Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road Trip

Jamesx19

Hockenheim
Hi All,

As proof the car is fixed after all the shenanigans with sorting the wayward handling....

See thread for if your bored!! - http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118833&highlight=suspension+handling

I took my car, an early example of a C2 manual. Arctic Silver...... of course. (Did they do any other colours?)

It has the Aero kit, sunroof delete, and 014 sports pack from the factory. The later GT3 wheels were added before I bought the car, and turned out to be genuine Porsche, which was nice.

The wheels are a bit heavier than all the other rims, but I like the look. Shallow....... I know.
I have considered the OZ alleggerita's but not sure I want to appear as a Jethro Bov. fan boy!

Anyway, 700 miles in 3 days. Driving from Brighton, up to North Wales where my Dad lives, a little jaunt around some decent roads, then back to Brighton again.

Here are a few pics, and a rather shaky hand held video. My Dad was driving so If the lines through the corners are questionable, its nothing to do with me.

Exhaust is some Eisenmann valved back boxes (Valves seized open) and the Sports Cats that "Richie CLR" had fitted to his last year.

If you get the chance to visit this part of the world in your Porkers, definitely do it. Ask Y2K as he was here last year as well...

Cheers James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsUDlp1MgAE

KTeDIOR.jpg

4IpFeOL.jpg

f9WmCHf.jpg

c7e6f0d.jpg

Very Nice! I would really like a good condition silver aerokitted 3.4 like that. :thumbs:

Thank you V much. Pictures are fairly flattering. Paintwork is not the best by a long way.

Looks like a great trip. Lovely car. Good score those wheels being genuine. Very rare.

Roads look great, which ones do you recommend, we will probly head in that direction after Silverstone Classic in August.

Hi Stuart,

You can pretty much choose any road in North Wales its going to be pretty good. The issue will be tourist traffic in August. That said, a 4.30am start should see you fairly clear till about 7 am ish. Not much of an issue this time of year of course, but will start to get busy from Easter.

A couple of my favorites are:

A4212 from Trawsfynydd to Bala. (Cracking road, Good Open and flowing)

B4391 Ffestiniog back down to the A4212 (Tight and technical narrow road, great views)

B4391 Bala to Llangynog (Mini alpine route tight tight, technical narrow - great views at the top)

B5105 from Ruthin to Cerrigydruddion. (Locals road again narrow and tight)

Evo triangle - Cerrigydruddion B4501 till A543 then back down to Pentrefoelas then back to Cerrigydruddion.

Anything around here is good. There are the main routes which are also lovely and more suited to our cars traffic and The Law allowing A494 Bala to Dolgellau then A487 to Aberystwyth.

Then A44 to Llangurig and A470 north back up to Glantwymyn. (I haven't done this recently though so unsure)

Have fun! Cheers

Great pictures there! What camera did you use?

Also, what's your opinion on the A4069 (Black mountain pass)... I'm looking to make the trip to Wales for a nice drive around the Brecons, so looking to plan it soon!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Camera is just the one on my phone, a Molorola!

I'm sad to say I've not been down to the Breacon Beacons yet and sampled the Black Mountain pass. On the to do list.

The area around Bala and Evo Triange is known to be littered with unmarked cars and mobile police laser cameras. Is that still the case?

Nice to see another aerokit car looking good.

I looked at those wheels and was also astonished how heavy they are; most odd for a GT3 application, isn't it?

Looks a great trip, well done.

p.s. At least 2 black aerokit C2s on this forum.

Jay. said:
Great pictures there! What camera did you use?

Also, what's your opinion on the A4069 (Black mountain pass)... I'm looking to make the trip to Wales for a nice drive around the Brecons, so looking to plan it soon!

Lovely road. Until they stuck a 40 limit on it. :-(

Didn't seen any Speed detectors etc. Maybe get something through the post if they had a helicopter up - hope not...

Alloys are very much on the weighty side. Almost 24kgs inc tyres on the rear.

Having had a car with 225 fronts and 265 rears before, the extra width of the rear tyre at 295/30R18 kills the adjust-ability of the car a bit as well I think.

That said, I did get to sample the "911 dance" push of slight understeer going into the corner, apex, nail the throttle, and feel the car move from understeer to a slight oversteer balance, almost like it passes through the car from front to back. Lovely feeling, and I ended up trying every corner to replicate it. Unsuccessful mostly, but when it happens its a great reward.

Exhaust is some Eisenmann valved back boxes (Valves seized open)

Weren't Eisenmann the OEM of the 996 PSE system? They were for my 996 C4S with PSE out of the factory

Nice pictures.

Sits very nicely; ride height must be very close to GT3.

Those Mk.2 wheels are very rare and expensive. Are the rears 11-inch? Are you running 225 front and 285 rear? If/when you sell the car it may be worth finding a set of Mk.1 and sell the Mk.2 separately.

I want the OZ Alleggerita too but I just don't think they look as nice as the GT3 wheels. Shame there ain't a lot of choices for light wheels. I bought a set of 5-spoke Carrera instead for an overall of 10kg saving. Money no object I'd love a set of BBS LM/E88. 8)

Also sunroof delete! Jealous! :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back