Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering issue?

mb911

My 2005 2.7 Boxster has developed a concerning noise on the steering. I've not used the car for about six weeks so it has been stood still for that time. On deciding it was time to move it, as soon as I turned the wheels there was a graunching sound both left and right, the further to full lock, the worse it got.
After a bit of movement the noise has confined itself to about 3/4 full lock and beyond but still left and right.
The car drives fine, power steering is still as it has always been, it's just that noise and I cant see anything obvious. It is not a sound of something loose and rubbing, more something that sounds mechanically moving on the steering itself. Also sounds like it's coming from the wheel end rather than on the steering rack or anywhere central. Also noticed that the car seems to be catching the ground a lot more, almost like the ride height has dropped a bit - nothing obvious again and the tyres are at normal pressure etc

Is it worth giving the car a run and see if its just something a bit seized or is it an imminent trip to the garage?

Have you checked the fluid level. When I put the new engine in my 996, I forgot to top up the fluid and it whined horribly.

Its unlikely given you can hear the noise from the front but worth checking there isn't a system leak.

Yes, fluid level is fine. Also checked where the car had been sat and there was no signs of any fluid leaks either

My money would be on the top mounts for the struts or the ballpoint in the front coffin arms (both common fail points)

To diagnose these I'd be putting it on stands and moving the wheels back and forth. Removing the track rod ends (just the nut and taper into the hub) will help with localising any failure.

Very unlikely to be the column.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back