Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newcomer and looking to purchase my dream car

geomac79 said:
Wow Phil that's what I call help. My head is all over the place with all the extra info I've learned over the last few days. I've always wanted a cab so I think for my first 911 it would have to be that or it would always be a case of what if. I got a video and a full history of the car in the first link and it looks good but it's missing the extras that you mentioned and I think with the price being at the top of my budget it doesn't leave much room for the improvements that would be needed. I think the search continues.

I'm currently working out in Kazakhstan and I thought I knew what I wanted and I would be able to buy without seeing it and just get a PPI done. The closer I'm getting and all the info you lot have given has showed me that I need to see as many as I possibly can. Bring on the 2 weeks when I'm home

The info you guys have given me is unreal especially with me being a newbie so I can only thank you all

Mate you are welcome, happy to help as most on here would be. If before you get back you see the perfect one and its south of London the guy I said about would go and do a full PPI and you would get a written report, he would also drive it for you and as he's driven hundreds of them would give you good feedback. Its an option incase you see the perfect car but are still away. :thumb: :grin: :thumb:

Geo, the next step, is to go and drive C2S and C4S examples as they really are massively different cars. The purer drivers car is a manual C2S, but some people will prefer a C4s in Tip or PDK. Personally, I don't like any auto gearbox, but each to their own and the only way to work out which is for you is to drive them. I drove 4 C2S' and 1 C4S cabrio (I have a 2007 C2S with a huge options list) and it took me about 1.5 years to find the car I have now.

Don't discount Gen 1 cars, they will be cheaper and if looked after won't be a problem but if it's peace of mind, a non S gen 2 car might be a good option. Plenty around, especially with your budget, just don't rush in and if a car doesn't feel right, walk away, or come and ask us our opinion :)

enjoy the test drives, they are quite a pleasant thing to do :)

resigner said:
enjoy the test drives, they are quite a pleasant thing to do :)

:drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: phew :driving:

Hi Folks

Sorry to bring up an old thread I thought it would be better to use this thread as it's on the same subject.

After looking at a few 911's I decided not to buy one back in April, I then went through a phase of thinking I wanted a M3 but I came to my senses and went back to looking for a Porsche.

I've managed to convince myself that since the M3 was about £45k then why not look for a Porsche at that price, to my surprise there are a few nice 997 Turbos in the high 40's so that is now my goal.

I've saw the car below and since there were so many helpful guys first time round I thought I would ask here on people's thoughts on this car.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-warranty-hardback-seats-bose-sunroof/7681623

It's been up for sale for a while I think since April minimum so I'm hoping maybe someone knows the car or can shed any light on why it's been up for sale for so long.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Others will shortly pitch in, but a good looking (albeit auto), reasonable spec'd and mileage 997 T on the market for so many months suggests all is not well.

Only one way to find out though and asking these guys is a great start. Hope it's a winner for you. :thumb:

Bonners1 said:
Others will shortly pitch in, but a good looking (albeit auto), reasonable spec'd and mileage 997 T on the market for so many months suggests all is not well.

Only one way to find out though and asking these guys is a great start. Hope it's a winner for you. :thumb:

That was my thoughts as well, thanks for the reply

It's a little odd that the car is listed as a private sale on PH, but as a dealer car on AutoTrader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704084208842

However, if it has 12 months+ OPC Warranty, then what's not to like... apart from it is very RED and a tip! :eek:

Have you driven a 997turbo tip v a 997S gen2 pdk? Do you really need a rocket ship? The gen2 is a really sorted car and plenty quick!

I am not really up on the prices of the 997T, but I am sure that other guys here can give you a steer.

Good Luck!

The PH ad implies that it's a private sale through a dealer i.e it's on a Sale or Return deal but many people don't even look at 'private' ad's.

At that price - with a long OPC warranty - it represents good value but if it's been for sale privately just that fact would be enough to put many buyers off as they may need finance and/or have a part-exchange which might explain why it's been for sale for a while.

There's always a market for Red Turbos and in a field of 911s they always stand out in the crowd. Also, ladies love them. :D

If you're not used to autos or aren't sure whether one would suit you then you'd have to drive one. A similar age/mileage/spec manual will cost you £3k-£5k more.

The red one looks nice for some reason I can't open the piston heads links.
There's lots of good reasons to get a gen1 turbo but the most discussed reason is the famed mezger engine. thats the reason many think these cars will be future classics. :thumb:

Thanks for the advise much all very helpful, It sounds as though someone is going through the garage privately.

I don't need the power but I want it 😂

Red is my favourite colour and for some reason I'm not a great lover of the red on the non turbo 911's but on the turbos they look great.

I won't be doing a lot of miles on the car as I'm out the country 9 months f the year so I'm thinking with the low mileage and good history the car has it should at minimum stay the same value.

Being a an auto is not the best but I'm already stretching my budget for this one and putting a 5 at the front of the price seems to make a huge difference

Is there anything I should be looking out for questions you guys think I should be asking .

If you are asking questions, its worth asking the dealer if anyone has checked the ECU for over-rev data. When I was looking to purchase my turbo a couple of years back, the ones that had sat around for sale the longest were ones that had a negative report showing some hard driving at top end of the rev range. If this one has a Porsche warranty its probably not an issue (as they check this too) but one to inquire about maybe.

good luck with it and enjoy the test drive!

Just phoned the garage to ask a few more questions and was told the car was now sold.

Back to the drawing board again, thanks for the help on this one

Bummer! :notme:

Looks like a good example and will come with the bullet proof 2 year OPC Warranty.

Only thing is....thought you wanted a 997T?

IMO wait for the right car. You don't want to be sat at the lights in the 996 next to a 997 and think...I wish I had one of them?

996 and 997 are both great cars. Just make sure you get the one you want most.

Save up a bit more, sell something or bin the missus.

You know it makes sense! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back