Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It's a runner

decgraham

Fitted the new camshaft cover seals today along with the new bolts and all went well. :D Then began the task of refitting all the various bits and pieces to put the rear end back together. Once done reconnected the battery turned the key and hey presto started first time :D A job well done and I'm very happy with the result, I just hope I don't have any oil leaks now which was reason for the strip down.

Once you get into these cars they are not as complicated as you might think.

ATB :)

Attachments

• lhs_181.jpg
    lhs_181.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 3,207
  • rhs_172.jpg
    rhs_172.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 3,207
  • its_a_runner_133.jpg
    its_a_runner_133.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 3,207
Well done matey. Very satisfying to take care of stuff like this yourself isn't it :thumb:

Great work Dec. Wish I had the time to do this myself.

Nice job, wish i was as brave

Thanks gents for all your kind words, being retired does make it easier but old age doesn't make it easier to crawl around under the blo*dy thing :lol:

As Dom said, it is very satisfying when you've done the job yourself and you know it's been done right!

In all I spent 6 days working on the car putting in about 5 hours a day. Had the weekend off to recover :lol: I achieved new seals for the camshaft chain covers, the camshaft covers, replaced the rear shock bump stops and gators and replaced the power steering pump cover.

I know a decent Indy would have done it a lot quicker but these jobs were a first time for me so I took my time, marked everything up and took plenty of pictures to ensure it all went back together correctly. I didn't have anything left over at the end so a good result. In fact I needed to add a couple of bolts that had obviously been left off the last time the car was attended to by a "Pro".

Nothing left in my spares draw now apart from oil filters which are due to be changed in June. I will now be driving my car and putting the tools away :D

Great work - that's my retirement dream - living in the sun and tinkering with old Porsches......

Dec, super work right there :thumb:

Whilst the Camchain covers were off did you have a look at the chain guides, long plastic affairs, I know they can wear.

Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Dec, super work right there :thumb:

Whilst the Camchain covers were off did you have a look at the chain guides, long plastic affairs, I know they can wear.

Trev

Hi Trev,

I did have a look at them. I too thought while the covers were off it would be silly not to have a glance. Pleased to report that at 101787 Kms about 63000 miles they were in good shape, nice tension on the chains and the chains looked like new. :D

Well done :thumb:

I did my offside one, took around 5 hours, as I had trouble with a couple of seized bolts ..... The new one still bloody seeps though :frustrated:

I read an article on the web on how to do it. It said have a cup ready for the excess oil that will drip out when removing the cam cover. Cover came off and then I spent the next 30 minutes removing 3 litres of oil from my face and arms. :nooo:

Hi wozy,

To be honest, on mine very little oil came out, about 50ml when I took the camshaft covers off :? perhaps it was because I'd had the rear end of the car up in the air for a couple of days before I addressed the covers, I attacked the camchain covers first. I had a few issues with bolts but after a good spray with WD40 and leaving them for 10 minutes to soak they were all fine. The only ones I had to drill out were 3 on the camshaft covers, 2 on the RHS and 1 on the LHS.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdj
Back