Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 GT3 - Invalid warranty claim & over rev

Erm .. im not going to comment to much here but might i suggest another OPC looks at it as i think the Mechanic might be a little confused .

I will however say a non Porsche part such as this is asking for trouble come a claim .. cant say if it has any bearing .. buts its an excuse ... im an ex OPC mechanic btw :)

Hi TheGT3ofDC

Are they claiming the over-rev is reason for not providing a fix under warranty or the non-standard parts? I can understand the latter (given OPC policy) but not the former.

Cheers
Mark

I don't think Porsche can have anything other than an official policy of no modifications. It would be a huge undertaking to decide on a case by case basis what were reasonable modifications and what weren't....it would also lead to an awful lot more disgruntled customers if they said "sensible mods were okay"....How do you define sensible/reasonable etc for different components.

I've though a lot about putting a Sharwerks exhaust on my 997 GTS and come to the conclusion it's just not worth it whilst I have the warranty. I know some people go back to OEM for visits to the OPC etc but I really can't be bothered with that and god forbid the car needs to go in on a low loader after it's broken down. You're screwed.

I think if most people on here were the bloke at Porsche who decides this policy and you then think about the about of time it would take on a global basis making decisions on what is and isn't a reasonable claim because of mods you would very quickly say no....

Yes but. It depends what the fault is and why. Its not that hard for them to take a view on that now is it.

If i modify my brake pads should that invalidate my warranty when my pcm goes wrong?

Of course it shouldn't, and, in my experience it doesn't.

op has not yet told us what it is they wont actually pay for so jury is still out. If the fault is related to the mod then fair enough.

As I understand it, and they've not been entirely clear, they are claiming the Sharkwerks exhaust is one issue and the over-rev is "potentially" another.

The technician seems to have suggested the exhaust may have lead to the over-rev. It didn't because the over-rev was some 10k miles before the exhaust was fitted.

The latest reply is still a bit confusing to me too. I said I'd revert the car to standard again and asked what would happen next.

They've said:

We will be more than happy to look into the issues that you are having. I would first suggest swapping the exhaust back to standard and try that. We cannot deem anything modified as warranty. Also, if we find that there has been a remap previous to you purchasing the vehicle, this has warranty implications, too. We have spoken to Porsche regarding your GT3 and this is what has been advised.

The over-rev is on the vehicle analysis log for the history of the vehicle. There may be still coverage in terms of warranty, but extra checks have to be carried out before Porsche will agree to warranty.

Quite why they are suggesting there was a remap before I bought it I've no idea as it was me that put the exhaust on recently and they've had clear details on this.

Not impressed.

I dont see that as entirely unreasonable tbh. Certainly at this stage.

The over rev is a non issue for the reasons you state. They are just hedging and not making any promises they can't keep later on. The remap is a bit of a naive comment but again just getting it writen down in case thats an issue later, you are a modder after all :floor:

It just depends what the issue actually is before you know if its going to be covered, seemingly..

I say this as someone who's had some horror story experiences with Porsche and warranty, this dealer too.

Not impressed but what are you expecting? They just take your modded car in, sort it all out regardless and give it back? Not going to happen really..

Personally, I don't like what they've said on a variety of issues. I've told them when the exhaust went on and at what mileage. Yet they still bleat on about over-revs and remapping even prior to my ownership.

I get that given the exhaust that a warranty claim was always a gamble on anything engine related. If the exhaust has caused the fuelling to be out and plugs/leads to be fouled then I'll happily pay for it.

It's the way they've dealt with it. They know Mrs DC has a 997 C2S too and that I was looking to build a relationship with them after using Brooklands previously. Doesn't count for much these days though does it, a bit like the rose tinted days when my bank manager always looked after me

:thumb:

Yes, can relate. Its the uber defensive stance they take. I thinks it's because they don't actually call the shots on warranty work. So very nervous of getting it wrong and being left with the bill! :eek:

TBH the I think OP is on a bit of a sticky wicket. Once you submit a car to an OPC with a relatively major mod (Sharkwerks Exhaust) then the cat is out of the bag.

That particular vehicle will now be logged on the OPC network as being modified, and now tainted.

Anyway as a final point - The Porsche after warranty makes it very very clear that any non Porsche part validates the warranty - full stop! So why take a modified car into the OPC and expect any warranty work to be carried out.

Gaxor said:
So why take a modified car into the OPC and expect any warranty work to be carried out.

To be fair it went in for an MoT and whilst there I mentioned it. The technician said he'd come out in it and agreed there was a problem so it was kept in.

Trivial I know but the salesman I bought it from and the staff at Brooklands all said that an exhaust shouldn't be a problem as they have quite a few customers with similar. I do appreciate that if the fault is related to the mod then that changes things and that 'may' be what has happened here.

As I said, I'll put it back to standard now and see what happens. Much of my issue is about the tone of their contact regarding the over-rev and possible remap, both of which would be long before my purchase (I doubt there was a remap personally).

To add, I've done similar with an exhaust modded BMW M3 I used to own, no warranty issues there and that was a fuelling issue which turned out to be an injector fault.

DC

TheGT3ofDC said:
They've said:

We will be more than happy to look into the issues that you are having. I would first suggest swapping the exhaust back to standard and try that. We cannot deem anything modified as warranty. Also, if we find that there has been a remap previous to you purchasing the vehicle, this has warranty implications, too. We have spoken to Porsche regarding your GT3 and this is what has been advised.

The over-rev is on the vehicle analysis log for the history of the vehicle. There may be still coverage in terms of warranty, but extra checks have to be carried out before Porsche will agree to warranty.

Quite why they are suggesting there was a remap before I bought it I've no idea as it was me that put the exhaust on recently and they've had clear details on this.

Probably suggested as an exhaust upgrade and remap are often done at the same time.

However, if the over-rev was flagged, then the OPC should also have the DME data from the 111-point check, etc. that was carried out prior to your purchase, which SHOULD have highlighted a remap although from experience, this can be little more than a box-ticking exercise. If you do find your car has been remapped before your purchase, that is a whole different conversation..

Your best option would have been to swap the exhaust before you went anywhere near the OPC, but at least they seem to be willing to look at the fault if returned to standard. However, they haven't done themselves any favours in their handling of the situation.

I did some digging on the rev ranges as i thought it was 1-6 as usual .. found this ..

Rev range 1: 9,000 -1 ... to 9,200 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.

Rev range 2: 9,200 -1 ... to 9,500 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed clearly exceeded; engine damage probable.

Rev range 3: over 9,500 -1
⇒ Engine damage has generally occurred.

Just by way of an update, the car went in for an Intermediate Service (at a different dealer) and I asked to have the plugs changed too.

The slight splutter at 1500rpm has now gone and the throttle response seems much better too. Clearly the plugs were past their best.

I'm still rocking the Sharkwerks exhaust for the moment but will revert back to standard after a Euro road trip this month.

TheGT3ofDC said:
Just by way of an update, the car went in for an Intermediate Service (at a different dealer) and I asked to have the plugs changed too.

The slight splutter at 1500rpm has now gone and the throttle response seems much better too. Clearly the plugs were past their best.

I'm still rocking the Sharkwerks exhaust for the moment but will revert back to standard after a Euro road trip this month.

Did you ever following this back up with Brooklands ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back