Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What Oil? (Again, probably)

Marky911 said:
I'd love to hear from anyone who's found a correct spec 10/50 that isn't millers. Not bothered about Porsche approved, just correct spec. :thumb:

What do you mean by spec? API? ACEA? porsche A40?

Fuchs do a good 10w-50. Used to be called Silkstone Pro S. I think it's now Fuchs Titan Syn Pro S. A decent Ester fully synthetic oil.

Millers also do cfs in 10w-50 which is cheaper than their nanodrive.

Morning Monkey, thanks for the suggestions.
Yes I just mean suitable spec for my year of car so ACEA or API. A40 is the approved Porsche list spec so I won't find a 10/50 A40 spec as Porsche don't approve of 10/50 for our engines.

That oil I linked to is perfect spec, API SJ but for some reason the company wouldn't say one way or another.

Anyway like I say I'll go with my Indys stuff for a year then go back to Millers next year.
:thumb:

Opie oils always email offers, I buy Millers when they have a good offer on and then just keep it until I need it. I think they give an additional 5% off your first order as well.

as above millers nano, not used a drop in 1000miles (115k engine)

Marky911 said:
Morning Monkey, thanks for the suggestions.
Yes I just mean suitable spec for my year of car so ACEA or API. A40 is the approved Porsche list spec so I won't find a 10/50 A40 spec as Porsche don't approve of 10/50 for our engines.

That oil I linked to is perfect spec, API SJ but for some reason the company wouldn't say one way or another.

Anyway like I say I'll go with my Indys stuff for a year then go back to Millers next year.
:thumb:

Ate you sure you have your specs the right way round? SJ is an old spec - SL / SM are more current. But not always that relevant to old school engines as the world's is going downsized boosted now so the specs cater for this environment. So SL is fine but bear in mind that API are American specs and generally US oil is much lower quality than euro oil (but they change it much more frequently to make up for that). Having said that ACEA specs are quite old now - A3 has been around for a while, I'm not sure if it gets updated our not.

OEM specs are normally much more severe than industry standards. So if an oil passes VW / BMW / GM / Merc etc its probably fine. To be honest even if it doesn't have those OEM specs its not too say they wouldn't pass - it just costs a bloody huge sum of money to submit for testing and you just wouldn't for a high quality Motorsport oil, you do that for your high volume general consumer product.

Generally if it's fully synthetic, it will be a good product. Make sure it's the correct spec (ACEA A3) then choose your grade and your favourite brand, based on price, loyalty or whatever else. You can't go too far wrong.

Good info Monkey. Cheers.

Yes SJ is old but is very relevant e.g. suitable for our engines, as post I linked to, as it dates back to when our engines were new. Some of the newer specs SM etc don't have the same additives for our components.

My Indys oil is proper A40 spec but only 5/40 obviously. I'd rather go 10/50 as my car only sees summer use and doesn't do short journeys so the 10 grade at start up is worth it for the 50 grade when hot.

Yeah most fully synths are good these days so I'll keep reading when I'm bored and see what's out there.
The Morris stuff I linked to is 10/50 and so similar to millers 10/50 spec and viscosity wise. Only £66 for 10ltrs which is half the price of millers.
Still tempted to give it a go.

I used to have a BMW 535D and used a big BMW specific Indy over in Sheffield. They use Morris Lubricants.

Marky911 said:
Good info Monkey. Cheers.

Yes SJ is old but is very relevant e.g. suitable for our engines, as post I linked to, as it dates back to when our engines were new. Some of the newer specs SM etc don't have the same additives for our components.

My Indys oil is proper A40 spec but only 5/40 obviously. I'd rather go 10/50 as my car only sees summer use and doesn't do short journeys so the 10 grade at start up is worth it for the 50 grade when hot.

Yeah most fully synths are good these days so I'll keep reading when I'm bored and see what's out there.
The Morris stuff I linked to is 10/50 and so similar to millers 10/50 spec and viscosity wise. Only £66 for 10ltrs which is half the price of millers.
Still tempted to give it a go.

Yes one hand hand SJ dates back to when our cars were new but technology moves on and improves. Ester synthetics and even full PAO synthetics were not common back then but these are significantly better than mineral oils. On the other hand yes some new oils have a different additive system for modern after treatment devices that we don't need to worry about. Rarely a consideration with Motorsport type oils tho

Costco

From April 3rd they have 20% off Castol Edge - 4 litres is under £26....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back