Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox oil? - Manual with LSD

steve r

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a gearbox oil for a manual box with LSD (40 AE model)?

Mobil 1, Motul, Redline, or stick with Porsche branded fluid?

Thanks

Try giving Opie oils a ring? They're great for this sort of advice.

I put a Millers Nanodrive oil in; works great on engine, so why not gearbox?

Update:

I called Opie Oils who recommended RED LINE Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90NS GL5 (non Limited Slip).
They said the Limited Slip fitted to our gearboxes doesn't need a specific LS oil but a friction modifier could be added at a later date if required.

steve r said:
Update:

I called Opie Oils who recommended RED LINE Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90NS GL5 (non Limited Slip).
They said the Limited Slip fitted to our gearboxes doesn't need a specific LS oil but a friction modifier could be added at a later date if required.

This is true, even with an LSD you use the same oil as you normally would and Porsche recommended 75/90 will do.

Be very careful undoing the fill/drain.

Make sure you undo the fill first. I recently did mine and at 56k the fill was seized in solid, it actually snapped the 10mm allen bit on my breaking bar, luckily it sheared off clean and i could put the remnants out.

I ended up having to use a bit of heat on the casing and it then undid fine.

There are Limited Slip Diff specific oils in the range and made by other companies but they said they weren't necessary for our cars.

Thanks for the tip on the fill plug :thumb:

Just done mine, and echo what pye21 says.

The fill plug should only be done up to 21 lbft torque.

Clean plug and case well with a wire brush. Make sure the hole that the 10mm allen socket fits in, is completely clear of rust and debris. Then gently heat till very warm, spray with plus gas, leave for 30 mins. Tighten the plug a small bit first, then undo.

The threads should be spotless, its just the mounting flange bit of the plug that corrodes a bit to the ally case.

I have a Porsche LSD in mine code 222,224 etc

I used Motul Gear 300 75W90 100% ester synthetic from Opie. No real difference in gear change quality. Who knows whether the LSD still works? Car has done 88,000 miles. Hooks up well out of corners though......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back