Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo Owners. Where would you go from here?

Jay. said:
I'm seriously considering trading in for a Gen 2/3 Viper, it's always been a dream car and I do miss having a more 'raw' car..

also, would love to hear any opinions on the Viper!

Viper. I'd love one. I'm a bit of a fan so I'll tell you what i know!

You want a mk2 pre 2002 as they have forged internals. 2002+ have hypereutectic pistons which are lighter and give more power standard, but won't take much boost.

A good cam, borler headers and some headwork will easily see around 600hp, all motor. Just changing the air inlet tubes to straight hose instead of the convuluted gives good gains. Lots of charger kits with Paxton seeming to give most bang for the buck. Those engines can take some serious HP. Charging them is the way to go IMO.

GTS for me. Was a cracking one on car and classics with a le mans wing that looked amazing.

Don't listen to anyone who says they dont handle, they have a racing pedigree and multiple le-mans titles in the cabinet as well as ring lap records under their belt.

I'd love one. Would have bought one but they don't sell easily and i wanted a car i could liquidate quickly if i needed too.

e8_pack said:
Viper. I'd love one. I'm a bit of a fan so I'll tell you what i know!

You want a mk2 pre 2002 as they have forged internals. 2002+ have hypereutectic pistons which are lighter and give more power standard, but won't take much boost.

A good cam, borler headers and some headwork will easily see around 600hp, all motor. Just changing the air inlet tubes to straight hose instead of the convuluted gives good gains. Lots of charger kits with Paxton seeming to give most bang for the buck. Those engines can take some serious HP. Charging them is the way to go IMO.

GTS for me. Was a cracking one on car and classics with a le mans wing that looked amazing.

Don't listen to anyone who says they dont handle, they have a racing pedigree and multiple le-mans titles in the cabinet as well as ring lap records under their belt.

I'd love one. Would have bought one but they don't sell easily and i wanted a car i could liquidate quickly if i needed too.

I went and viewed a lovely '97 GTS in blue and white today and it was incredible. Unfortunately a bit too incredible.. Way too much to drive anywhere 'normal' like the supermarket or your mates house... I'm glad I got to see it, it's definitely something I'll buy one day, but not as a 1st or 2nd car... More likely a 3rd or 4th..

plynchy said:
I keep drifting back to E90 M3's.

Loved my E46 and it was so exploitable compared to the Turbo. Never owned a V8, and feel that I must at some point.

Barely driven the Turbo over the last few months, maybe once I do I'll stop being so ridiculous. :?:

I traded down from my manual 996tt to an e90 m3 before Christmas having toiled over the decision and trying many alternatives over the past year (a few threads on here if interested).

I dreaded the potential for regret before I did it - the turbo was a magnificent car to look at, own, and drive. But it needed high speeds to be fun, and the m3 is much much more fun at all but 10 tenths.

I'll be back in a 911 sometime - but it will have be a special one - I found the base models and S variants underwhelming in contrast to the turbo.

But for now the m3 is a great opposite experience ( NA, great noise, rwd) vs the turbo that I'm really enjoying. The fact it doesn't look anywhere near as special on the drive was a downer for a month - but the specialness behind the wheel and in the ear has more than made up for that. Add in the fact it was half the sale price of the turbo and has left me with good funds to consider the next car and it feels good. The values are quite stable too fingers crossed.

Hope that's of some interest and help.
All the options in this thread are awesome, lucky us!

Just bought a 65 plate F10 M5 with competition pack.... 575bhp out of the box, DCT transmission, rear drive.... awesome fun, totally refined, but a polar opposite driving experience to a 911. Hopefully both will remain in my grubby mitts for a long time!

911 is a hard habit to break :grin:

RWD_cossie_wil said:
Just bought a 65 plate F10 M5 with competition pack.... 575bhp out of the box, DCT transmission, rear drive.... awesome fun, totally refined, but a polar opposite driving experience to a 911. Hopefully both will remain in my grubby mitts for a long time!

