Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Plug and Play Shift Lights

poppopbangbang

Nurburgring
Probably one for those that use their 996s on track but as a result of some spare Friday afternoon R&D time I finished off the PNP Shift lights prototype. It works a treat.

Plug them into the OBD2 port under the passenger side and they will give you sequential shift lights with user programmable shift RPM and light interval (how soon before the set shift point each light illuminates). They're ultra bright LEDs so work in sunlight and are setup as a Green, Green, Amber, Red pattern so it's easy to see in our peripheral vision where you are relative to the ideal shift point.

They can be configured on a narrow band, used mainly for upshift or on a wide band used for upshift and to prevent downshifting too early, the later you would set your shift point for the upchange you wanted but set the maximum light interval which would give you a circa 1500RPM spread between the first light and last light. The light module is the same Advent built one I have used in my car for a long time and on everything from Formula Fords to GT cars so it's well proven reliability wise.

This is where I had them on mine, with a thin velcro strip so they were easily removeable, although they ended up fitted for about three years :)

They'll work with any 996 or 986 Boxster. Is this something anyone would be intersted in as if so I will look at the costs to make a small batch up :D

I`d definately be up for some of these PPBB :thumb:

How would the user configure them though, plug in a laptop ?

kurlykris said:
I`d definately be up for some of these PPBB :thumb:

How would the user configure them though, plug in a laptop ?

Way simpler than that! On the back of the shift light module there is a "setting" button. Plug them in, hold the engine at 50% of the RPM you want the last light on at and press the button. You can then let the engine drop to idle, press and hold the button to confirm until the lights flash. If you want to set a longer interval between the lights (default is 100RPM per light) just press the button after setting the shift point one, two or three times before pressing and holding it to confirm the setting. This will give you 150RPM, 200RPM or 250RPM between each light.

The memory is none volatile so you only need to do this once to set it, it will them remember the setting regardless of how long it is unplugged for.

Ahhh :sad:

I like plugging my laptops into stuff and fiddling, it makes me feel special :grin:

:sad: OOOh now I want one of them as well :grin:

You`re a really bad influence on me PPBB :thumbs:

How beneficial is this over standard protocol: watching rev counter, listening engine, basic 'knowing' when to change, etc?

Serious question and I can deffo see the logic of it and it being better, but as a non user, to a user - what do you reckon?

I likey! :thumb:

alex yates said:
How beneficial is this over standard protocol: watching rev counter, listening engine, basic 'knowing' when to change, etc?

Serious question and I can deffo see the logic of it and it being better, but as a non user, to a user - what do you reckon?

I likey! :thumb:

Very if you are doing track days as you will have a helmet on (so can't hear as well) and (hopefully!) be watching the circuit and other traffic, not the rev counter :wink:

The idea is shift lights provide a visual reference in your peripheral vision as to where in the rev range/how far from the shift point you are and avoid the need for any eyes off rev counter watching - just for road use these are totally unnecesary, well aside from the pub bragging rights maybe :lol:

Will it work on a 997/987 or only on a 996/986?

:grin:

Good answer.

:thumb:

tbrown said:
Will it work on a 997/987 or only on a 996/986?

Only on 996 unless I do another version to support 997/987 and I don't have a 997/987 here that I can sniff the CAN on to work out which packet has RPM on it...... if you think it is worthwhile I can see what I can do?

Are you thinking about retailing these?

Particularly useful for those running cup steering wheels as the top of the wheel blocks your line of sight to the important part of the rev counter!

PPBB,

Sign me up if you are getting a batch made.

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back