Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Question about tires

That's because the cars you mention run 11" wide rear wheels.

And "reducing over steer" or "increasing understeer". You say tomaeto, I say tomato. Either way I don't want it. I'll stick to what Porsche developed thanks. :p

:thumb:

I run sport design wheels with 265 section on the rear and 235 on the front. The fronts are Goodyear Eagle F1 and the rears are cheapo dichfinders, but I still find the rear over-tyred.

295 and even 285 on a C2 or C4 is massive orverkill. Porsche only lets you put 285 rears on because they know this sells cars to people who put aesthetics ahead of handling.

These cars naturally understeer and you really have to get the geometry bob-on, as well as not make bad tyre decisions if you want a neutral car. I have even resorted to running wihtout a front anti-roll bar in the past to kill the understeer, and am shortly to be resorting to a base-model boxster one to soften the front roll stiffness to get it to grip more.

Check out ELA's car and you'll see that he's specced much narrower tyres on the rear (245 IIRC). This is because he's building a car that is intended to be neutral rather than understeery.

I've recently bought some Carrera 5 spoke 18" wheels, so this thread is pertinent to my interests.

They're 8" front and 10" rear, I was going to go with 225/40 on the front and 265/35 on the rear - I understand that 285/30 is an approved option but hoped that the higher sidewall to tread ratio of the 265/35 would be a bit more compliant. I'm coming from 17" wheels with 255/40 on the rear.

Am I kidding myself and there'll be no discernable difference between 265/35 and 285/30?

Probably no difference, but any difference that there is will be made more discernable depending on your suspension. If you have stock shocks/springs then probably no difference, but if you have something harder then this will make differences in the tyre more apparent.

However, by going to 285 on the back without going to 235 on the front, you're just making an already understeery car worse. Stick with the 265 section on the rear and add 15mm spacers if you want it to look boss.

Thank you everybody for the valuable input!

Still haven't decided what to do yet :)

For what it's worth i just fitted Kumho PS91 all round to mine in the OEM sizes, 265 rear and 225 front. The PS91 is recommended by the tyre manufacture as suitable for 911 - it is one of the 'sample vehicles' they mention for it. They are marketed as a rival to Michelin Pilot Super Sport to give an idea of characteristics.

mmcd87 said:
For what it's worth i just fitted Kumho PS91 all round to mine in the OEM sizes, 265 rear and 225 front. The PS91 is recommended by the tyre manufacture as suitable for 911 - it is one of the 'sample vehicles' they mention for it. They are marketed as a rival to Michelin Pilot Super Sport to give an idea of characteristics.

I and a few others have great results from the KU39, one down the pecking order from a PS91. Would interesting to hear your thoughts when they are worn in a bit.

http://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/new-super-tyre-for-the-supercar-coming-to-the-uk-the-kumho-ps91/

wasz said:
I and a few others have great results from the KU39, one down the pecking order from a PS91. Would interesting to hear your thoughts when they are worn in a bit.

http://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/new-super-tyre-for-the-supercar-coming-to-the-uk-the-kumho-ps91/

Hoping to get a decent run out in the car now the weather is improving. Not sure if I'm allowed to link but there is a bit more detail here http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=230&t=1621214&p=8

I have KU39 on my Mazda Mx5 and they are great on that so I wasnt to worried about trying these out.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back