Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 suspension - ohlins too harsh ?

Depends if the flex of the bushes has been taken in to account and plays an active part in the target geo when under compression as opposed to at rest I guess.

I'm sure Porsche dialled in an amount of flex to their numbers and by fitting more or less solid bushes you could perhaps be undoing that and actually making things worse not better under pressure.

I would of thought ohlins to be one of, if not the best suspension set up option for a road going 993. :?:

HPNer said:
highway said:
Polybushes are less compliant than rubber. I had my car polybushes and in hindsight wish I'd stayed OEM.

Well, you may have opened a can of worms there . . .!
I'm no engineer, but I want my Geo set up to stay as it was set, without any real movement. Rubber was probably the material of choice back in the day for a variety of reasons, not the least being comfort from compliance (attempts to increase comfort and reduce NVH can be seen throughout a vanilla 993).
The snag is that rubber bushes degrade from the moment you stick them on the relevant part (and that's before you even stick them on the car!).
:bandit:

Whilst the degrading property of a rubber suspension bush is no doubt far quicker than a replacement poly item, i'd wager that Porsche and pretty much every other car manufacturer use rubber for a reason. Science must have proved its worth over the basic manufacturing cost of an item.
991's are still using rubber bushes within their suspension componentry. :thumb:

C.

Barryn said:
Chaps, no need to speculate at the moment, I'm removing the Koni fsd's MO33 (no issues with them btw, great shocks) to try out the Ohlins. The cars is booked in to Centre of gravity early May.

Fitted the front dampers yesterday and will do the rears when I get back from Spain in a couple of weeks.
Quality of the units are beyond reproach and they are lighter :D

Fitted some Superpro ARB's whilst I was there as well..

I do a thread about it after its complete..

Barry

Hi Barry - may I ask which springs are you fitting with the Ohlins damper units?

I've had KW V3s before and whilst the car never felt more planted and stable, the stock KW springs were just too stiff for UK roads. They were superb on track days too, of course, though not so good on the way home...

I imagine this is because KW established their set up on the billiard-table smooth tarmac of Germany and did nothing to adapt the package for badly maintained rally-stage surfacing we have to endure in the UK.

Hence I'm curious to know how Ohlins have approached this...

tim

Poly is cheaper than OEM rubber and as stated above, rubber doesn't last. Thus the poly option looks better on paper. You have to lose compliancy going that route- don't see how you can't.

Nvh normally increases as you go harder on bushes. If they could get away with it sports cars would have rock hard bushes and handle much better on the roads at the expense of noise and harshness. The trade off is cheaper rubber bushes. Ohlins are overkill for a road car tbh, you can get a decent ride out of stock new dampers or koni fsd etc. Perfectly acceptable. If you have cash to flash then by all means fully adjustable Ohlins will be cool.
Once you set them up you'll probably not touch them again which sort of defeats the object if you d9nt track it but gives options for playing if needed.
I had Ohlins on a road mx5 and never stopped playing with settings:)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back