Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Cup Steering wheel - assembly?

Pip1968

Pretty much as titled. I bought a Cup steering wheel from Gert at Carnewal (gret service). It is something I have been thinking about for a while. That or a refurbishment of the OEM one. Mark Turner's thread gave me a gentle reminder.

Anyway it arrived yesterday and it comes in a few more pieces than I thought. :dont know: Anyway I am happy with the airbag side of things (I think). Just solder the resistor across the connectors for the connector.

What I would like to know is in what order the bits are attached to the column. Ensuring you mark the centre point seems to be key as well as key to position 1 and disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes before starting work. I have read the how to do its on here although some pictures are missing and neither explain in laymen's terms the order of fitment.

I have attached pictures in the hope that someone can give further direction. I would like to get it done for my drive to the meet at Porstmouth with Total911 on Sunday.

Pointers welcome.

Pip

Attachments

• hub_180.png
    hub_180.png
    914.1 KB · Views: 7,518
  • horn_and_clip_160.png
    horn_and_clip_160.png
    906.7 KB · Views: 7,516
  • wheel_with_horn_and_plate_156.png
    wheel_with_horn_and_plate_156.png
    819.2 KB · Views: 7,512
Pip, I'm afraid I don't have the answer but I'm watching/bumping this thread because this is something I'm very interested in.

And good luck with it!

Your assembly order is correct. The centre thing I don't have & looks like a spacer to me? I have a removable wheel though & that brings it closer.

It's really pretty obvious once you take the old one off though.

Is this wheel going on a 996 or 997? I bought the same wheel from Gert, which is a 996 wheel, and was assured it would fit my 997. It does... with a bit of ... modification

Thank you Nick. I was beginning to think that all the tinkerers were away on track days :) .

So the thick ring piece (12mm thick -see picture) is a spacer that I will not need. Well at least that is something I will not have to worry about.

Roro, mine is a 996 so hopefully I will not have any issues or need to modify. What did you need to do to your to get it to fit?

Well hopefully I will have a successful tinker tomorrow.

Pip

Attachments

• spacer_284.png
    spacer_284.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 7,419
You just need some finger extensions now so you can reach the indicator stalk :D

Pip1968 said:
Thank you Nick. I was beginning to think that all the tinkerers were away on track days :) .

So the thick ring piece (12mm thick -see picture) is a spacer that I will not need. Well at least that is something I will not have to worry about.

Roro, mine is a 996 so hopefully I will not have any issues or need to modify. What did you need to do to your to get it to fit?

Well hopefully I will have a successful tinker tomorrow.

Pip

From memory it was one of the little black bits that stick up around the edge of your second pic. One of them had to go but other than that it was quite an easy fit. It was actually Matt @ Porschacare that fitted mine. The steering wheel didn't align correctly (the holes weren't in exactly the right place and had to be ever so slightly off centre to drive in straight line), but Centre Gravity fixed that for me through the geo last weekend

Senoj - it's not actually that bad - and then not an issue at all since I remembered the steering wheel adjusts for reach (on the 997, don't know about 996) :grin:

You have fitted the wrong wheel for the 997 Roro ;)

It should be a flat OMP wheel, not a dished Momo. Pip has the correct (and nicer imho) wheel for a 996.

I have just done this, it's more in depth than you think and the instructions from gent are incomplete.

When you pull the swishing steering wheel off you need to remove the norm ring below that also and unplug this back at the connectors. One of the connectors is the airbag, orange I think. This needs your resistor soldering across them.
You then need to solder a plug onto the horn live, which is one of the cables on the other connector. The live is the brown cable. You need a female bullet connector that will plug into the pin on the back of the 964 spring horn connection. To plug this in, you need to break off a tab on the plug that sits behind the column to the RHS. Should be obvious where, the connector only fits in the column one way.

You will then plug the connector in, sit the boss on, should be marked as top so be careful when removing your wheel. Then you need the thin ring, then the wheel itself. 12mm spacer can be fitted between the boss and thin ring. The centre cap goes on next and plugs into the cable from the boss. There is no cable plugged into the thin ring and Gert will have sent you an earth cable that is t needed. That is used on other types of centre cap that have a second connection for an earth, the Porsche one earths through the thin ring using a wire on the cap.

Make sure you do all the electrical connections with the battery disconnected and only put it back on once your complete.

I have a document written in word with some pics that I could email to anyone if my post doesn't make sense.

I bought a bag of 100 connectors for my horn connector so have plenty and I even have another airbag resistor soldered and heat shrunk into a plug if anyone needs that.

NXI20 said:
You have fitted the wrong wheel for the 997 Roro ;)

It should be a flat OMP wheel, not a dished Momo. Pip has the correct (and nicer imho) wheel for a 996.

Yes so you've mentioned to me before :)

It's "wrong" insofar as it's not a direct plug n play replacement, but I agree it looks far nicer than the OMP wheel which is why I went for it. Although as we've seen it's not a simple replacement for 996 either. The 997 'reach' issue is solved simply by adjusting the wheel so the rim is further away from you and closer to the stalks/dash. So I'd need to see Cunno's wheel for instance to compare distance from the dash, but I don't think mine is that much further away than his OMP wheel

Well over 45 mins f'...ing around and I am at present a broken man. I have not even hit first base in undoing the two T30 screws on the rear of the OEM steering wheel. Not only is it bloomin' awkward to line up the torx key but when I do I think they have been torqued like wheel nuts and they just won't budge. I am now toying with paying for Porsche to undo the screws for me and then giving it back to me to finish.

I hate quitting and would rather stay up to the early hours than surrender to the Germans :pc: :wall: :gunfire: :gunfire: :wall: :wtf:

I am worried that continuing will make the situation worse in rounding the screws.

Pip
"Yellow surrender monkey"

Pip1968 said:
Well over 45 mins f'...ing around and I am at present a broken man. I have not even hit first base in undoing the two T30 screws on the rear of the OEM steering wheel. Not only is it bloomin' awkward to line up the torx key but when I do I think they have been torqued like wheel nuts and they just won't budge. I am now toying with paying for Porsche to undo the screws for me and then giving it back to me to finish.

I hate quitting and would rather stay up to the early hours than surrender to the Germans :pc: :wall: :gunfire: :gunfire: :wall: :wtf:

I am worried that continuing will make the situation worse in rounding the screws.

Pip
"Yellow surrender monkey"

Is this just to get the airbag off? Isn't that the easy bit :floor:

Sorry, not much help...

Well shortly after my post and total annoyance I tried an 3/8 wrench with the T30 on the end (instead of a T30 bar or the screwdriver option) and got the bag off but became stuck again as to what else needs removing. I shall attach two more pictures of possibilities but will bang the wheel back on tomorrow and go to Portsmouth and use local knowledge :D . Here is hoping.

I sort of assume that the black cassette needs to come off so that the tab on the 'neck/extender' has somewhere to sit.

Pip :?: :?: :?:

Ps No2 photo is actually the pre position to No1 although posted in the wrong order - you will see the 24mm nut still in place.

Attachments

• 2_124.png
    2_124.png
    608 KB · Views: 7,249
  • 1_231.png
    1_231.png
    724 KB · Views: 7,246

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member