 11 ltrs but you wont get it out .

Re indicator , you drained out about 5 and put 7.5 ltrs in ? then thats going to be overfilled i would have thought .

If the indicator for the oil fails you get a message and also no reading , when you drain the oil turn the ignition on and it should show as empty , obviously dont start the car .

Thanks Demort. It is a gen 1.
Seems to be somehow :dont know: insufficient drain then!
Car is not driven till drained again and gauge level checked when empty.

Rob as Demort says they should take 8.5 LTR aprox to refill a gen1. and each bar on the guage is only about 250/350mm so even if the gauge is showing min there should still be over 7 Ltrs of oil in the car. Its a common mistake to assume one bar on the gauge = 1/4 of a tank and therefore you need to put in 2lts this is NOT the case . HOPE THAT HELPED :thumb:

Drained withr fully warmed up engine and left overnight. Approx 8,25 L came out. Gauge is ok and refilled intial with 7,5 L and topped up till ok on the gauge, all ok now. So i guess not proper drained the first time and then slightly overfilled. Lesson learned take your time when draining!

rob001 said:
Drained withr fully warmed up engine and left overnight. Approx 8,25 L came out. Gauge is ok and refilled intial with 7,5 L and topped up till ok on the gauge, all ok now. So i guess not proper drained the first time and then slightly overfilled. Lesson learned take your time when draining!

Good news Rob, :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back