Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project Blue Book

Right fellas. I could do with your help here....
Not sure it works :?:
I'm glad I made the mock-up just to see, but what's everyone think?

Anyway, we move on.
Remember these?

Well check them out now :eek:

Can hardly recognise them now!
The fronts are 911 with vented disks. This is my brake upgrade. I have kept the rears as they were.

911 five stud hubs are now broken down and ready to go off for vapour blasting.

So time to get the car up in the air to remove the front stuts, hubs and brakes.
This is to gain access to the inner flitches so I can weld in the front anti roll bar brackets. These get welded from the inside, however they need to be marked up on the outside (and measured) first.

You can see here the shape pressed into the body for them.
The 'Sway Bar' as our pals from across the pond call them, was a factory option. However, not fitted to mine :frustrated:

I am keeping the lower arms in place to align the bar links.
I then stated the arduous task of chipping and scarping the aftermarket underseal off......this is ganna take some time, will and effort. If anyone fancies helping out, let me know. Plenty of tea and sarnies on offer.

All the best,
Chief

Nice work Chief :worship:

Who's are the gold teeth? :grin:

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
Nice work Chief :worship:

Who's are the gold teeth? :grin:

Cheers,
Paul

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Only you could come up something like that :puh:

Coming along great , lights not to sure about them Chief , think i prefer the originals, you would need a additional brake light fitted somewhere as they are very small, brake calipers are lovely and like the arches as long as you can fill them that is :thumb:

Thanks for the input fellas. I totally agree about the lights...
I thought it might work, but now the car is so wide they look lost.
At least I only lost a couple of hours poncing about with card and glue :grin:

Kieth,
Wheels will be gold Campag Reps...

Attachments

• group4_campags_463.jpg
    group4_campags_463.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 3,634
Not sure where we left this as i've been consumed with the anguish of selling Zanzibar :nooo:
But onward and upward as they say.....
So, time to take out the pedel box and master cylinder along with associated pipe work.

Everything came out without a hitch. Even cracking the brake unions was a breazeeeee.....

plenty of fluff and another American coin.

Master cylinder will be changed for a larger bore version to suit the larger 911 vented front disc brakes.

So onto more scraping with a screw driver as it seems the only way to do this. It chips it off the body with minimal damage to the paint work.

I have to say it's a sh**** job and soul destroying, but it must be done. The car is getting lighter by the day!

Ok, I will put my hands up here and admit i've made a bit of a mistake. The drive shafts need to come out. I know that the hub nuts are torqued up to 300 foot pounds + and no way of getting them off up in the air. So I thought I would slit the nut to get it off. However! I over did it :oops:

Got the drive shaft out......but.

Over did it.....
Never mind. I guess I was tired :evil:
Anyway. The reason to get them out now was to check that all the splines line up with the new five stud hubs.

So a blob of red paint and a count up.
Drive shaft stub axle 37 splines, lovely.
Five lug hub 28 :eek: Sh**.......
Oh well back to the supplier.
As that little lot didn't go so well I thought i'd start mocking up the rear anti roll bar.

You basically replace the bottom shock bolts with ones with nice roundy knobs for the drop links to fit in. Then weld the red brackets to the underside of the boot floor. Then you need some strengthening plate welded from the top as well. This is why I need the drive shafts out. However more parts missing!!!!! no bar bushes and one drop link cup missing :nooo:
With that i've given up and come in to update this....
Early bath for me and the fire off a couple of harsh e-mails :grin:
All the best, and to Tim, enjoy sunshine!
Chief

The tribulations of stripping an old car had a crap few days as well crank sensors were seized in the bracket not only foobarred the sensor but also broke the bracket :nooo:

so is Zanzibar away to a new home ?

nice day to be pottering in the garage :thumb:

Hi Gaz,
Yep I guess you're right!
Old cars with stuff that's never been off before....
Mine however was down to me been a bit of a Di** Head! :grin:

Some inspiration from Essen for you Chief prices for 914 were bonkers hideous brown one was 50k

Attachments

• essen_110_212.jpg
    essen_110_212.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 3,388
  • essen_195_101.jpg
    essen_195_101.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 3,388
  • essen_276_739.jpg
    essen_276_739.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 3,388
All brilliant stuff.

It looks like I'm in the minority but I like the dingy cute rear lights, although would like to see three.

Hmmm, looks like I'm going to be in the money :grin:

Thanks for posting Gaz. And thanks our Pete. Not sure it works to be honest and will be a lot less work :puh:

Chief said:
Hmmm, looks like I'm going to be in the money :grin:

Knowing how your mind/chequebook/OCD work Chief, I very much doubt that :sad:

I`m with Pete on the rear lights, 3 with a slightly larger diameter would look good :thumb:

Looking at those finished 914s with your flared arches, they look absolutely epic :grin:

There must be a way of dropping a 3.2 6 pot Boxster motor in there matey, you know it makes sense :thumbs:

Arh Kris, you know me so well...... :puh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back