You decided then! Was contemplating an M5, one of the only fight performance models with a tow capacity. Did you try anything else before you went for an M5?

:dont know: :dont know: :dont know:

e8_pack said:
RWD_cossie_wil said:

You decided then! Was contemplating an M5, one of the only fight performance models with a tow capacity. Did you try anything else before you went for an M5?

No, been hankering after an M5 since I had my E39 530d... the 5 series is such a good car anyway, I thought the M would be the natural step forwards.... E39 M5 is beautiful but a bit old for a daily? The E60 M5 sounded awesome, but wasn't that quick, stupid on fuel & the gearbox/clutch reportedly very fragile & a pain in town/ stop-start traffic. F10 M5 seemed to have it all covered, decent MPG, great DCT box (auto for daily is a must, manual for fun!) had it 3 weeks now, love it already.

Not a fan of Mercs, Audi is ok but was after rear drive, nothing else really ticked all the boxes, Panemera might have been an option but they really are fugly!

Lordjimimac said:
plynchy said:
I keep drifting back to E90 M3's.

Loved my E46 and it was so exploitable compared to the Turbo. Never owned a V8, and feel that I must at some point.

Barely driven the Turbo over the last few months, maybe once I do I'll stop being so ridiculous. :?:

I traded down from my manual 996tt to an e90 m3 before Christmas having toiled over the decision and trying many alternatives over the past year (a few threads on here if interested).

I dreaded the potential for regret before I did it - the turbo was a magnificent car to look at, own, and drive. But it needed high speeds to be fun, and the m3 is much much more fun at all but 10 tenths.

I'll be back in a 911 sometime - but it will have be a special one - I found the base models and S variants underwhelming in contrast to the turbo.

But for now the m3 is a great opposite experience ( NA, great noise, rwd) vs the turbo that I'm really enjoying. The fact it doesn't look anywhere near as special on the drive was a downer for a month - but the specialness behind the wheel and in the ear has more than made up for that. Add in the fact it was half the sale price of the turbo and has left me with good funds to consider the next car and it feels good. The values are quite stable too fingers crossed.

Hope that's of some interest and help.
All the options in this thread are awesome, lucky us!

Interesting reply, thanks.

That's done absolutely nothing to alleviate my curiosity though :floor:

Covered around 700 miles in the turbo over the last 2 months, really enjoying it at the moment (the Carnewal exhaust helps :D ) but I'm approaching a tipping point for mileage in my mind (73k), much more than that and it will rule out a lot of the potential market for it. So keep it and just keep clocking them up, or prep it for sale next year?

Plenty of questions to mull over whilst stuck in the sea. :?

Greg66 said:
Elise 111r or an Exige of some flavour.

Thread resurrection. I've come back to here, and Porsche, after a while away, and was thumbing through old posts.

My progression in fact didn't head towards Lotus. Instead it was:

996 TT cab tip -> Audi S8 V10 -> AM V12 Vantage S.

The S8 was for the engine, and because I wanted something a bit more refined after 996TT ownership.

For a while alongside the AM I ran a Golf R mk 7 (ugh - don't) as a daily, then a Panny 970 4S and now a 981 GT4.

The combination of the AM and the GT4 is impractical, extravagant and a little bit boorish. But I love them both, so...

I think thats the thing with the turbo. Its both a GT and can handle the odd track day. Two cars in one. True of any 911 really but never as good as having two cars like the Aston and GT4 - v.cool garage :thumbs:

My next car will be a Lotus Emira.
It looks fantastic and will be more of a gt car than their current line up...
I Will sort my 996TT out for sale when I get further info about timings for the Lotus.

Attachments

• fe9be4c4_1177_469b_b51a_98312b4ae7c4_192.jpeg
    fe9be4c4_1177_469b_b51a_98312b4ae7c4_192.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 918

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back