Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

So Jamie reported the following -

No plate light inop.

Sorted when I got home. It actually turned out that the connectors were a little bit green so a clean with emery cloth and WD40 had them working again. I fitted the new bulbs anyway.

AC inop, suspect condensers leaking.

Couldn't tell when I bought it as it was February in Scotland so the air was freezing anyway. I'll fit the new condensers soon then Jamie can re-gas it when it's at his.

Os cooling fan resistor inop.

Bought a pair, but not fitted yet. I went for the after market ones, which were £8 per pair rather than £130 for Porsche items.

Oil leak from IMS RMS area.

Doesn't drop any oil onto the floor but J had undertrays off and spotted it. No biggie, as I can't relax with the car until I have the IMS bearing inspected and seal flipped open, so the above will be addressed then. I'll have the RMS done and a new IMSB cover fitted too.
I've just sourced a Sachs clutch kit last week, in preparation. My current clutch and flywheel have only covered 20k but the clutches don't like being removed and refitted.

Both centre to rear brake pipes corroded.

Same as above. Easy to do when gearbox is out.

Throttle cable (front section) corroded in junction.

It works perfectly but water has got into the junction box and rusted the cable-end causing it to swell.
The front section of throttle cable is only available with the complete pedal assembly from Porsche so I've just sourced a used one with a perfect cable so will use that and whichever pedal is best.

Rear anti roll bar and bushes showing signs of wear and rear coffin arm bushes beginning to perish.

Planning on doing a full overhaul next winter, including a brand new m030 kit so it only has to last this summer. It drives great so I'm not too concerned.

Engine mounts worn.

I was in Florida for Xmas so bought some from Pelican parts. Will fit soon as I'll have my rear bumper and back boxes off again, which aids access.

I paid £275 for 4, vs £432 they would cost from Design911 or similar.

Various coolant hose clips corroded, advise replace at same time as ns radiator, waterpump and thermostat as discussed.

I have low temp thermostat which Jamie will fit with water pump. I'll replace both rads and condensers before I go down though and do both resistors while I'm on.

Rear brake discs corroded on inner faces.

I have a brand new pair of new front discs (even though these aren't needed yet) so will be sourcing a pair of rears soon. I'll probably wait until next years suspension overhaul to fit them all unless the current rears get really bad.

Front rain drains require cleaning out.

I'll do this soon. Easy enough.

So quite a bit to be getting on with but no horror stories. In fact it's all the typical 996 stuff really, now they're at that age.
This list should all be ticked off by May/June when the car comes back from Jamie's.
Well, all except the suspension work and rear discs, which I'll gather the parts for throughtout the year, as there's no urgency and I'd prefer to wait then blitz the lot, rather than replace failing components in dribs and drabs.

Anyway, all boring stuff that affects most of us but the fun stuff will come eventually.

Cheers. :thumb:

When I got the car out a few weeks ago after its winter lay up, the mileage display in my clocks wasn't working. Some of that pesky creepy condensation Les is always on about on here, must have gotten in. :grin:

A quick google took me onto a thread about mk2 clocks which can't be sorted so easily, but after a few seconds panic I found out that the mk1s use a traditional style bulb for the backlights unlike the mk2s.
I was that relieved that it was an easy fix I just ordered the bulb from my local dealer without doing my usual Porsche tax avoidance checks.
So £7 later I had this. £7!

You can get 10 for £10 on eBay.
Anyway it was fixed and £7 was is still a bargain compared to mk2 clock repairs.

I also noticed how grubby my mats had become.

So I chucked them in the washing machine.
Better but not perfect.

I'd been keeping an eye out for some black ones since I bought the car but thought I'd have a proper look now. These popped up on gumtree.
New and unused.
£80 delivered.
(Sellers pic)

I also swapped out my CD drawers for the extra cubby hole.

Before -

After -

I'll be doing the console delete eventually but that's better for now.

Wow you have got lots to do! Wish I had your patients, I'd want it all done by Monday!

Keep up the good work :thumb:

Evenin' Ian, hope you're well!

I'm chomping at the bit to get stuck in but I'm having a big push on my front garden etc in time for spring and the er, <sigh> mother in law coming to stay.

At the minute I just try and get an hour here and there on the car when my lass is in the bath or watching TV.

Another month and it'll be full steam ahead.

I know you couldn't resist fiddling, especially if you had a pile of parts sitting in the garage.
I'm quite envious of how much tinkering you get to do. :thumb:

Don't think black mats fit in a car with grey interior, total different set up...

I'll give you £20 for them and not a penny more !!! :thumb:

Oh, and you can drop them off on your way to work tomorrow too :bye:

Yeah yeah. :)

I'll swap you for those old nomex Recaros. Just to get them out your way.

Nice write up so far Marky, looking forward to seeing further progress when you pull yer finger out matey.

Aye up Ed! Long long time no speak.
Are you still doing as much Porsche stuff these days?
I hope all is well at your end anyway. Good to see you're still about. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Aye up Ed! Long long time no speak.
Are you still doing as much Porsche stuff these days?
I hope all is well at your end anyway. Good to see you're still about. :thumb:

Hi Mate
Had a bit of a break and bought a lovely 3 door 87 Sierra RS Cosworth, bit of a bucket list car, had it about 6 months.
Sold it at the weekend and now looking at getting back into the Porsche fold.
Thought i'd done them to death after 12!! but the buggers get under your skin as you know.
Going to spend about £30k max, so might end up with a leggy 6T.
I am interested in a C2 at Revolution Porsche with all the GT3 bits and have sent the bloke selling it a couple of messages but he hasn't got back to me as yet. Anyway looking forward to reading your blog buddy :bye:

I keep waiting for the update about having the Aerokit fitted. Can you hurry up please :D

Crimpy
The Cosworth sounds nice. Me and mates had loads of RS Turbos and Cosworths back in the day. I never owned a 3dr mind. I had a magenta Sapphire. My mate Paul had a moonstone blue 3dr and mate Ralf had a mint white 3dr. He'd have sold it to me for £6k! at one point but I bought a Ducati 748 instead. I still love the old Fords.

I've just seen your thread and I recognise that 996. I'm sure I commented on it in the past. It looks stunning and to do the wheels, tyres and Aerokit would cost over £5k easily. It looks well sorted. Get it borescoped and go have a look. It's right up your street that, well sorted and a little bit better than the norm.
Good luck with the search either way. :thumb:

Y2K
You're about 12 months too early for the Aerokit instalment. :grin:
This year is all about getting it mechanically sound so I have a good base to start from.
I'd love to be at your stage, road trips and general stuff. :thumb:

Going to be off on the sick for a few weeks from Thursday so may get some small jobs done, although I won't be able to kneel down so we'll see. I do need to pull my finger out though. :wink:
Anyway thanks for reading, I appreciate the interest. Your thread must be due an update soon eh.

Look forward reading the next stage :thumb:

I was going to book some track days for April but the car has a blowing exhaust, so have just been collecting parts for service & repair in June. Couple of road trips planned though already so should be a good summer!

Sounds good.
June is the month I'm aiming for too, for my Indys work. Looking at about £1000 and that's with me getting the parts.

We are all doing the NC500 in May. 6 or 7 911s. I'm just jumping in Craig's car on here.

Summers almost here. That's the main thing. :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing more updates nice read so far thanks for sharing, nice to get tips from your thread it seems you have lots of knowledge and me having the same model il be taking on some of the jobs you are tackling with yours, :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back