Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What Oil? (Again, probably)

TJW964

I want to buy some oil for my 996 Carrera 2 and some more for the 996 Turbo. Yes, I know they don't use the same oil, but wanted your input.

I only usually use Mobil, so that limits my choices, so where is the best place to get it from?

Over to you guys.

TJW964 said:
Yes, I know they don't use the same oil, but wanted your input.

Really?

Carparts4less using their home page discount code is usually cheapest.

Thought one was 0 and one 10, or something. Need to order some before I go off to Germany, again. Did it last year too, but thought I'd see who was doing the best prices at the moment.

there are as many opinions as there are brands of oil...
some swear blind on the Millers Nanodrive stuff, some on Mobil 1
The turbo and N/A use the same oil, as far as I know, though?

I use Gulf Formula ULE 5w-40 myself...

Check that it's Porsche A40 compliant and go from there! :thumb:

Used the Millers Nano 10/50 for last year.

Car still needed regular top ups (e.g. Usage didn't go down ), and temperatures and pressures didn't seem any different to running on Mobil.
Though took longer to warm up.

Oil change tomorrow , and going back to the mainstream stuff.

Millers is a PITA in terms of availability. Stresses me out knowing that I can't just call into local petrol station to pick some up should car need some. Had to take a litre to Germany last year just in case.

Also , it's more expensive and can never take advantage of the regular discounts on ECP for instance.

Wasn't the question "Where's the best placd to get Mobil from?"

I bought my Mobil from ECP when they had one of their weekly sales on, they have one every week so don't worry if you miss one! Think I got 40% off.
My Turbo seems to have a thirst for it so I always keep a few litres in the frunk.

Do yourself a favour - Millers Nano from Opie Oils. :thumb:

Its the very best for your P&J

Osh

Millers Nano all the way used it for two years zero oil usage etc

Mine starts better and runs more smoothly on Nano 10W-50.

Never loses a drop, either.

Mobil 5W-40 doesn't exactly have a faultless history of protecting engines....

I don't get ***** about brands, I just use 0 or 5W-40 fully synthetic and change it every 3000 miles without fail. Opie oils have plenty of good deals on oil, and Design911 do sometimes as well.

I care more about grade and spec than brand. I'd rather run older engines on 10/50 which really narrows it down. I'm not a cheapskate but ditching £130 worth of millers every spring even if the car has done a thousand miles gets a bit annoying, although it's still all I've used for years.
I'll be letting my Indy chuck some of his stuff in for this year as I won't get to use car much. Next spring it will get 10/50 millers again. The only reason I pay that price is that there isn't a similar 10-50 for less money.

I don't believe for one minute though that anyone can feel or prove that millers is better from an owners perspective. By that I mean without lab testing etc.
If your engine runs great and hasn't gone bang maybe it would have with other oil in too.
Likewise if an engine goes bang with other stuff in, prove it wouldn't have if it was on millers.

I almost bought 2 lots of this the other week. Very similar specs to millers 10/50 but when speaking to company they said they could not say it was or wasn't suitable as it's primary use is in Motorsport.
It's API SJ which is an oldish spec but perfectly age related to mk1 996s being from around 1999.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381965690806

API SH or SJ is ideal apparently, some newer specs have less of the old type additives for certain materials in our engines.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1807445

Anyway I decided why take a risk with an unknown to save £60 but I do begrudge paying £130 for oil. Clever marketing and regularly plugged by Hartech though.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's found a correct spec 10/50 that isn't millers. Not bothered about Porsche approved, just correct spec. :thumb:

isn't the point of the race oil that it will last longer and not degrade with heat cycling, so by paying 3 times as much for this longevity and then chucking after 1 year or 5000 miles aren't you wasting money....my view either use the standard stuff and change annually or pay more and keep it for longer?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back