Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Camel's Porsche 993 Targa Project

Incredible work Trev - have just read the whole thread :worship: I had no idea that machinery like the car-o-liner existed - amazing pictures, amazing story!

Thanks guys, glad you enjoy the story so far, long way to go yet but it should start coming together soon.

Colin did my Mitsubishi Shogun 4 Work which I bought with a smashed in front end, did a great job on that and I've been using that for the last three years and serves as my work horse for parts runs, tip runs and often as my daily commuter if the mrs has the Range.

His usual work is on top end sports cars, repairing Lambo's, Bentley's, Fezza's etc which have real damage so this is nothing to him. He's a real enthusiast of his trade, and it comes across when you talk to him. The tools he has are just amazing.

Colin's really enjoying working on the 993, says the build quality is amazing and very rust free for a 20yr old beast.

I'm going to pick up two new check straps from Porsche Bolton tomorrow lunch so will pop in and see the work in the flesh

Just wait to you see his welds :)

Trev

Loving your thread, will be interested in the door straps tomorrow, as I need mine done too.

Thread just gets better. Thanks.

Thank you for taking the time to shoot and post, very interesting

Ok chaps, hope you don't mind picture overload:

This was inside O/S rear quarter, great protection applied at the factory which we've looked to replicate where we can:

Inside the new quarter which has been primed and seam sealed in the appropriate areas, including right down to the sill, all done prior to fitting to ensure access:

Method used here was to use a brush initially and then a spreader with a course sponge attached to get the correct texture.

And again:

Tops of the inner wings were dirty but also showing some small rust spots which needed to be remediated correctly:

O/S not as bad:

Down to bare metal:

Now upper inner wings treated with this 2k high build primer brushed on nice and thick.

Rear quarters are being spot welded on today, Colin asked which pattern I would like, his regular or follow Porsche?, i said to follow the Porsche pattern although it doesn't really matter as the roof sits here and hides all welds. It's inside the rear engine compartment where the visible welds are :)

Will post pics of the welds v.soon.

Trev

Right chaps a few more updates......

Prepped with black panel bond ready for new quarter, have to be quick as the bond goes off.

Rear quarter fitted and sill now ready for welding, decided to go with mig welding in the end for strength.

Trying a few test spots:

Sill now welded and prepared:

Quarter spot welded and panel bonded along top edge following the original pattern of spots:

Along the door seam here was tricky due to a small lip on the rear:

Along the engine bay aperture is very important as it can be seen when opening the engine lid, Porsche pattern and precise copy of original weld made here:

Just some of the equipment used, never underestimate what investment it takes to perform works on a car if you're going to do it right:

Rear quarter now in place, you can see the seam of black panel bond from within the wheel arch, this will be cleaned up a little and another line of dealer applied to keep out any nasties:

Engine aperture now with both rear quarters fitted:

OK so whilst the car was at the bodyshop it was time to fix the check strap arresters. Mine was making the dreaded clicking sound on both sides which just wouldn't do.

Anybody who's looked into this will know there's a few ways to do the job,

1) Quick blob of weld on the outside to hopefully hold it
2) Cut window into the A post and re-weld the joints properly
3) Install new Porsche A post which have modified welds and additional strength so I believe?.

I've opted for option 2 as it seems somewhat less intrusive than replacing the full pillar.

We can see the state of the welds here on the A post, not good:

After a cleanup:

Whole section required cutting out:

New steel sections making for both sides:

Section offered up with two holes for the weld:

And primed:

Ready for welding:

Welded and made good, now just needs some primer before going to the paint shop:

Lots of work but the job needs doing right.

Trev

Fab thread Trev, really enjoying the detail and the many pics..
Rgds
Barney.

Folks, not updated for a while so thought I'd bring you up to speed.

I've finally got the car back from paint, as some of you know already I decided to go with a colour change, well partial, from Ocean Blue to Mexico Blue.

Glad to have the car back and progress is now in my hands :)

Being loaded at paintshop
bdDBTD8.jpg

Unloading my end:
mecJGD0.jpg

Finally in place:
qjN5Bpt.jpg

Had the hardbacks sprayed to match body
kZqWIHN.jpg

Rebuilding begins
VS2ETMS.jpg

dxyb69C.jpg

Engine bay starting to come together
vt5cSJB.jpg

New engine pad and engine bay seal, fuel filter...
D1YDidu.jpg

Powder coated bumper supports and rear quarter supports
zXuU7SW.jpg

I really like the 993 door handles :)
ycYohz7.jpg

I shall post updates as they come...

Trev

Great job mate! :salut:

Looking the dogs dodahs Trev :thumb:

ATB :)

Re: targa

stichill99 said:
Great opportunity to go for a colour change. Looks the Bee's Knee's :D

What a colour change! Ill be honest I don't get dark blue, but mexico blue :worship: :worship: wow.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back