Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water Temp rising steadily

shaunpr

Monza
Hi All

Always the way, bank holiday weekend coming up, trip away planned and want to take the Porsche and I notice on the way to work when stopped at a roundabout that the temperature was sitting a bit higher than normal.

It had crept to the 85 deg mark where it would normally sit and a rock solid 80. Turned the climate control to max heat and it was not very warm.

Decided to turn back as only 5 minutes from home and it continued to creep up.

Got home had a look and the pressure relief was in the up position. From what I have read this is normal when the car is hot. Coolant expansion tank was fine so no loss of water.

So sanity check I assume this is one of two things

1. Failed thermostat.
2. Water pump.

As I felt a bit of warm air through the vents I believe it is more likely to be the thermostat?

Thoughts and opinions as I can get a lower temp thermostat kit and fit that? Or should I bite the bullet and do the water pump at the same time as I think you need to drain the coolant for both jobs.

Await the great power of the 911 forum to let me know.

Sounds like the fans are not kicking in. Failed resistor?

Mike

That is the first thing I would check, with aircon on you should have both the front fans running whatever the coolant temperature. If these have both failed then the coolant temperature will creep up when the car is not moving as there is no air over the radiators.

MC

My fans work, car routinely sees 85 degrees (maybe more) in stop start traffic, mentioned this to Precision who said it was fine.

Sounds very much like a thermostat to me given the issue with the heaters.

Doesnt sound like anything more sinister.

I would of thought that I would of got the heat in the car if the fans where the issue.

Felt like thermostat had not opened to get water to the front rads in the first instance.

As its a coolant out job anything else I should do at the same time?

Temp rising when stationary usually implies the radiators not cooling but working when the airflow is higher. Usual causes would be fan not working or radiators blocked/failed. If you haven't done it recently, I would take off the front bumper and clean out the rads. Easy to do and they can get VERY blocked up.

If it were the thermostat, the temp would rise with the car moving as well as when stationary and I would expect it to continue to rise until the car boiled.

Mike

Sorry, perhaps I did not explain myself very well.

This is my daily driver so I left home for work, got five minutes out and was queuing for a roundabout when I noticed the temp was not right.

So I did a 360 at the roundabout and went home with the temperature still climbing.

This was after checking the max temp through the vents in the car which felt luke warm.

Got home and the temperature had risen to 100 deg. Expansion tank was fine, the thing you pull to burp the car was raised but have noted that's normal.

This is what mine does:

5Fdxhbrj.png

That's interesting mine always stays at a static 81 deg where you have the open road mark.

The behaviour it displayed today is totally different and it just kept going up and up I did wonder if I would make it home.

As it crept past the 100 mark towards 120. Not stuck in traffic this was on the open road.

Drove it yesterday and had none of this.

Going with the thermostat as I can test that in a jug of boiling water to see if it opens. Need to pull the front bumper anyway to replace the aircon rads. So will find out about that at the same time.

If not it will be water pump as well.

A couple of figures for you ..

Fan speed 1 will come on with the a/c or when the engine temp reaches 96.75 degrees C

Fan speed 2 will come on when engine temp is at or higher than 102 degrees C .

The gap between the a/c condensor and radiators can often block with debris and small deveations in temp riseing may well be down to this.

Low temp thermostate will do what it says and allow water to circulate through the rads at a lower temperature than standard which i think is somewhere around the 90 degree mark .

Fans will cut in as above which ever thermostste you have fitted though .

ref - 996 service info 2 - 22 .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back