Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 GT3 - Invalid warranty claim & over rev

TheGT3ofDC

Afternoon chaps,

My 2014 991 GT3 went into the main dealer with a slight stutter at about 1500 rpm.

The car has been running an after market Sharkwerks bypass exhaust for about a year.

The technician has stated: the Non-genuine exhaust voids vehicle warranty. VAL shows vehicle has been over revved into range 2 and as per bulletin it states maximum engine speed permitted clearly exceeded. Due to the modification to the exhaust this could be the reason the engine has been able to over rev. The non genuine exhaust can cause back pressure issues inside the exhaust and cause misfueling/spark issues due to incorrect info being supplied by the O2 sensors etc.

OK, I appreciate the exhaust mod may change back pressure and presume it could have caused the plugs to have issues (which is what it feels like). I'll get it put back to standard and get the plugs changed and see what it's like.

The over-rev was done a year before I bought it through a Porsche main dealer. There was no mention of the over-rev at the time I wonder if it is normal for a dealer to offer a 2 year warranty on a car that they knew had been over revved?

Happy to hear thoughts on any of the above.

:thumb:

Some good info here

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

911 Virgin said:
"Until a few years ago ignitions recorded in ranges 3 and 4 were considered by the Manufacturer to be safe with such vehicles still eligible for Porsche Extended warranty. Ignitions recorded in Ranges 5 and 6 would not be considered for warranty with existing policies invalidated at the point of over rev. Current Porsche warranty procedure ( as of 2017) considers activity in ranges 3 and 4 to be potentially problematic with compression tests and / or oil checks deemed necessary irrespective of whether or not incursions occurred several hundred operating hours prior to the check."

So excursions into RR2 aren't enough to prevent Porsche from providing the 2 year warranty on the car

Cheers
Mark

Which dealer is the car at ?

Rev Range 2 is fine for a 991GT3

The excuse makes me wonder if the technician was Miss Marple?

911UK said:

Porsche Mid Sussex in Burgess Hill.

spiderlane said:
So excursions into RR2 aren't enough to prevent Porsche from providing the 2 year warranty on the car Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark, that puts my mind at rest somewhat, especially with 911UK's statement above.

TheGT3ofDC said:
911UK said:

Porsche Mid Sussex in Burgess Hill.

For a 'respected' OPC to come up with such an excuse for refusing work is inexcusable.

Speak to Dean on the Service Desk and if he's willing to stick his reputation by that explanation then it should be a matter for Porsche GB.

That's Porsche for you.

On my 997 GT3 the ABS module wouldn't cycle on one circuit. Porsche said that Castrol SRF brake fluid is not approved and broke the ABS module!!!!!!!!!!

Had to take this all the way to the top and they only paid 50%!

How do you over rev a pdk anyway?

Their report is a warranty claim avoider, simple as. But what exactly are they trying to avoid paying for? New plugs?

I was pondering the issue of non-genuine zorsts on 991 GT3s, purely because a few are up for sale with them right now (including a car that looks very much like Mr JWW's) various places.

I had heard that a non-genuine part could invalidate warranty.

If it's true that the over-rev happened before the Sharkwerks was installed, then I'd revert to stock - just to stop the whinging - and then take it back...

PS I have a warranty with the H&S cross pipes on my car... [/b]

jotaking said:
Senoj said:
How do you over rev a pdk anyway??

Agree, thought this was impossible on a PDK?

Nope, I know you can hit the limiter so guess you can go further than that. I do remember somebody at the Ring suggesting it was easier to do on an accidental downshift but I haven't wanted to try it :nooo:

I've said I'll make it stock and see where we go. I have asked where I go from here and await their reply.

jotaking said:
Senoj said:
How do you over rev a pdk anyway??

Agree, thought this was impossible on a PDK?

If the driven wheels momentarily lose contact with the road (such as going over a rise) and the engine is at max rpm in whatever gear, then there has to be a chance of over-revs as the tractive force will have been lost.

I think they're tightening their braces across all of the OPC's.

It is very very frustrating for anyone whom receives a knock back for non genuine parts to be fitted.

I have a great relationship with several OPC's on first name basis & I would say over the past year especially it's been recited to me several times 'do not do anything to your car which isn't Porsche Approved or a Tequipment'.

Even if it improves the car don't do it, keep the Moll battery, don't stray from N rated tyres.

I guess it is their Insurance policy. Otherwise it'd be buying Porsche Insurance and the buyer telling Porsche what the policy is.

I asked Leicester middle of last year about changing to a harder compound tyres for a trip through France. The toll roads are straight, boring and chew tyres and there's no requirement for sport tyres. Sense would suggest it would be the right application to use a harder compound. Oh no, not Porsche, it could potentially destroy the PDK or put more pressure on the suspension.

So I totally get where anyone with frustration is coming from. It's not compulsory to have Porsche Warranty, but unfortunately it's their game and their rules.

MNC911 said:
So I totally get where anyone with frustration is coming from. It's not compulsory to have Porsche Warranty, but unfortunately it's their game and their rules.

100% agree - they really have got all the bases covered in their favour, and in most cases I can understand that there are technical/engineering reasons for doing so.

But the one that really gets my goat is N-rated tyres. On a 991, the choice of N-rated tyres is tragically poor (only Pirelli). No N-rated tyres, no warranty. So how come if you go to the PEC at Silverstone, that a surprising number of cars do not have N-rated rubber. :?: Hypocrisy indeed! :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back