Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

rust on engine lid

smj043

Trainee
HI,

My 1999 C4 Cab has developed rust bubbles on the engine lid. see pics.

any advice on a DIY fix or professional fix?

thanks
Simon

Attachments

• 236_118.jpg
    236_118.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 4,632
  • 239_571.jpg
    239_571.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 4,632
  • 240_115.jpg
    240_115.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 4,632
Apparently there is still a recall with Porsche for this so you could get it repaired for free by an OPC.

This came out at the technical seminar at PCGB a couple weeks ago.

Interesting! Mine has very very light bubbling there, didn't know about the recall. How do you establish if your car is included?

I think if you email or get in touch with your local OPC, give them your ref and VIN number they should be able to tell you.

Would be interesting to know if you have any luck with this...I only take a small commission :)

OPC says no

So a quick reply from byfleet via email as follows:

The long life body guarantee for the vehicle lasts for 10 years and expired on 06/07/2009. There was a previously issued campaign for this vehicle for inspecting and treating the engine compartment lid for corrosion but this has already been completed.

Any issues that you are having with corrosion on the lid would need to be addressed at your own cost through a body repair centre, due to both the campaign already being completed and the 10 year guarantee on the body shell having expired.

Talked on phone to OPC Hatfield who had less information my car has had all its recalls but specifically this one was not mentioned by Hatfield.

So back to the original question of any advice on a DIY fix or professional fix in St Albans area?

Many thanks
Simon

I would want to know what the OE recall repair involved... was it a change in design etc, if so I would want to duplicate it, maybe buy a newer replacement lid from a breakers.

About 12 months ago I booked my car (996 3.4) in to Porsche Newcatle for some diagnostic work. They notified me that my car was subject to an 'open recall' in respect of the rear engine cover. This work was fully warranted (even though my car is a 2000 year). A couple of weeks later they parts arrived, were painted and fitted perfectly.

Give your local OPC a call or pop in and seek their advice.

Good luck

the thing is I did email one OPC at Byfleet as per the forum suggests about recalls and suchlike and I also called Hatfield OPC who didn't find that recall as outstanding. OPC Byfleet said it has been checked for this problem but no work needed at the time.

"There was a previously issued campaign for this vehicle for inspecting and treating the engine compartment lid for corrosion but this has already been completed. "

So how do some get it done and others do not? I suspect if you had it checked at the time and no damage was present then its a closed issue. But if you never had it checked, and do now, then they might cover it and do that work. Seems logical if unfair.

any thoughts?

Sounds like a call to OPC Newcastle is in order... if they say its an open recall then that will give you leverage on your local lot.

If not it might even be worth a trip up North.

engine lid

Hi,

Would a 996 Targa engine lid be the same as a 996 cabrio lid? They seems very much the same in photos. I'm down for a new/old lid replacement to sort out the rust problem on my engine lid.

Thanks

The parts list will tell you - I would suspect that it is the same.

smj043 said:
HI,

My 1999 C4 Cab has developed rust bubbles on the engine lid. see pics.

any advice on a DIY fix or professional fix?

thanks
Simon

Hi Simon. My 1998 has exactly the same problem, but not as advanced. i'm interested to know if you've gone any further in getting it sorted?

chris

Mine is also starting to bubble at the seam. I took it to a bodyshop and they said it's not worth fixing, as getting all the rust out from between the sandwitches panels is almost impossible. I've srayed the inside of mine with waxoil last summer and so far it has not gotten any worse. I only drive in the summer, so I think I won't do anything to it before it eventually becomes visible from the outside, and then it's time for a new lid.

engine lid

I've not done anything yet but a bit of research on the part number which is 99651201101GRV, i guess plan is find one from a breakers and have it sprayed. back PU needs spraying as well so do all at once.

Attachments

• captusre_247.jpg
    captusre_247.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,008
engine lid

finally got a lid from Douglas Valley Breakers £425 in great condition same colour Ocean Blue. Had the bumper sprayed and all is now well -only need a matt silver C4 badge now.

Attachments

• rear_pork_158.jpeg
    rear_pork_158.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 1,241

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back