Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

944S 2.5 16v resto then track project

alex yates said:
:worship: :worship:

Good stuff mate!

Will be good to see how it performs now. Hopefully back to standard or better. A mate at work used to own a black 944S back in '96 and we used to go out every lunchtime down Blackburn. Used to belt it everywhere and it was a great car (0-60 in 6.5 I recall) with a nice 'performance' feel to it. I was 24 at the time & he around 21. Great times!!!

:thumb:

The pre 1988 NA cars had a kerb weight of just 1180kg(how advanced were porsche back then?) so yes they were nippy even with 170bhp.👍

If you strip them and add a basic cage and drivers seat you can get them down to close to 1000kg and make a fun track day car.

Congratulations Chris. Got there in the end sunshine, well done :thumb:

You could take a live from the passenger side dipped beam across the car to check that the headlight is working - or - and I have no idea of the wiring in a 944 - swap the l/h and r/h headlamp feeds over to check that the fault transfers from drivers to passenger side - that would help you trace where the fault is.

Congrats on getting it all back together though :D

I pulled the fuse box up yesterday to trace the wiring and eventually found the headlight issue.

37368675806_8a2790dc98_z.jpg

The break was inside the sheathing close to the headlight where it breaks out of the main wiring loom. If I'd started tracing from the headlight you can guarantee it would have been at the other end near the fuse box. :x

36745312953_4e62098d36_z.jpg

36745260063_63dafa6853_z.jpg

So now I've soldered the dipped beam wiring together and also repaired the white main beam wire that wasn't too far from failing too, the healight now work.

I also tried to solve the headlight raising and lowering problem but I'm stuck with this one. I've checked the motor and the wiring and all seems OK, I checked the relay and I'm getting 75 ohms (should be getting 65) but I'm not sure if this is the problem, I also stripped the motor and cleaned all the contacts. I'm just using the manual adjuster until I can have a think.

With all this work done I decided it was time to take it for an actually drive, which lasted three mile before it stalled and wouldn't start. :frustrated:

36706317734_4751da6461_z.jpg

After nearly flattening the battery trying to start it, it did eventually start and ran fine again. When I was on a long section of down hill road I dipped the clutch to see if it would idle but the engine cut out again, this time I bump started it on the move, I tried this again and it did the same again, again a bump start got it running again. When I got home I switched off and it wouldn't start on the key, it just constantly turns over.

I'm thinking fuel delivery, DME relay or vacuum problem, a bit more work to be done I think. I did notice one of the vacuum pipes on the J pipe after the air flow meter looked a bit ropey so this could be a problem but I would assume this would still let it start up?

EDIT, just been out and it fired up first time on the key so maybe it had cooled enough to fire up when it broke down earlier, strange problem?

I've stripped the induction system down and found a loose pipe coming off the J tube and a small crack in the same pipe, these are both after the Air Flow Meter are now fixed. I'd also mixed up a couple of vacuum pipes.

With all this done I took it for a spin and all is good once again, just got some slow running in miles to do now. :D

:thumbs:

Brilliant work Chris, absolutely top notch :thumb:

MC

Well done our Chris! I really chuffed for you :thumb:
Don't forget the passenger ride you promised me.....

The cutting out when hot points to a DME relay fault - a 3 wire temporary jumper cable is easy to make, Clark's Garage website will tell you where to plug it in.

I bought some solid-state DME relays when in the states last year, they have a fuel pump prime option too. Clever stuff.

I picked up a DME relay at the time I was diagnosing the running fault and I have put it in the fuse box as a spare should I ever need it.

I've managed put a few miles on the engine so far and have around another 150 to do which I hope to do this weekend. Porsche recommend 600 miles to run a new engine in so I may stretch it out to 600 to be on the safe side, although its killing me keeping the revs down.

I had taken it over to Newark to gather some miles last weekend to an autojumble and found that my reserve light doesn't work any longer and I ran out of fuel on the A46, luckily I managed to roll to a layby, I'm getting too many pictures of it broken down for my liking.

36745257843_88bdcc8ca3_z.jpg

So now I need to get the fuel gauge working ASAP before it run over to Dinslaken/Nurburgring at the start of may, I will be carrying a fuel can with me until I get the gauge fixed. I think I may need a set of clocks as I've tried all the other fixes so far.

I also solved the headlight not raising/lowering issue, this was another wiring problem where I had to cut a piece out and solder a bit in, this all works again as it should.

I've managed to put the last few running miles on the new engine and have clocked 615 miles so I can now dump that oil and put some fresh in with a new filter. I'll give it a few more mile to loosen it up and then get it back on a dyno and get a compression check again to see where its at.

The last 220 plus miles I put on the car with a run up to BAC for a factory tour and see how they put the Mono together, that is some bit of kit and probably the nearest thing to a real race car on the road.

36745254933_a802388177_z.jpg

One of the guys who work on the cars had a nice S2 in the same colour as mine.

37158566410_d49c9527cf_z.jpg

Few more Mono pics here.
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1303900

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to tune my engine a little now to make the most of all the new engine parts, I'd better do some research?

This thread is back from the dead after Photo****** pulled the plug and it has taken me as long to restore this thread as it did to rebuild the engine so missed updating most of 2017.

The car has been busy most of the summer and I am currently trying to get to grips with a running issue again. I'll try to get it bang up to date over the next day or two.

It's been to Dinslaken, Nurburgring, Fast Car show and done the Goodwood charity track day along with a few little mods along the way and I've been really enjoying it.

Its first trip out was to the Dinslaken show on my way to the Nurburgring, it was brief stop for an hour to catch up with a few from here and then head off to Nurburg to catch up with others and I had the intention of taking out for its first TF Ring laps.

I'm not sure if this is it's first time abroad since it left the factory but I was hoping it would make this big run out and back OK since its engine rebuild?
37838095494_7e6cabd64b_z.jpg

When I got close to Germany it was raining quite bit and arriving at Dinslaken it hadn't got any better but this was my first time at the show and there were some great cars there and was worth dropping in.
37666739815_095bd354e0_z.jpg

I made it to Nurburg and we were staying at Sabine Schmitz's ranch for the night, she wasn't home though.
37838099974_694f56a3ff_z.jpg

I went over to spectate DN17 that was on all day and I was planning a run out in the 944 for the TF laps afterwards but as it was so wet I decided against it. I settled for a few pics around the area.

38539029812_da75591eec_z.jpg

38514215076_c4d4726261_z.jpg

Next up was the Fast Car Show at Donington Park where I had also booked some track time for the 944, this was the first time I had driven Donington even though I only live 10 minutes away, I do know it like the back of my hand though.

Also the first time I had taken both P cars out together.

38570430311_cdd29fff8f_z.jpg

And thanks to G2 for his snaps of it around Redgate.

38538783552_02b609b4ed_z.jpg

Goodwood Charity Track Day 2017.

:bye: to you too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back